Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Insulating An Existing Garage Wall
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Hi

I am in the process of turning an existing garage into a habitable room.

The garage currently has a single skin brick/ block external wall, this will be timber lined and insulated on the inside face. My query is, should I fix a breather membrane directly onto the inside face of the existing brick wall before fixing the timber framing, or is this not necessary? An alternative is to apply a liquid waterproof coating to the inside face. Or nothing.

Thanks for any help.

stumpyjon

I put a polythene liner directly against the bricks in my garage. Will need incorporating into the doc though, I added wider doc and taped it over the polytge before screwingvtge batons into the wall.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I would have thought so.
    I would go with: membrane, timber frame, kingspan in the frame (leaving a gap between the kingspan and the wall/membrane) then plasterboard.
    Make sure you foam every gap between the kingspan and the frame before plasterboarding.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andykirk
    Free Member

Thank you very much for the help.

Stumpy – what’s a doc?

scotroutes

nickdavies

I’m gonna watch this too..
    Would assume doc is just DPC autocorrected.

stumpyjon

Andy, dpc, damp proof course, auto correct!. I ground out the mortar on the inside of the wall, slipped in a double width dpc and mortared it in. I then then brought the polythene down and folded the dpc up over the polythene. That way any water that penetrated the brick ran down to the dpc and hopefully back out rather than pooling on the floor.

andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks doc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Insulating An Existing Garage Wall’ is closed to new replies.