Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Installing rear cassette
  • mistermoleymole
    Free Member

Hi All,

A while back i had a faulty freehub on my bike and had to wait for it to be fixed under warranty. Whilst waiting a bought a new wheel and free hub from a local bike shop. Just recently its started to make a horrible noise, so im trying to swap the cassette over to the original wheel that was fixed under warranty. However i dont quite have enough room on the freehub for the very last (smallest) cog.

Are free hubs different lengths? Is it likely when it was replaced, they replaced it with the wrong freehub? 9 speed rather than 10?

Cheers all 🙂

Yak

9 and 10 are the same. Seems odd that it doesn’t fit.

mistermoleymole
    Free Member

Very … I’ve even gone back to the old wheel to see i they all go back on ok, and they do :/

What would happen if i drop the first spacer, before the cassette goes on? Is that a big no no?

simondbarnes

Is the wheel that is does all fit on a mavic by any chance? They use a longer freehub body with a spacer behind…

Yak

Aha, usually there isn’t a first spacer unless it’s a Mavic. Try it. If there is spoke clearance then all fine. Just tweek the rear mech pull.

mistermoleymole
    Free Member

ahhh yes the one i bought was a mavic wheel and hub….. removed the spacer and all seems to fit nicely. I will take it for a spin tomorrow to see if its all working.

Just out of interest, a creaking noise, a little like a bottom bracket, when free wheeling. Will that be the bearings in the freehub shot? The guy that sold it to me said it was serviceable freehub, so hoping it can be rectified.

Cheers guys!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Installing rear cassette’ is closed to new replies.