Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Installing CK external bottom bracket?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Just installed a new bb. Have never installed a CK before. Got a little confused with the instructions if I’m honest. 😕

73mm shell, so no spacers inside either cup. Then had to put 4 metal black spacers outside the driveside cup for the chainline to be right.

Is it right that I should have these parts left over?

The two top ones are too narrow to fit around the spindle, so I guess that is fine. The disc spring though?

Cheezpleez

What is that thing bottom left in the pic? Don’t think my CK BB has one of those (or the top two for that matter)

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

That’s called the disc spring according to the instructions. It’s a bit confusing…

nicolaisam
    Free Member

The 2 bits at the top are a GXP adaptor kit for fitting Truvativ/Sram

The washer goes on the drive side axle between the bb and the arms on the axle,not sure if its used if fitting to Shimano cranks.

honourablegeorge

scott_mcavennie2 – Member

73mm shell, so no spacers inside either cup

No spacers at all? 73 would usually have one on the drive side, unless CK are different to others.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

That’s what I expected HG, but it says:

if installing a MTB-style BB and crankset onto a 68mm shell, install one 2.5mm BB cup spacer onto each bearing cup. No spacers are required for all other setup configurations

Just turned the cranks – it doesn’t sound or feel quite right, so I’m going to have a play with the spacers when I get home tonight and see.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

In fact, I should have checked the site to see which bits I need for which crankset:

http://chrisking.com/bottombracket

Doh!Thanks as well nicolaisam

onewheeltoofew
    Free Member

Travis, just hit it with a hammer. You’ll be fine.

MrGFisher
    Free Member

All of the above is part of the SRAM conversion kit supplied with the BB. Usually in a separate little bag. You don’t need any of it if not running SRAM/TRUATIV. I have just fitted XX1 and needed all the above for it to work plus four 0.5 thin black spacers you should also have received.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

OK, thanks – that is really helpful. This means I need to remove the 4 thin black spacers which I think means that I need one of the larger spacers on, otherwise my cranks will rattle around 😕 I think the manual is geared towards SRAM installation, which is confusing. This thread on MTBR suggests I need a spacer on the driveside:

http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/nomad-chris-king-bottom-bracket-792436.html

Oh well, looks like I get to mess up my lovely CK finish with my shimano BB tool. Can anyone remind me which way to turn? 🙁

shortcut

One 2.5mm spacer between frame and BB drive side and nothing else.

Just like a Shimano BB and crank on a frame with a 73mm shell.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Cool. Perfect. Thanks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Installing CK external bottom bracket?’ is closed to new replies.