Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Intense 5.5 – How much abuse can it take
  • Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Well I think i have read every review in existance on this bike (I Just built one) but what they dont say is how much abuse it can take, now from what I have read I can see it can be built burley (for what it does) and most reviews say its happy being thrown about and its very hard hitting……………………… compared to what? they also say its happy to keep up with a lot of DH bikes but just gets a bit sketch due to the short wheel base. So before I decide to throw this off anything too big, what do you think it can handle? Now the reviews seem very similar in all 20 or so I have read which is nice and consistant. I have also seen a video of someone jumping large doubles but dont kow what the effect was on the bike in the long term. pic to show the spec I went for… Any advice appreciated

thepodge
    Free Member

probably best if you only use it on the road and go round the pot holes.

Mitch36
    Free Member

And the mud clearance on that back wheel looks ropey, probably best to only use it as a FWB.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

its a bad photo the clearance is good! so much I could go up from 2.1’s to 2.4’s. I know I have gone for a lighter wheelset but I dont normally have an issue with buckling wheels and tbh as they were cheap I am not too bothered about doing so…. I am more on about the frame and forks

mamadirt
    Free Member

Have you had a look on the mtbr.com Intense forum? Loads of useful info on there. I was thinking the same this time last year and had a chat to the guys from Extra UK at Mountain Mayhem who steered me in the direction of the 6.6 and Slopestyle (couldn’t afford either but managed to get a deal on an ex-display Tazer frame). I think if anything with the 5.5 it would be the head angle that would hold you back on the steep stuff (with 140mm forks it is a lot steeper than my slackass 120mm equipped Tazer) but the build is pretty burly and I think the rear end is the same on the 5.5, 6.6 and Tazer. My friend used hers for everything from x/c to d/h until buying a Slopestyle and as far as I’m aware never had to change the bearings, whereas my Tazer developed a waggy tail within 7-8 months.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Yea the bearings Im not worried about, if they need replacing then so be it, I brought as I am moving from Downhill and wanted something that could take me anywhere on epic rides, xc but if I do hit some bigger stuff I wat to know what the limmit of the bike is.. im not a heavy rider style wise so bikes normally have an easy life we me.. Same with the headangles, it just feels right as im running a bit more sag, I guess its more how the actual frame / forks will hold up, im very happy with the feel and geometry of the bike, it does look and feel a bit slacker than others I have seen

rockfield
    Free Member

Its not the FRO one is it? I have the EVP one and it has been to the alps for the mega and to switchbacks in spain twice + plenty of times down the cwmcarn dh run. It can get a bit twangy in the back end when you are really ragging it but you wont ever bust it – there are loads of gussets everywhere. Another mate has one and he goes off all the biggest drops on the cwmcarn freeride park with no worries. I think the VPP gives you the sensation of almost bottomless travel? its kinda of hard to describe but great to ride. It definitely works better the more aggressive you are with it and the faster you go the better it feels. Just watch the fork top caps on the downtube if its a small or medium..
    great bike – I love mine!

jockhaggis
    Free Member

They’re pretty tough. My mate has one a rides it fairly hard (excuse the cliché). Drops, jumps and ‘the like’ no problem.

He’s never had any problems other than the odd bushing needing replaced.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

It is the EVP… if it can handle cwm carn DH thats great 🙂 I live not far away from there and thats prob as “gnar” as I will get with it, I want to get more into the long epic all day rides but still have a good ragging session..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Intense 5.5 – How much abuse can it take’ is closed to new replies.