Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Integrated headset jams my fork – help please
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

Need some help on what’s going on on my kid’s Giant XTC integrated headset. A year ago I fitted an old 2nd hand SID fork. I found that the when the top cap was tightened the fork would not move, the lower headset was jammed in contact with the crown of the fork. I put this down to ‘old fork’ and dremelled chunks of crown away to create a clearance. Not pretty but it worked.
    I have now come to fit a 2008 Fox fork upgrade and again I find the crown is jammed tight against the lower headset. I am not about to dremel this fork. It has done nothing wrong!
    What’s the deal with these integrated headsets? Am I missing a spacer ? There is no shim or spacer. Is this a sign that the lower headset is worn? Anyone else had this trouble? If I need a new headset which of the bazillion standards is the right one?
    Cheers
    D

andyl
    Free Member

have got a crown race fitted to the fork?

dazzydw
    Free Member

uummmmm….
    A crown race you say.
    No.
    Bugger. 🙄

orangeboy
    Free Member

Lol opps lol
    Sorry much laugthing

andrewh
    Free Member

Don’t headsets come with a crown race? Maybe we could have a disussion about this…

andyl
    Free Member

uummmmm….
    A crown race you say.
    No.
    Bugger.

😳 😆

please tell me the Sids had a crown race on and you didn’t hack the crown away for now reason!

If you can’t get the right crownrace from a Giant dealer than your best bet (other than new headset) is look at the markings on the bearings for an angle (there will be an inner and outer if a cartridge bearing) and find a headset with the same inner angle and an easily available crown race.

daveh
    Free Member

Best bet is to look on the original forks, bet there’s a wee crown race nestled on there lol.

easygirl

No-one with this lack of knowledge should have a dremmel 😀

wwaswas

No-one with this lack of knowledge should have a dremmel be building a bicycle for a child

ftfy 😉

You did put pads in the brakes?

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Too good to be true.

I am calling shens on this. Do I win £5

Very funny all the same 😀

dazzydw
    Free Member

Yeah yeah. Laugh it up fuzzballs.
    As the Great Sir Lord Tarrant says – its only easy if you know the answer.
    And it is all sorted and running beautifully smooth now. Thank you.
    Lucky you guys don’t know what I do for a living or you’d never fly on a huge commercial jet containing large quantities of jet fuel and engines that achieve temperatures hotter than the sun again. Happy holidays!

Edric64
    Free Member

Work for Rolls Royce in Filton?
    Or build Airbus wings in Broughton ?

P20

Any pics?

Toasty

Lucky you guys don’t know what I do for a living or you’d never fly on a huge commercial jet

Do you pack those dinners boxes, they’re often missing essential bits 🙂

zippykona

So did the sids have a crown race? Can’t imagine riding it without one.

scaredypants

Toasty: 😀

andyl
    Free Member

I believe we’ve found the guy who makes the oil pipes for the Trent 900….using his dremel 😀

Glad it’s sorted, good when it’s just something simple.

chip
    Free Member

I took my bike into halfords to have the forks replaced under warrantee as they had developed play in the bushes.
    When I went to pick the bike up from the bike hut manager I notice a lot of play in the headset.

He pulled an Allen key out of his pocket and attempted to remedy this and could not because when tightened enough to get rid of the play the forks were locked up.

So he said he would build me a new bike, which he later did.
    when I asked what was the problem he told me that they could not get the race off the old forks.

So not only did they knowingly try and send me away with a bike without a crown race but built me a complete new bike for the sake of it.

I do all my own repairs now.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Now all you need is for this thread to drop off the front page, never to be seen again.

PJM1974
    Free Member

We’ve all been there with a maintenance epic…haven’t we?

scaredypants

Now all you need is for this thread to drop off the front page, never to be seen again.

traditionally, crown race threads do tend to run a bit

wwaswas

crown race running, you say?

clubber
    Free Member

A crown race? It’ll never catch on 🙂

bump

dantsw13

My new maintenance mantra is “There’s always a reason it’s not working”. If I can’t work out what it is, I go for a second opinion before a hacksaw!!!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Those poor SIDS!

dazzydw
    Free Member

Those SIDs functioned perfectly and were WEIGHT REDUCED with a lower PARTS COUNT. They were OPTIMISED!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I had you down as a surgeon. they often manage to have a bit short or too many at the end of a job, allegedly.

If nothing else you’ve made some people laugh today.

wwaswas

I think if this was my thread I’d be hoping it quietly dropped off the front page, not keep bumping it up again 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

dazzydw – Member
    Those SIDs functioned perfectly and were WEIGHT REDUCED with a lower PARTS COUNT. They were OPTIMISED!

I think the word you were looking for was COMPROMISED 😉

K

Brilliant!

jonathan
    Free Member

It’s threads like this that keep me coming back to STW 🙂

Awesome

Rorschach
    Free Member

To ease your pain,I’ve seen that 5 or 6 times in my 10 years or so of hitting bikes with hammers for money ( and much much much much much worse).

retro83
    Free Member

Bad luck OP, I get the feeling this is going to be the equivalent of the Ambiwlans thread on Pistonheads 🙂

BillOddie

Yeah yeah. Laugh it up fuzzballs.

lovely attitude there!

Do you pack those dinners boxes, they’re often missing essential bits

damn beat me to it!

andrewh
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

I think if this was my thread I’d be hoping it quietly dropped off the front page, not keep bumping it up again

Mackem’s been thinking that about his crown race thread for the last three years…

BillOddie

Dazzy – which one of these did you use to “mod” your fork?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

What hammer for fitting forks?

dazzydw
    Free Member

You know there is at least one person who has read this thread and is now armed with new knowledge and mistake-avoiding info. Very quietly.
    I am happy to help Anonymous One.
    I shall now mostly be patenting the Fork With Integrated Race and will make billions. 💡

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So don’t all headsets come with crown races? 😉

andyl
    Free Member

is this still going? 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Integrated headset jams my fork – help please’ is closed to new replies.