Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Insulating a shed.
  • jamiemcf

Afternoon hivemind.

Looking to insulate a shed so I can work and what not in it. Not full time but a fair chunk of the time.

Planning on a breather membrane, insulation a foil vapour layer then ply lined.

My questions are.

1. Should the breather be hard up against the 18mm T&G or have an air gap?

2. If there’s an air gap how can I prevent condensation in the gap? (3.or am I overthinking point 2?)

Thanks

Squirrel

FWIW:
    1. Don’t see the need for an air gap
    2. As long as you have an effective vapour barrier on the warm side of the insulation you shouldn’t get condensation within the structure

sandboy

I built a large timer building as a den/ playroom for my kids 15 years ago. The main structure was made from green oak, clad with feather edge. The vapour membrane sits directly behind the external cladding with 80mm Jablite polystyrene insulation leaving a 10mm gap behind the tongue and groove internal cladding.
    No problems with condensation, and to be honest, it’s not showing it’s age at all.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

I built a metal clad wooden shed . It’s tin -breathble-membrane/ply/structure/glass wool/ply

Ply is a fairly good vapour barrier being impermeable and all that.

jamiemcf

Thanks for the replys. Glad to hear that I’m over thinking it.

I wish it was as palatial sounding as sandboy’s play room.

sandboy

I wish it was as palatial sounding as sandboy’s play room.

Which has evolved into a gaming/cinema room to currently a home gym/dance studio.
    It’s basically a glorified shed but has been so so worth it.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

airgap to the outside behind the siding? this should be ventilated allowing airflow bottom up.
    Ply impermeable? Nope.. its semi-permeable

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New deal added to Members Discounts