Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Insuring a bike over 3k in an outhouse/garage
  • mrchrist

Hi,

Hopefully a quick question…

I am struggling to find a home insurance provider to insure a bike locked to a wall in a detached garage with a gold standard lock worth over 3k. The bike not the lock.

Anyone in the same boat and found a insurance provider?

I know you can get separate insurance but that is at least £200 where as home insurance is around £500 so seems daft to pay an extra 200 notes if not required.

MoreCashThanDash

Specified item on an Aviva/Esure contents policy?

grantyboy
    Free Member

I was an extra £63 to add cycle cover for bikes up to a value of £5k each. This is with quotemehappy

sofaboy73
    Free Member

esure – specified items on your home contents policy. 12K of bikes stored in an outbuilding adds something like £80-100 to my annual policy

mrchrist

But do they limit it to 3k per bike in out building?

I thought arriva did, will double check. And have a look at ensure. Thanks.

spannermonkey

Barclays bike only policy. Only has to be locked to ‘something’ or ‘inside a building’ & no lock/ground anchor requirements. Any/all bikes under £3.5k covered at £95 for the year

zerocool

If you have a £6k bike and your insurance only covers individual bikes up to £3k could you just not pay for 2 bikes wirth £3k and claim for them both if the more expensive one is stolen?

Hypothetically of course. I would never condone insurance fraud.

mrchrist

Risky strategy… Has it ever been tested?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Mine are all in a locked shed, no bike locks. Added as named on the policy. Adds maybe an extra 100 quid a year for 2 nice mtbs

whyter

Halifax do this. You have to specify outbuildings cover, and also specify the bikes.

argee

Read the small print, lots of insurers have conflicting t&a’s, always confirm in black and white in the event of having to raise a claim

thepurist

I think/hope AvivaPlus are OK for this…

ogden
    Free Member

Pedal Cover were as many bikes as I want up to a total of £25k I think

sofaboy73
    Free Member

But do they limit it to 3k per bike in out building?

no, it’s insured as a specified item, so the bike limit on the policy doesn’t apply. you tell them what it is and what the new replacement value is and that’s it – could be tools, electrical goods, diamonds or a bike. insured in out buildings, theft away from home, including in or on a car, and a number of other less important things

ginkster

Barclays do bike only. Specify the most expensive up to £5k and all bikes are covered up to that. Covers outbuildings or locked on a car rack but annoyingly not in the back of a car unless in the boot.

mrchrist

Great thanks all. That is my evening sorted:)

docrobster
    Free Member

I have an esure policy and recently swapped 2 bikes valued at £2k and £1800 for one I valued at £3100. No change in premium although I can’t recall how much covering all the bikes cost. There’s another valued at £800 on the policy as you have to specify individual bikes over £350 I think it was.
    When I was shopping around for stand-alone cover for my son’s bike at uni (my old 26 hardtail- cost new £2k, second hand value ?£300) I suggested a new for old value of £1500 and all the quotes were around 10% of the value per year. He had free cover for possessions while in halls but bikes weren’t included. Now he’s in a house it’s covered on my contents insurance as long as it doesn’t leave my shed for more than 30 consecutive days.

submarined
    Free Member

Halifax we had last year do. M&S I’ve got this year does. Neither need a gold lock as long as the building is locked.

CheesybeanZ

How about an insurance rated Asgard shed inside the garage 🤔

pothead
    Free Member

A lad I know was quoted over £600 extra to ad a Giant reign advanced to his home and contents insurance a couple of years ago, bike was kept locked to the wall in a detached garage, so he told them to forget it and he’d look at other options. The insurance company rang back later that day and said they were going to cancel his policy if he didn’t pay for the extra cover as his bike was a draw to potential thieves and in their opinion greatly increased the risk of his house being broken into, afaik he didn’t pay and cancelled the policy himself

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Insuring a bike over 3k in an outhouse/garage’ is closed to new replies.