• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Insuring your bike when travelling abroad
  • AB
    Free Member

Has anyone had any experience of having to insure their pride and joy when taking it on holiday?

I’m not sure whether it requires specific insurance or whether it can be tagged onto your standard holiday insurance for a fee?

Would obviously like to keep the cost down, but more concerned with having appropriate cover.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

DanW
    Free Member

I can’t offer any help I’m afraid but would also be very interested to know what people do to insure bikes when travelling and racing abroad

zerocool

Pretty sure my NFU home contents (2012) and my AA home contents(2013) covered my bikes abroad as long as they were secured to an immovable object. The underwriters agreed that having them chained up in/to my van also counted (unless they stole the whole van).

haven’t checked this year to see if there’s been any changes.

Tom KP

DanW
    Free Member

That sounds like pretty limited cover with a lot of wriggle room for the Insurer. I guess most people’s first concern travelling is damage during the flight followed by theft from the hotel/ apartment I guess. I’d imagine it is hard to find many immovable objects in a hotel room and I’d also guess that the usual travel insurance would be a massive PITA to deal with if the bike met over zealous handlers 😕 Not to mention the potential cost of a bike probably falling outside the max value covered. Most likely worrying about nothing but the peace of mind to know there was decent cover abroad would be very much appreciated 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Insuring your bike when travelling abroad’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.

How To Wash Your Clothes in the Wil...
Singletrack Video Archive: How To Wash Your Clothes in the Wild (Survivalist Guide)