Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Insurance for home care worker query – Elderly MIL content
  • kormoran
    Free Member

I know a few people on here are in a similar position of caring for elderly relatives and neighbours so maybe this will help others too.

Basically, the MIL is in the process of having a private care worker come in to help with general domestic stuff, having a shower, GP visits etc. She has found a local agency that she likes and is setting up a contract with them.

All is fine as far as I can see but she has got herself in a panic over one of the sections in the contract which says she is responsible for ‘putting in place suitable building and contents insurance to cover accidental damage to your home or contents’

I interpret that as a need to inform her insurer that she has a paid for care worker operating in her house so if, for example, the care worker dropped a cup of tea over the MIL’s laptop, it would be covered by insurance. Is that correct?
    Has anyone been in this situation, and was there a significant cost to amend the insurance?

thanks all.

stumpyjon

Would have thought that was the case and a way of saying they won’t cover damage like that. Wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of older people don’t have insurance either.

Rich_s

Accidental Damage caused by visitors would normally be covered under a home insurance policy (assuming your MIL has bought the accidental damage upgrade).
    I’d be tempted to ring the insurer and tell them about the helper and check this, just so you have the comfort of an answer and it’s been recorded.
    There’s no need to panic over that contract term. It’s completely unenforceable and uncheckable anyway and, as said above, usually included in the price.

FWIW most policies also include employers’ liability which would cover MIL’s liability if the helper was considered to be an employee of hers and got injured.
    If helper is not an employee of hers (as seems to be the case here) then the company will be covering it, and MIL’s policy should have public liability cover in case there’s any comeback on her.

dc1988

I assume it’s just the home care agency saying they won’t take responsibility to cover their own back, I can’t imagine they are going to check whether your MIL is covered or not.

thecaptain
    Free Member

There’s no need to tell the MiL’s insurance company anything.

Unfortunately you can’t stop the elderly from getting themselves in a tizzy over random irrelevant things like this. Best to just not show them any paperwork if you can avoid it.

kormoran
    Free Member

Unfortunately you can’t stop the elderly from getting themselves in a tizzy over random irrelevant things like this. Best to just not show them any paperwork if you can avoid it.

The voice of experience, right there

stumpyjon

There’s no need to tell the MiL’s insurance company anything

Great way to void the insurance, if you want to avoid issues in the event of a claim you need to tell them, would also be the same if you took in a lodger or had a long time guest, probably even a cleaner.

irc

In the big picture of caring for elderly relatives (having lost both parents) accidental damage cover is just a bit of random noise. I wouldn’t worry about it.

For what it’s worth I have never had accidental damage cover on any contents insurance policy. To avoid the hassle of claiming and then having a claim to declare at renewals for the next 5 years I’d rather just self insure accidental damage.

fossy

On another point, she may be entitled to social services care workers to help, especially dressing/washing. It will save her a fortune. You need to look into this. We managed to keep MIL in her house for 14 of the 17 years she was badly disabled (stroke) until last 3 years when it was Nursing home (zero mobility). FIL dies 8 years ago, so the ‘five’ whilst alone were a challenge but we had carers in 4 times a day, plus us.

She’s ‘fortunately’ at rest now, passed a month ago.

kormoran
    Free Member

thanks all, basically everyone* is thinking similar thoughts to me

cheers

tjagain

If you have the money private carers provide a much better service than the contracted out social services. Its not right but it is the reality

Social services care is almost non existant in many parts of the coutry with8 to 12 weeks wait not uncommon

Greybeard
    Free Member

If you have the money private carers provide a much better service than the contracted out social services.

Worth noting that if you’re paying for private care you may be entitled to Attendance Allowance.

Edit to add: You may be entitled to it in other circumstances too, but I think you’re not entitled if you’re being helped by social services (or in a care home).

tjagain

Good call

gordimhor

The key thing with all care is the relationship between the carer(s) and the client. I would advise you to act early and try to get a care provider who can adapt increasing needs. In my experience both private care and social services care are stretched past breaking point at the moment. I have elderly parents who require care and am myself a care worker.

kormoran
    Free Member

Thanks all, I was not aware of attendance allowance – will follow that up for her

In my experience both private care and social services care are stretched past breaking point at the moment

This is very much my experience so far – she has been lucky to find an agency with a bit of capacity. Prior to that it was looking very bleak

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.