Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Instructions for fitting an Alfine hub wheel / EBB for normal threaded BB shell
  • slowboydickie

I have been hunting on Youtube but I have not managed to find anything. Does anyone know a good site for providing instructions cable routing etc? My frame has vertical dropouts but I plan to use a tensioner or possibly a EBB for a normal threaded BB shell, if I can find one that doesn’t cost the earth.

Cheers
    Rich

jes
    Free Member

Link

Range of stuff here.
    But generally just run a full length of outer cable via top/dowm tube and seat/chainstay to the cassette joint arm depending how your frame has its cable run set up.
    Swap the blue and green torque washers to get the best alignment for the cassette arm.
    There are two types of Alfine tentioner depending if you have a HT or FS frame.

scotroutes

Cable routing is the same as a rear mech. If you have the cable running down the seat stays then swap the fitting washers over and that will result in the cable arm pointing up the seat stay. I have a photo somewhere of the arrangement on my fatbike. I will try to remember to look it out later.

thepodge
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter how you run the cable, I’ve run mine down the seatstays & the chainstays

I did find that with an 18 tooth on it the cable was too close to the chain if I swapped the washers around to point it up the seatstay

tinribz
    Free Member

Just been through this my self. Check this out:

http://www.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50lparsys-0012-downloadFile.html/05%29%20Non%20Turn%20Washer%20Chart.pdf

Washers are cheap on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221068369896?var=520101643954&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I’ve a tensioner that I didn’t need for a reasonable price.

Went for a white and silver for an inbred horizontal, cable inline with chain stay, routing up the down tube.

slowboydickie

Thanks fellas. It is for a touring bike for commuting. Anyone tried a EBB e.g. philcentric on a standard threaded BB?

slowboydickie

Tinribz what type of tensioner do you have? I bought one but not sure I bought the right one so I may s.ell it on.

tinribz
    Free Member

I’d no idea there were different types either. Shimano Alfine CT-S500

schmiken

Standard EBBs will only fit an oversized BB shell, if your frame wasn’t designed for one you’ll need something like a Trickstuff Excentricker.

EDIT: Never mind, didn’t realise Phil Wood actually made them now!

scotroutes

I had a Phil Wood Philcentric. It worked OK, though I was never that happy with the fact that it was Loctited in place (in order to preserve alignment). It has since been passed on (via STW) where I am led to believe it is doing a sterling job.

I refitted the Alfine last winter using a S500 tensioner. In fact, I retained the double ring up front, so it actually runs 2×11(truth is, I was too lazy to do anything else).

Here’s the photo of the drive side fitting

P1020458 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

And the S-500 fitted

IMAG0303 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m using a superstar zinger tensioner on mine, does the same thing but for a fraction of the price, I’m also running a much shorter chain than in the pics above

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Instructions for fitting an Alfine hub wheel / EBB for normal threaded BB shell’ is closed to new replies.