Insurance and other companies, do you tell them when they piss you off?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Insurance and other companies, do you tell them when they piss you off?
  • 5plusn8

My Car insurance renewal came through from The AA it was £308. Money supermarket got me an exact policy match for £138, with a slew of others only a couple of quid more expensive.
    When I call to cancel auto renewal theAA ask for an opportunity to match this. Do you let them?
    My policy now is that why should I give them the opportunity to match it. I have already put my time in to get the best price, and they want me to spend more time to make sure they keep my business? They could have just given me the best price in the first place. So I make sure to tell them this. In the hope that one day .. Ok yeah I am dreaming.

Can anyone remember this apocryphal story? I read this version on a forum somewhere years ago, and I have heard umpteen versions since.

In the 80’s my uncle became well off through the London building boom, incredibly well off. He wanted to buy an Audi, my cousin and I went to the showroom with him, super excited. It was the first new car anyone in our family had ever bought.
    He asked the sales guy how much the red quattro was, and did they do discount for cash.
    Sales guy responded with a total cliche, “If you have to ask you probably can’t afford it”, and turned on his heel to some other more flashy looking customer. Uncle bristled and grabbed his arm as he turned “Do you think I am going to have to prove to you that I can afford it”. He took £40k in cash out of his jacket pocket and showed it to the guy. “This is what I am not going to spend here”.
    He bought a Merc and drove it back to the forecourt a month or so later and showed to the huffy sales guy.

So I want to know do you let business know when they have lost your custom, or do you just go silently into the night? Do you think they give a shit anyway? Do the call centre people report back why you won’t give them the opportunity?

When I call to cancel auto renewal theAA ask for an opportunity to match this. Do you let them?

No. If I find a massive difference I’ll have already bought and paid for the new policy by the time I ring up to cancel the renewal. I doubt it makes much difference – the saps who are prepared to just let it auto-renew more than pay for my lost custom, I’m sure.

Premier Icon winston
    Subscriber

With insurance companies and other big business – no. Its mainly all calculated by algorithms these days i.e they know they will make far more by overcharging the many than by pleasing the odd complainant – not to mention, they are all the same (many owned by a parent company or underwritten by the same re-insurer etc) so where are you really going to go?. Not to mention the sales staff won’t GAF and even if they do, no call centre staffer got listened to ever by a senior in a bog co.

Small business – sometimes if they have really peed me off. I will let them know and see what happens. I have more faith that the feedback will make it to the relevant person and so it is more worth my while.

“You people work on commission, right?…..Big mistake…..big….huge…. I have to go shopping now”

muckytee

I did, got my renewal from admiral for £1666 it was up by £300, I rang them up and asked what it was all about, the lady on the end of the phone said oh yes we can reduce that by £200, I just started laughing, I said to her Is this a joke I’m insuring a diesel Volvo saloon, not exactly a sports car is it, that’s ridiculous, I then asked her if she would pay that much for her car insurance and she went silent for a bit then retorted with ‘well we do encourage people to shop around’ I just carried on laughing and told her to cancel the auto renew.

Shop around I did, I increased my mileage from 8k to 12k and paid £900 with esure, a saving of over £700

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Do you let them?

Depends on how close the policy is for renewal.

Tomorrow? No, next week Yes.

Premier Icon dissonance
    Subscriber

So I want to know do you let business know when they have lost your custom, or do you just go silently into the night?

With regards to insurance renewal then I dont think they will need telling. They will have a good idea of the cost/benefits of the approach with regards to people paying over the odds vs those lost.

wrightyson

Shop around I did, I increased my mileage from 8k to 12k and paid £900 with esure, a saving of over £700

Jeez how old or how many points have you got?

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

No. If I find a massive difference I’ll have already bought and paid for the new policy by the time I ring up to cancel the renewal. I doubt it makes much difference – the saps who are prepared to just let it auto-renew more than pay for my lost custom, I’m sure.

This.

I actually went into EE on Friday as mrs njee20’s phone is up for renewal, I always just chase the cheapest deals and have the “can we try and match it?” conversation when cancelling, so I thought I’d give them a chance. Person in store takes details of the deal we’ve found, “let me see what we can do”, goes out the back for 5 minutes, comes back with handwritten details of their standard contracts, which obviously we already knew about. No attempt whatsoever to actually match the deal. They wanted £50 more for the phone and £45 a month not £28, so it wasn’t exactly close. Mental.

johnners

If I’ve had to go hunting about for quotes my current insurer has to do better than a price match to keep my business. By that time I’ve plugged all my details into another company’s website and I’m ready to go so I’m looking for at least another 10% lower still.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I’m a right grumpy bastard when I have to phone my bank or insurance. I think the automated switchboard shite is designed to make you that way. I called my bank this morning and they definitely knew I was pissed off. When I last changed car insurance companies they asked why I was cancelling and I happily told them it was because they obviously don’t want my business.

I also tell them when they are good (it’s rare), but a good example is my son’s phone supplier (Talkmobile) – they are so easy to phone or do online chat with and their customer service is superb, so I always let them know.

precutduck

I usually take the renewal offer as an insult, so I go off and buy with someone else before phoning to cancel. While cancelling I usually point out that if they had not given a ridiculous offer initially then I would have stayed with them.
    The only reasonable one I’ve had was from M&S, I still found better elsewhere. But when I phoned to cancel, they couldn’t lower it, as they had offered their best already.

For the first time ever, when I came to renew my motorbike insurance a few months ago, I couldn’t beat my renewal quote. I was amazed. Carole Nash is the company. I told them, too.

nealglover

I did, got my renewal from admiral for £1666 it was up by £300, I rang them up and asked what it was all about, the lady on the end of the phone said oh yes we can reduce that by £200, I just started laughing, I said to her Is this a joke I’m insuring a diesel Volvo saloon, not exactly a sports car is it, that’s ridiculous,

To be fair, you paid £1366 last year, which seems fairly ridiculous for a diesel Volvo saloon

I then asked her if she would pay that much for her car insurance and she went silent for a bit then retorted with ‘well we do encourage people to shop around’ I just carried on laughing

Not her fault, no pleasure in giving the staff a hard time for doing their job IMHO. It’s not like she comes up with the prices is it?

Should have gone there last year too, could have saved £466 😂👍

votchy

Post Office insurance for my car came through with the line ‘this is our lowest possible price’ written on it. I found the same level of cover cheaper elsewhere and rang to cancel, they then offered to see what they could do, I then explained that I could not trust a company that lied and the guy on the phone actually apologised and said he would escalate this. Don’t know if he did but I have never gone back to them for insurance since.

FunkyDunc

OP – don’t get wrapped up in your own self importance 😁

You are getting through to a call centre, not the CEO.

As above they will calculate profit on new customer not on the added bonus of screwing existing customers who are daft enough to stay

Best way to cheapen car insurance is to move. We moved from Bradford to Shropshire and premium halved

Premier Icon breadcrumb
    Subscriber

I once had a renewal from Tesco (car insurance), checked online comparison sites and found a cheaper quote. I rang Tesco, “I’ve found a cheaper quote.”
    “Who with?”
    “You.”
    Much apologies and they matched the quote. The following renewal was cheaper than everywhere else and the one after that was the lowest they could do (I rang up as I’d found cheaper). I wonder if they make a note once they realise you check taster than just renew?

Best way to cheapen car insurance is to move. We moved from Bradford to Shropshire and premium halved

Seems like an extreme strategy just to reduce your car insurance premium.

fossy

Just told my bank to take a jump with my car insurance – they put it up over £60 to just over £300. Comparable quotes were £200. Bye I said.

In reverse, we’ve called EE twice recently. First was my wife’s contract is up, phoned EE, went through all the options, phones, very helpful. My wife mentioned Virgin’s 120gb per month deal – EE matched it to 100gb sim only £20pm. Wife then went on line and bought a new phone from Samsung with £300 off list (£150 trade in plus price reduction) – overall saved money.

Son’s sim only contract up, he had 16gb month, EE improved it to 100gb. No extra cost.

We use the data at our static caravan – we’d previously had a mifi box with 15gb for £20 a month. That’s gone now !

sarawak

Same here. Car insurance with LV was quoted at £410. I went on to comparison sites and got a quote for £165, also from LV!!!
    I rang them to see what they would say. He found the comparison quote and matched it for me. I saved all that £££ for the time it took to make one phone call, and didn’t have the hassle of changing companies.

Premier Icon simon_g
    Subscriber

By the time I call up to cancel the auto-renew I’ve already taken out another policy elsewhere. Makes for a shorter conversation.

The insurance industry makes its money from people that can’t be bothered to shop around or move.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Much apologies…

Really? I don’t think I’ve ever heard insurance scumbags apologise for anything!

5plusn8

OP – don’t get wrapped up in your own self importance

I am on here starting threads, its already too late for that.

Judging by other posts above of bigish savings, perhaps insurance has gone down a lot this year?
    I admit I was surprised to get insurance for 138 quid, last year was my best quote at 240. Same car, same drivers, the wife had a no fault accident last year, we are 47 and 48. Mega drop in price, and as I said there were lots of others offering at that level.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Insurance auto-renewal is a borderline scam, with a few exceptions they’re all the same IME. Kicking off with them is pissing into the wind, just vote with your feet.

Last year I found myself in the position of buying car insurance for the first time in something like 15 years, as I’ve moved from a company car scheme to an allowance. I’ve no no-claims due to an “accident” the year before (someone took the side of my car off in the middle of the night, because there’s no third party to claim against the insurers view it as an own-fault accident even though I was in bed at the time) and an SP30 from a few years ago. I always knew I was going to have my pants pulled down, the premium was something like 1700 quid.

This year the auto-renewal came through, I was expecting a sizeable reduction and it’d actually gone *up* by £50. When I stopped laughing I rang Direct Line. Credit where it’s due, the customer service was excellent. The woman I spoke to did a re-quote and knocked £200 off it. I said to cancel the auto-renewal. Five minutes with a meerkat later and I’d got several quotes under a grand.

5plusn8

Kicking off with them is pissing into the wind, just vote with your feet.

In my defence, I did vote with my feet, I just made sure they knew why. I agree that even that paltry gesture is probably pointless.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Adrian Flux operator once told me, when I pointed out that the renewal letter guaranteed that they would beat any competitors quote,
    “We only guarantee to try and beat others quote”
    Even he was embarrassed when I pointed out that was clearly bollocks. I stayed with them that time because they were close enough but when I got a new van a few months later the premium increase was the same as a whole year on one of the comparison site. I changed then!

Premier Icon oikeith
    Subscriber

Had Renewal through for car and it had gone up by £30 for the year to £360ish, called them and asked if they could do better to save me going on a price comparison website, they came back at £300, accepted offer.

Reading this thread made me think if I was getting a good deal, just did a search and by the time I get a like for like quote there was only a couple of pounds in it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.