• This topic has 38 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ianv.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • In't night riding brilliant?
  • Mugboo

Got my first singlespeed sorted at last and spent tonight riding ‘forbidden’ trails. Wonderful 🙂

Loving my TroutVision2 and R4 headlamp, plus the swampthing up front.

Bring on the night!!

lipseal
    Free Member

So long as you don’t come across one of these

jedi

yeah i love it. was riding glentress on sunday night, hopefully another herts shore ride one night this week too

Simon

Where did you ride?

Mugboo

Brown Cow, Cottingley woods, rocky Bw to Wilsden but sharp right at the bottom to bottom of stoneyard.

Side entrance to St Ives. Wall trail to Coppice, under bridge to bottom.

Round house to Cobra then down your steep as f*^% descent to 2 pints of Ramtam, mmm!

Simon

Nice 8) Had to make do with riding to and from work 😐

guitarhero
    Free Member

Emperors new clothes. I fully understand why you might partake if you have no alternative, due to shorter days, work/ family commitments etc.
    BUT. Night riding is nowhere near as good as riding during daylight hours. FACT

IMO obviously

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I should be getting a demo trout light in two weeks or so. 8) My halogens will be up for grabs, I’m expecting.

Mugboo

Like comparing Night & Day..

boltonjon

A MASSIVE YES!!!

After 15 years away from cycling, this great invention of night riding with good lights is just about the biggest buzz i’ve experienced yet!!

cooie

B.A.Nana, I’ll be sending the Cutie to anthonyb in a few days,a bit later than originally planned. Thought I’d let you know.
    It’s fantastic 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Cooie ok thanks
    is there a battery? Otherwise I’ll have to try and borrow an adapter lead or battery. Chris just lives down the valley from me, so shouldn’t be a problem.

cooie

Yes, there is a battery.

ianv
    Free Member

down your steep as f*^% descent

where abouts exactly is this please?

derekrides
    Free Member

It’s great, right up until the moment you come across a big trench some little scrotes have dug in your favourite trail in preparation for some future gap jump they’re planning and it’s become covered in leaves since they dug it..

Knocked me clean out stupid, came to dog licking my face…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Is night riding with a large amout of lumens really night riding? It was much more of a challenge and more fun when lights were less powerful. IMHO of course.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Put’s on boring old fart cap!

I would not recommend fixing such a large appendage to the side of your lid, that’s screaming out to me as a potential neck snapping anchor 8O. Sure, the risk is low and we all take spills virtually every time we ride (don’t we :wink:) – we all possess an innate method of ‘absorbing’ crashes, my point being such a device would be outside of our natural homunculus.

Please, I’ll not sleep until you promise to strap that thing to the bars and purchase a smaller one for your lid that sits neatly along the mid-line of ur lid, just shy of ur crown ….can be done!

derekrides
    Free Member

Love Tubs – Member
    Put’s on boring old fart cap!

I would not recommend fixing such a large appendage to the side of your lid, that’s screaming out to me as a potential neck snapping anchor 8O. Sure, the risk is low and we all take spills virtually every time we ride (don’t we :wink:) – we all possess an innate method of ‘absorbing’ crashes, my point being such a device would be outside of our natural homunculus.

Please, I’ll not sleep until you promise to strap that thing to the bars and purchase a smaller one for your lid that sits neatly along the mid-line of ur lid, just shy of ur crown ….can be done!
    😆 Thanks for you concern, but it (the bloody big light) isn’t actually on the helmet, the helmet is just resting on the bars of the bike as I took the shot to show some mates, I normally ride with a joystick, if you look close you can see the clamp just above the big light which is very firmly attached to the bikes handlebars, it’s muddy cos the whole lot disappeared down the ditch, I tried to clear it but too late, no kicker and hit the lip the other side, went up in the air and landed head first for the first time ever in my riding career and very painful neck whiplash with repeating headaches still coming and going it was..

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yes!
    It’s a buzz!
    different to daylight, but the same, ken?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1

rode last winter with a range of so-so lights (Hope Vision 1 and 2 mainly) and enjoyed it but was always struggling a bit to see.

This time I’m running a Lumicycle XPG and a cheap Ultrafire helmet torch and it’s MUCH better. I can almost go as fast a daylight speeds, on trails I know. Great fun.

Can’t wait for the first snow.

superfli
    Free Member

Not really done night riding in the summer, so I expect the novelty of riding at night AND over the winter will wear off in a few months. Its always the same, first couple of months and its great fun, much more concentration needed, slippy roots and mud, exciting stuff.
    A few months down the line and you’ll be begging for a dry summer trail! This is not knocking night riding, its just that it usually goes hand in hand with winter.

I’m loving it at the moment too 🙂

Note to self, must try night riding in the summer….

hammy7272
    Free Member

Just started night riding this year and love the freedom I have even if it is just on bicycle paths. Much better than the gym I feel. Can’t wait for frozen ground now!

bullheart
    Free Member

Love it. I’m going for a lap or two of Bedgebury tonight…

wwaswas

Night riding is nowhere near as good as riding during daylight hours. FACT

with more lumens that you can shake a stick at to light your way it’s better than daylight round my way.

No dog walkers
    No joggers
    No horse riders
    Fewer cyclists
    Cheeky trails to be ridden at speed.

what’s not to like?

rewski
    Free Member

what’s not to like?

Hidden dog’s eggs
    Startled deer, foxes and rabbits jumping out on you
    Bats
    Scythe-wielding silhouettes
    Being asked how many lumens have you got – it’s not about the lumens baby

Apart from that I love it, almost a full moon last night, and very very mild on the North Downs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

lovetubs – I attach my helmet lights with o rings so they will break away if given a decent thump for that very reason

derekrides
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    Night riding is nowhere near as good as riding during daylight hours. FACT

with more lumens that you can shake a stick at to light your way it’s better than daylight round my way.

No dog walkers
    No joggers
    No horse riders
    Fewer cyclists
    Cheeky trails to be ridden at speed.

what’s not to like?

+1 Totally echo that sentiment.

chriswilk
    Free Member

best bit of last night was riding up the spooky wood climb with no lights on. Almost as good was the descent with 2400 lumens

seosamh77
    Free Member

guitarhero – Member
    Emperors new clothes. I fully understand why you might partake if you have no alternative, due to shorter days, work/ family commitments etc.
    BUT. Night riding is nowhere near as good as riding during daylight hours. FACT

IMO obviouslyA factual opinion! love it! 😀

D0NK

‘salright I suppose

More nightride-ish now the weathers got a teeny bit inclement and the horde of recent nightride converts have given up (for the rest of winter presumably) it’s just not the same when you can see powerful lights all over the hills every direction you look..

oh and another vote for the occasional low lumen nightride, lots of fun.

Startled deer, foxes and rabbits jumping out on you

had a rabbit, that was trying to outrun me on a fast downhill, decide to switch from the left of the trail to the right between my wheels. I may have screamed some expletives, I’ve seen a few pics of mangled furry things in people front wheel and the resultant crash damage to rider

AndyP
    Free Member

no-lumen rides very much fun too. Just the moon, a bike and a hipflask.

Mugboo

Ianv – are you a Bingley local? If so lets get out for a ride. We may be able to both learn some new lines..

Also my steep as… Might be your walk in the park.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Laughing at myself 😀 😛 Did I mention I had an eye test last week….honestly 😯

ianv
    Free Member

Ianv – are you a Bingley local?

Wilsden, always up for learning some different trails.

Commuting = at least 3.5 hours Night riding a week for me, about 90% off road.

If I stick to my plan of always taking the long route, both ways, every day, that’ll be up to 6 hours a week. It hasn’t happened for a whole week yet.

Mugboo

Me too Ianv

Drop me an email, in my profile.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

down your steep as f*^% descent
    where abouts exactly is this please?

Bettys Wood(bottom of St Ives), I think

then down your steep as f*^% descent to 2 pints of Ramtam,

Simon’s line is more of a traverse I thought? I’ve seen a few kids around Bingley main st and down the twines, in full DH gear/bikes. I think they are creating lines in Bettys Wood, you maybe whizzed minced down one of them.

scraprider
    Free Member

out tonite on woodbury , wet , muddy , a bloody good laff.

ianv
    Free Member

Bettys Wood(bottom of St Ives), I think

Thanks

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘In't night riding brilliant?’ is closed to new replies.