Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Insurance for DH in Whistler
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve used Snowcard the last several years, but I was wondering if there is anyone else I should check out. Any experiences/recommendations?

jimthelad
    Free Member

I used Dogtag. With their ‘extreme’ level. £210 for 8 weeks IRC. Alot less if its for less than a month though I think. Everything seemed a very reasonable level and that they weren’t going to con you if you need to claim. Also you get a set of dogtags with their contacts deets and your policy number on should you end up in hospital

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmm I’ve heard dodgy things about claiming through Dogtag so I’ve always avoided them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pmcclure
    Free Member

I’ve been to Whistler three times, and required hospital treatment twice (dislocated shoulder and torn knee ligaments). Both times DogTag have paid out quickly. Just make sure you keep and submit all paperwork.

aye-aye
    Free Member

I’ve used Snowcard for last 3 Whistler trips (Never claimed) but I’ve recently investigated other options.

If it’s a long trip, over 35 days, Snowcard (or maybe DogTag) makes sense.
    5 weeks or under Virgin was cheaper, you have to add “Extreme Mountain Biking” on a daily basis, about £3.70 a day I think.

Virgin worked out about £210 for 5 week trip Vs £260 with Snowcard.

If you’re looking at other “High Street” Insurers, read all the small print and ask lots of questions.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I’ve used Snowcard & Dogtag plus Columbus Direct in the past for Whistler, (1 trouble free claim with Snowcard). I generally check all 3 each year and get the cheapest with required cover.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s only for 2 weeks.

dashed
    Free Member

My annual dogtag policy was only £186 last year for extreme cover. I think it’s gone up a lot this year, but some of the figures above for 5 week trips etc are eye watering!

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmm maybe Dogtag may be worth a second look afterall.

fadda

Very close friend of mine had a hideous accident in France (involving intensive care in Grenoble, and a prognosis at one point of “we don’t know, we’ve never had anyone with this much liver damage who survived this far, before”. He’s grand now, btw.

His insurance were brilliant throughout, and I now won’t insure with anyone other than sports cover direct, based on his experience.

I’m not connected with them in any way.

mikey74
    Free Member

Wow!! They are even more expensive that Snowcard.

mikey74
    Free Member

Any more opinions on Dogtag?

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Harison Beaumont do activity specific cover.

mikey74
    Free Member

Just looked at them: They do list mountain biking but add “excl. stunts”. I’d be interested to know their definition of “stunt”. It sounds like an easy escape clause for them TBH.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I think they mean free ride kind of stuff. Ive emailed them in the past and they were pretty helpful with a bespoke policy. Might be worth getting a definition of “stunt” off them via email.

mikey74
    Free Member

That’s the problem: There is plenty of freeride-type stuff in Whistler.

I’ve had this with other companies before and the person at the other end of the phone usually doesn’t know their own definitions.

If they can’t be bothered to define the activities clearly then I’m not going to waste my time trying to get it out of them.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Just checked thier site, it’s changed a fair bit. You used to be able to select from a list an add “risk” or take it away from a specific sport.

mikey74
    Free Member

Ahh, fair enough. Thanks for the input but it’s not something I really want to leave open to interpretation.

frogstomp

Just a word of caution – check what the excess is on the policy! For example DogTag Extreme (DH/mechanically assisted MTB) has an excess of £365!

I didn’t realise this (yup, should have read it all – but not exactly clearly publicised even after the fact!) and broke my arm riding in Tenerife – I imagine that a few X-rays and an open cast are not going to exceed the excess. If I had realised I would’ve made the longer trek to the normal hospital..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Insurance for DH in Whistler’ is closed to new replies.