Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • insuring a van
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Is it more expensive than a similarly priced car? If so, why?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Vans get broken into to see what is in them for one thing.

Vans carry pricy things

Vans are commercial vehicles and get driven by folks who dont care and so vans have more accidents.

Seaking as someone who has a vehicle that comes in car and van guise – vans twice as much to insure.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lets not forget a majority of drivers in the uk are shit at using mirrors evidently also

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bugger. Only two of us in the house so thought something like a vw caddy panel van would be good for shifting bikes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It is a good choice.

Insurance is a small part of owning a car if you can drive and have ncb.

Wen i say double …. Its only 250 the car versions little over 100 to insure….

Vans have bette residuals than cars if you buy the right ones at the right age:)

badllama
    Free Member

Mine wasn’t it was cheaper just make sure they will honour your NCB as some give you a load of bollocks about different type of vehicles etc etc..

I’ve gone from car to van back to car and kept my NCB running without issue just tell them their talking crap work for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What were you driving bad llama.

You cant compare different models and engines of cars vs van – thats not apples for apples.

Im talking about van vs combi in the same vehicle.

brodie
    Free Member

About the same for me.

Got a shock first time I pulled up at the Severn bridge though, thick end of 15 quid to get across!

badllama
    Free Member

Ok went from Landrover discovery to LDV Pilot to Shogun Sport van was the cheapest

Edric64
    Free Member

Thats because the LDV is to slow to get involved in a crash

robbieh
    Free Member

Bugger. Only two of us in the house so thought something like a vw caddy panel van would be good for shifting bikes.

I Have a caddy, it is £285 fully comp and my previous car last year (focus estate) was £180. The caddy is my “car” and is not used for work at all.

mark90
    Free Member

My insurance dropped by about 30% going from insuring a van to insuring the same van converted to a camper with an agreed higher value.

project
    Free Member

Vans are commercial vehicles and get driven by folks who dont care and so vans have more accidents

a lot of us van drivers who actually own and look after our vans have the same beliefs about company car drivers, but then the drivers dont pay for the insurance

trail_rat
    Free Member

Comercial/ company vehicles – is that better ?

I own and look after my van – doesnt stop most of the vans i see on the road being driven like a spakker was at the wheel.

project
    Free Member

i own and look after my van – doesnt stop most of the mondeo,bmw laguna vauxhall vectra type thing,etc, i see on the road being driven like a spakker was at the wheel

there fixed it for you.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nope in an effort to look smart you have infact just tried to adjust my observation . What you have done there is put forward your own view and attempted to pass it off as correcting mines.

Nice try though. I still see many more of the vans i see on my jouneys being driven stupidly despite what ever view you would like to press on me , baring in mind i see alot more cars thus more of them will be driven by idiots – but the % vs the number of cars see vs vans is less

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mine was the same as the cars.

Just shop around as normal

Del

mine a bit less than the car it replaced. direct line.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also to answer part one of your question just run a quote through online and see it’s. Ore conclusive than here

badllama
    Free Member

Thats because the LDV is to slow to get involved in a crash

Incorrect, a young lady on her phone wrote it off 🙄

I **** loved that van vastly under powered but bloody brillient for lugging bikes around. And every thing else 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Mine was loads cheaper.
    2003 Hyundai Trajet, 2.0 petrol insured for £430
    2004 Transit , 2.0 diesel insured for £360, when conversion to camper completed it was down to £204.
    On the other hand mate has looked at Astra Estate £700ish (he’s very young) and Astra Van (esentially same vehicle, but with fewer windows and seats) £1,600ish. No idea why that should be.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘insuring a van’ is closed to new replies.