Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Installing a new rear derailleur and chain?
  • secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Please be gentle … I’ve not done this before!

I’m just in the final stages of building my first bike from the frame up, a totally bespoke flat-bar gravel-ish type. It’s all gone surprisingly well and now I just need to install the chain and rear derailleur (- it’s a 1×11 full XT setup).

I am happy to try this myself and have the LBS on standby in case I mess it all up. To anyone who has done this, could you advise on any useful points and/or good YouTube videos that might help.

Also, I have an HG701 chain but am wondering if there is a better/smoother chain, given I’ll be running 11-46. I’ve heard about the risk of the chain dropping on the bigger cogs.

Many thanks in advance 🙂

agiroko93
    Free Member

Have a read through of this document: https://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/Keyword?name=RD-M8000

This is a step by step guide on installing and setting up the chain an rear derailleur.

agiroko93
    Free Member

dovebiker

If you want a smother chain, I find KMC gold, titanium-nitrided ones to be the best. A QR link makes it easier to fit / remove and clean making it last longer. Chain drop is nothing to do with chain quality, but simply how you set-up the mech stop-screws.

In terms of fitting the chain, pay particular attention to getting the right length – using either the small-small(+mech) or big-big technique.

drob59
    Free Member

In terms of chain drop I suspect you are referring to the chain dropping off the big sprocket on back pedal. Sram chains are reputed to be most leniant on this issue, however I would fit what you already have and see how it goes.

slimboyjim
    Free Member

The park tool website is great for anything mechanical – it’s got a photo instructional guide for pretty much any job on a bike…

That’s what I recommend all my friends. Obviously it promotes all their tools though…

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

slimboyjim
    Free Member

Oh, and well done for doing it all yourself! Many don’t…

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Thank you for the replies! I’ll have a go following Shimano guidance and YouTube tutorials. It’s a bit daunting, as I’ve mostly left derailleur setup/adjustment to the LBS in recent times (and the local one is excellent), but I do have the time and hopefully patience!

secret-squirrel
    Free Member

Yes, the chain drop is something I’ve Read about. On this type of bike I am less likely to need to back pedal, so it may be less of an issue. I’ll see how I get on with the stock chain – the XT stuff seems lovely 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Installing a new rear derailleur and chain?’ is closed to new replies.