Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • insurance for learner drivers- any tips?
  • Christowkid
    Free Member

Hi Guys,
    My eldest daughter is approaching 17 and we’ve had a nudge from a good friend who owns a garage, that an apropriate ‘ little runner’ will be coming up soon. Consequently we’ve been rushed into having to work out insurance for when the car materialises.
    I googled ‘ learner driver insurance ‘ last night and got completely confused, and you can no longer phone up your insurance broker any longer for a quick bit of advice!
    Anyone any tips as to an appropriate company, and/or how to go about it?
    thanks in advance for your thoughts
    cheers
    Q

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Phone up AN insurance broker.

highclimber
    Free Member

its probably cheaper to pay for professional lessons than get her put on your insurance. that said, driving lessons aren’t cheap these days either!

TrekEX8
    Free Member

We found that the cost of insurance whilst learning wasn’t too bad – the issue comes once they’ve passed their test, when the premiums climb significantly!
    Make sure that you get a quote for the suggested car before you buy it, for before and after passing the test. The cheapest cars are not necessarily the cheapest to insure.
    I found it much better, and cheaper, ringing companies rather than using t’interweb, used LV, not as scary as we were expecting.

Christowkid
    Free Member

We’ll get her to start with lessons, that’s a cert, but we also want her, once she’s got a bit of confidence, to start driving around a bit with one of us to build up confidence etc..
    Trek – interesting comment that it hits *after* passing their tests!
    Hmmm….lv, i think her friend’s with them. Will take a look!
    ta
    Q

andycs

Try Diamond Insurance, £1800 to put 17 yr old provisional driver on our policy for 04 plate 1.6 Zafira. There is another £200 to pay when she passes her test, but this was the cheapest we found. Did think of buying her a car, but the cost of car, insurance, tax and running costs was far more than the cost of adding to our policy.

Christowkid
    Free Member

ok Andy, another one to try…..
    ta

totalshell

norwich union was only £105 for an old red mini 1000.. it was 1980 though.. over two weeks wages..

Christowkid
    Free Member

please don’t…..I remember what I used to pay……
    It seems to have gone totally stupid nowadays.
    ho hum
    Q

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Daughter was 17 in April, £680 fully comp Pug 107, with elephant.co.uk, 10 month policy, to speed up no claims ,She is the main driver and for some reason she had to be the car owner was nearer £900 until I put wife and myself on it. will go up when she passes and notifies them.Was going to do it all under the wifes name but apparently they base it all on the youngest driver any way.

Christowkid
    Free Member

ok. will take a look
    thanks smiththemainman
    Interesting they want her to be the owner. Not a problem for us…..
    ta
    Q

andyl
    Free Member

The missus is learning. She is in my old 1.6 pug 306 – not a small engine for a learner.

Insurance is £240 with me on the policy as a named driver (halves it).

For me to insure the same car with 9 years no claims and 14 years of driving and no convictions is £250.

Something isn’t right there!

It is with Admiral btw – worth trying them.

Christowkid
    Free Member

I’ve just rung up Elephant, as it gives an option of talking to someone. A bit old fashioned, but hey!
    I’ve learnt that Admiral, Elephant, Diamond and Dell Direct are all the same company!
    Also, as mentionend above, the policy will go up when she passes her test. I presume cos there’ll be no old fogeys like mum and dad to shout ‘stop!’
    The chap said it was really mostly based on the youngest driver,as the main driver/risk.
    Elephant will cover a W reg Nisson Micra fully comp for £814, or about £50 less for 3rd PT&T.
    At least that’s one rough quote to give us something to go on.
    Q

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

My 17yo lad is learning at the moment.
    Cheapest way that I found was to take out a short term LEARNER policy that allows him to use my (already separately insured for me) car.
    Cost about £220 for 12 weeks on a 130bhp Mondeo.

NB it lapses immediately he passes the test, or can be extended if 12 weeks ain’t enough.
    We used Collingwood
    If you do use them, first Google for a referal code from a driving school as this brrings the premium down.

Hope that helps.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘insurance for learner drivers- any tips?’ is closed to new replies.