Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • instant coffee
  • Toombsy
    Free Member

For years I have been partial to nescafe gold blend but have recently been loving carte noire.
    Two scoops, inch of milk, hot water.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

HAHA, what a simple troll!

mogrim

Never got the hang of the British way of making coffee, a drip of milk – 50/50 milk/coffee is far superior.

donsimon
    Free Member

Those were the days, poor studenthood and only being able to afford common people’s coffee.

If bean hasn’t been shat by at least three Guatemalen Boboon’s, it simply isn’t worth drinking.

Stoner
    Free Member

Only Mellow Birds has the dark, enigmatic aroma I seek for in my Java.

iDave
    Free Member

Instant coffee? Oh, I know, you have a Gaggiapressetti that permanently keeps the water just below boiling point. Nice.

nick1962
    Free Member

Instant coffee – One of the world’s most pointless inventions

meehaja
    Free Member

I drink instant coffee. Put preground beans into caffitierre, add nearly boiling water, push the plunger and pour into a cup. If you must drink Nescafe, at least put baby formula rather than milk in it, keep it real jah?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

instant coffee = eurgh! i’m with mogrim – 50/50 coffee milk = lovely coffee.

druidh
    Free Member

Milk in coffee is a waste of both ingredients.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Milk in coffee is a waste of both ingredients.

so eloquently put. +1

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve been into ‘real’ coffee for a few months (aeropress and hasbean subscription anyhow, can’t be arsed with anything more complicated/expensive) but still don’t mind the odd cup of instant, Alta Rica tastes pretty good IMO but you just don’t get any depth of flavour and it’s crap without milk.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

nick1962 – Member

POSTED 21 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

How so?

Not all of us have f all to do and spend our days polishing our bialettis and grinding our beans

bigbloke
    Free Member

I drink instant and filter coffee. Mostly instant though.

Never ceases to amaze me the snobbery involved with coffee, much akin to the snobbery in the choice of wine .

Its just a beverage. 🙄

terrahawk
    Free Member

Never ceases to amaze me the snobbery involved with coffee, much akin to the snobbery in the choice of wine .

nail on the head

angryratio
    Free Member

Freeze dried food was a revolution in itself… disagree.?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

+1 for Alta Rica, it’s really not bad and certainly comparable to mediocre fresh coffee. It kicks starts my day because I really can’t be arsed with all the faff first thing in the morning…

geoffj

Not all of us have f all to do and spend our days polishing our bialettis and grinding our beans

😯

bruneep

I can make a cup of coffee quicker than my wife makes a cup of tea. Nae faff

Cougar

I drink both. I like proper coffee but don’t like the faff (and am not prepared to lock myself into a cartridge system based on the Gilette pricing model). I barely have time to get dressed of a morning when I’m going to work, so it’s instant coffee or no coffee. Too much blood in my caffeine stream makes for a grumpy Cougar.

At the moment, I’m tending towards Dowe Egberts and Kenko ‘Really Rich’ as weapons of choice. Both are superior to anything Nestlé ever came up with. Quite partial to Alta Rica as well though.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am happy with the concept of instant but since drinking nice real coffee I just don’t like instant any more. If I am in a hurry I’ll have tea instead.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

ha ha and how much did your machine cost bruneep?

pault41
    Free Member

Instant coffee creates skin problem is my link i,ve found ,get very itchy back if drink lots of it but ok if use a caffetiere .

Strange really

iDave
    Free Member

while the kettle boils I pump up a handpresso and then I make coffee. it’s not far off being instant but tastes like coffee rather than a watery hot drink distantly related to coffee.

pault41
    Free Member

Dowe Egberts is good too

bigG
    Free Member

Nescafe blend 37 or Starbucks instant when in a hurry.

Grind my own beans and use caffitiere (?) or stove top espresso maker when I have the time.

G

Stoner
    Free Member

I use Starbucks Via when Im in the London office (The office “coffee” is catering tin of nescafe instant) – I keep a load of sachets in my work bag and they are excellent for an “instant” coffee. They are bloody expensive though, but for 3 or 4 decent cups one day a week, I think it’s worth it.

I think its about £4 for 10 or something.

bruneep

dirtbiker100 – Member

ha ha and how much did your machine cost bruneep?

less than a bike that’s for sure.

I don’t drink(much) or smoke so its my little vice.

atlaz
    Free Member

I make a fresh pot every other day or so. Nothing to do with snobbery, just don’t like instant as much as fresh and the extra 3-4 mins to make a pot fresh isn’t that problematic. As for milk, not sure where I’ve ever been where people use 50-50 milk to coffee outside the milky coffee drinks (latte, cappuccino etc) so it’s not just a British thing. I like just a splash at most.

If you can get some, try some coffee from Monmouth coffee (yes, it’s in “That London”), excellent stuff. Problem is it vanishes in our house as Mrs Atlaz works from home and she drinks it all day.

soobalias
    Free Member

tescos gold something or other, same as douwe egberts instant and half the price

tastes ok, does the trick, change from tea sometimes
    real coffee is nice from time to time but i cant be arsed with the faffing around of the espresso pot, cafetiere or filter.

Philby

I actually prefer the taste of instant to “real” coffee.

fruitbat

Nescafe Instant Espresso. Two heaped tea spoons and a 1/2 cup of water – no milk obviously. Good Taste to Faff ratio.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Whilst “the real thing” might well be more desirable, our modern busy lifestyles often leaves one needing an instant quick-fix solution to satisfy a sudden urge.

For that reason, I also like carry one of these around with me. Just in case I get a sudden irresistible urge to carry out a random act of insurrection…..

rootes1

Don’t think of instant as poor coffee but a delicious drink in its own right…

if you set the boundary of expectation correctly (i.e. don’t think that it is coffee) then it can be very nice..

stir in a couple of heaps into a mug of hot milk… yum

IdleJon

As for milk, not sure where I’ve ever been where people use 50-50 milk to coffee outside the milky coffee drinks (latte, cappuccino etc) so it’s not just a British thing. I like just a splash at most.

The Italian cafes in the Welsh valleys (Cresci’s etc) tended to make it that way as ‘normal’ coffee. 50:50 instant coffee:hot frothy milk.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

This is why I like beer. Because with beer, it really is all about the taste, and not the lifestyle. Although there will always be snobs wherever you look.

Me and Capn’ Flash could sit down together and enjoy beer, and it’s got now to do with the cost, or how many digestive tracts it’s been through, or any of that poncy guff. It’s just beer. And whilst there may be a small difference in the price of a pint/bottle depending on what it is, it’s not like you get stupidly expensive beers like you do with wine.

I’m quite happy being a philistine. It makes life simpler, and I don’t feel the need to have to possess some expensive coffee maker and freshly-ground beans etc, less my peers think me inferior.

I bet most folk prattling on about ‘real coffee’ couldn’t tell the difference between civet cat shat coffee and supermarket instant, in a blind test….

Woody
    Free Member

Oh dear, I must confess to being a coffee peasant. In fact I’ll drink anything with caffeine in it that is hot and wet – which thankfully rules out RedBull’esque concoctions.

My current tipple is Spar’s own brand at £1.45 a jar which I ‘re-brand’ into a jar of Douwe Egberts purely because I like the sealed top. Works for me!

IdleJon

I bet most folk prattling on about ‘real coffee’ couldn’t tell the difference between civet cat shat coffee and supermarket instant, in a blind test….

I’d have thought that any idiot could tell the difference between instant and ground coffee?

Whether a snobby coffee drinker could tell the difference between a coffee from a cheap filter machine compared to an expensive beans to cup thing is what I’d question.

khani
    Free Member

I like real coffee, but not enough to get obsessed, I get mine from aldi, but if it’s instant I’ll have tea, no sugar’ bit of milk,
    The baggy green shorts of British imperialism conquered half the world on tea, can’t go wrong with tea 😀

GregMay
    Free Member

And whilst there may be a small difference in the price of a pint/bottle depending on what it is, it’s not like you get stupidly expensive beers like you do with wine.

Go look at the Brewdog site.

Expensive but amazing beers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘instant coffee’ is closed to new replies.