Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Intense Carbine or Yeti SB66
  • Spice
    Free Member

Help needed on making my mind up on one these two frames just after some opinions please. Thanks in advance

emmodd
    Free Member

What kind of riding you likely to use it for? Love my Yeti.

Spice
    Free Member

trail riding – Peaks, Wales, Lakes etc and trail centre’s

br
    Free Member

Have you demo’d them both?

A pal demo’d the Yeti, and now bought the carbon 66 – when it arrives.

Spice
    Free Member

No not demo’d missed the chance to demo the yeti. Has the carbon version not got the chip in the suspension same as the ali one

kiwijohn

What chip? Mine don’t have no chip.

Spice
    Free Member

sorry the micro link was reading about the carbon frame saying it doesnt have the micro link on it like the ali one. Do you have the ali version as I didnt think the carbon was out yet.

kiwijohn

I’ve got the alloy.
    As far as I know, the suspension is identical on both.
    Still not exactly sure what you mean by micro link.

Spice
    Free Member

the Switch Technology in the rear suspension. Basically it is a unique dual-link suspension that relies on a concentric sealed-bearing pivot/micro-link that the main pivot actuates on- a pivot within a pivot.

copied and pasted the above from review on the sb66.

Anyway how is the ride? what sort of weight does it build up to?

Cheers for any feedback

kiwijohn

The carbon one gets all that, just in carbon.
    Mine weighs just over 13kg with an X9 2×10 build kit. A bit of that weight is in the wheels, EX500 rims instead of the lighter XR400’s, I actually prefer the stouter rims. Just need to go tubeless now.
    The ride I would call calm & controlled. Just sit down & roll through the rough.
    It’s pretty long in the top tube with a slack seat angle. Wouldn’t use a post with any set back. Climbing takes a bit of adjusting from my old bike, which was a bit shorter, but it climbs very well.

emmodd
    Free Member

Mine comes in at 28.65lbs with 1×10 X0, reverb and Fox 36’s. With 32’s and no dropper it would be lighter still. It climbs remarkably well and descends great. It is long but i prefer it – just put a short stem on. I dont find the seat angle particularly slack tbh. Where are you based? Could have a try if you liked.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

I would add the Ibis Mojo HD 160 and Nomad Carbon to your list.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

add Spicy its lighter

honourablegeorge

jockhaggis – Member

I would add the Ibis Mojo HD 160 and Nomad Carbon to your list.

Both of those are more “all-mountain” type bikes. Carbine and SB66 are just long travel trail bikes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nirvana Cycles in Westcott have an Intense Carbine you could demo

emmodd
    Free Member

Not being funny but thats just marketing garbage. There is 1 cm difference in travel and all a perfectly capableof being ridden up hill and down dale.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Ibis mojo 160 no question!

honourablegeorge

emmodd – Member

Not being funny but thats just marketing garbage. There is 1 cm difference in travel and all a perfectly capableof being ridden up hill and down dale.

In the SB66’s case, it’s how Chris Conroy of Yeti describes the bike. The Carbine doesn’t even have chainguide mounts. It’s a bouncy XC bike.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

How old are you?

the Switch Technology in the rear suspension. Basically it is a unique dual-link suspension that relies on a concentric sealed-bearing pivot/micro-link that the main pivot actuates on- a pivot within a pivot.

Do you actually read things like this and believe it?

It surely just a load of bollocks made up to sell bikes to idiots.

Why are you only considering these two bikes? Any sus design would do, an Orange 5 probably rides jsut aswell.

Buy something based on the ride/geometry/size/warranty etc. Not on some rubbish written in a review.

vinnyeh

Do you actually read things like this and believe it?

err, why wouldn’t it work a bit better than the average rear suspension? Obviously it’s quite complicated, but why would Yeti go to all the trouble, and extra expense of producing it unless it was an improvement?

deanfbm
    Free Member

What are you wanting/expecting out of your new bike?

What is your riding style?

What are your old bikes? What did you like/didn’t like? What was it about them?

Different people like different things, you can’t base your judgement on other peoples preferences. But all these “do it all bikes” are really good, you can’t really go too wrong any which way.

One thing i can comment about both frames, the suspension design is essentially the same, just packaged in different ways.

If you’re struggling deciding, go into a good bike shop (preferably the one who will be getting the frame for you) and have a good natter with a good sales person so you can hammer out what you want/need and work your decision from there.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

You haven’t test ridden either bike yet your making your mind up based on what some other people say on a forum?… 😯
    You also seem to be a little too excited about this ‘chip’
    I’ve got some new clothes I bought from this Emperor guy I know. ‘You interested? 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

err, why wouldn’t it work a bit better than the average rear suspension?

I read a review that seemed to say it rode worse than the average.

I’m sure the OP wouldn’t spend £2k-plus on a carbon FS frame without riding it though…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Both of those are more “all-mountain” type bikes. Carbine and SB66 are just long travel trail bikes.

Hardly!

If you look at the numbers, they are all near enough the same.

I would discount the Intense, because to make a bike they market as Trail/AM/Enduro with up to 6″ of travel with no provision for a chain device is silly.

The SB66 is a fat cow at 7.5lbs – you are giving 2 pounds to the Intense before you even start.

The Nomad C is ~6.0 lbs for the frame & shock & the Ibis is about 1lb more, if weight is important. The numbers on them all stack up pretty similar. Pick the one that suits you best.

wrecker
    Free Member

I saw one of those carbines in the flesh last week. I wanted to lick it.

Spice
    Free Member

Hi cheers for the feedback some of the comments are a bit odd on here.
    I have been riding for quite a number of years and do know my stuff as far as bikes are concerned and was merely asking for a little help making my mind up and getting feedback from people who maybe had either one of the bikes. So getting comments like I’m getting excited about a chip is a joke, I was asking a question about the suspension design not getting excited and I’m not making my mind totally on what people have written on here and would like to test ride the bikes 1st.

I have demo’d a Santa Cruz carbon nomad and a Ibis hd 160 and they are really good bikes, the SC is to expensive and the Ibis is a possible option so am considering that. I want to try and use my current fork on one of the frames which is a Revelation 150mm.

I currently ride a Orange 5 and is a nice bike but wanted a change something a bit more pedal friendly and possibly lighter frame but realise the sb66 is maybe same weight as the 5 but is different and supposedly pedal friendly plus it does look a nice bike, but I do realise its about the ride.

Many thanks for the comments so far which were sensible

br
    Free Member

Mountain Trak (nr Swinley) have a demo 66.

I currently ride a Orange 5 and is a nice bike but wanted a change something a bit more pedal friendly and possibly lighter frame but realise the sb66 is maybe same weight as the 5 but is different and supposedly pedal friendly plus it does look a nice bike, but I do realise its about the ride.

You’ll only really save frame-weight by going carbon, but tbh if you’ve already a 5 I think that you’ve little to gain looking at its competitors – why not treat it to some bling/lighter kit?

d45yth
    Free Member

OP – Have you thought of the Mojo HD140? You could use your current 150mm fork. This way you would have the option of changing it to 160 further down the line if needed?

Spice
    Free Member

Yeah the hd140 is a good option and is now on my list cheers.
    The 5 I have is a 2008 model so wanted to get something a little more up to date

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Wheelbase at Staveley (Lakes) have a SB66 on demo. I’m riding it in a few weeks.

Surely the SB66 is a bit burly/heavy for general UK trail riding? I was considering one but mainly for some Alpine blasting.

As said, Maybe the HD140 is about right….

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Yeti size guides are bizarre and I think responsible for some of the negative reviews (came close to buying a cheap ASR7). Their small was fractionally bigger than a medium SC but recommended for “small” riders. Try one based on what dimensions would suit you not their rider guide.

emmodd
    Free Member

Surely the SB66 is a bit burly/heavy for general UK trail riding? I was considering one but mainly for some Alpine blasting.

Depends on your build tbh. I think it feels really spritely. It’s no race bike but 28 and half pounds isn’t heavy.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

b r

You’ll only really save frame-weight by going carbon, but tbh if you’ve already a 5 I think that you’ve little to gain looking at its competitors

Aye, indeed. Cast aside these frankly foolish ideas of finding a better bike than the orange 5. I mean, some english can’t be wrong can they. There can’t be anything out there better than a rattly, ugly, boxy thing that needs a £600 shock to top it riding like a horse that’s trying to buck you off 🙂

But enough sarcasm, the 5 fanboys and orange company plants on this site are pretty laughable. Maybe the guy’s just sick of looking at his orange, maybe it’s haggard and in need of replacing and maybe there are better bikes out there.

chakaping
    Free Member

You’ll only really save frame-weight by going carbon

Or by getting a lighter alu frame.

Orange frames are heavier than average. Have a look at the Stumpy Evo, Giant Reign and Trek Remedy if you are not a badge snob.

Superficial
    Free Member

Don’t buy a lesser-performing bike just because it’s a bit lighter. You’ll regret it (although a lot of people seem to do it).

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Intense Carbine or Yeti SB66’ is closed to new replies.