Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Insurance question – legal cover
  • johndoh
    Free Member

If I have legal cover on my home insurance but *not* on a motor policy, would the legal cover from my home insurance cover me in the event of a car accident where I needed legal support?

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

I would expect an exclusion for specific motor claims that don’t relate to the home, have you read the policy exclusions?

johndoh
    Free Member

No – I am at work and sorting out insurance for the car and was wondering if I should take out the ‘extra’ legal cover.

Jakester
    Free Member

As notbob says, there will probably be an exclusion.

If there is an accident and you are at fault, then your ‘standard’ motor policy should cover you.

The ‘extra’ legal cover is there to fund claims brought by you for things such as injury or loss of earnings – essentially uninsured losses. However, as your insurers may look to pursue a subrogated claim to recover their outlay, and they can only do so in your name, then they *have* to include those losses in any claim they pursue, so it seems to me it’s rather an unnecessary expense.

However, as with all these things YMMV so RTFPolicy and decide.

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I found a better (as in with a company with very good reviews) policy with all the cover for an additional £10 so – belt n braces and all that.

Cheers

scud
    Free Member

Not much point in taking out legal cover really. If you are injured in an accident, any personal injury solicitors would take the claim on if you weren’t at fault.

Legal cover restricts you to the insurers panel solicitors and is only really worthwhile if you are seeking to recover uninsured losses from the accident not covered by the motor policy (such as damaged items in the vehicle) or if you are fighting a liability argument really.

Cougar

If you are injured in an accident, any personal injury solicitors would take the claim on if you weren’t at fault.

… at a fee of about 40% of the total claim.

if you are fighting a liability argument really.

I’ve had one of those. The additional legal cover was the best £6 I ever spent.

winston
    Free Member

Some idiot misread a number plate recently and all of a sudden I was up for leaving the scene of an accident and dangerous driving despite never being there in the first place. I had to deal with a criminal and civil procedings. Criminal was easier as Police are more human than claims management companies but it was nice to know any money being forked out for solicitors letters etc would be covered by motor legal cover

brassneck

I’ve just been involved in a head on RTA – silly tourist forgot we drive on the wrong side of the road and also corrected himself the right way. For his native country.

All walked out so not the end of the world, but the question is – do you have RAC cover? They now seem to have added legal protection, where they open the shark tank should the worst (see above) happen and seek to reclaim the costs from the 3rd party insurers – so check you aren’t paying twice in other areas too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Insurance question – legal cover’ is closed to new replies.