Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Inspiring documentaries or movies aimed at children?
  • zeesaffa
    Free Member

Are there any documentaries aimed at children about famous (or not) people who have achieved something great or noteworthy?

My daughter is 10 and she is slowly getting sucked into the world of Youtubers.

A lot of these kids on Youtube just create silly (sometimes creative) videos usually talking about nonsense, putting on make up, playing games and pranks, etc.
    They drive me nuts but it also makes me sad.

It’s like these magazines aimed at kids… it’s all about make up, reality TV stars, girl bands, etc.
    Wish they had articles on people that have achieved something with a bit of hard work! Imagine seeing Rachel Atherton or Jessica Ennis on the cover of SHOUT (I think that the name of the magazine! Haha)

Anyway, any recommendations would be appreciated:-)

boxelder

At 10, limiting access to Youtube is not a bad thing. We tried to use parental controls with son (who, by 13 could hack his way around anything we did), but 13 yr old daughter accepts controls and 10 yr old daughter has limited access. Thank god we never allowed son a PC/gaming in his room. Showing older daughter the number of hours per week/month she spends on TikTok/YTube is usually enough to make her limit her time.
    I know it sounds Draconian, but she’s 10 – our 10 yr old still sort of believes in Santa, so will accept most of what she sees on a screen as normal/truthful/accurate. Just an opinion – feel free to ignore.
    I think Common sense Media has some stuff that may be suitable?

cb200
    Free Member

Books any good? This was one my daughter enjoyed. Lots of inspiration in there for kids and adults!

woffle
    Free Member

this website is ace according to my two girls;

The Kid Should See This – Smart videos for curious minds of all ages

jonahtonto
    Free Member

TED talks have a dedicated children’s channel called TED-ed

andrewreay

CBBC Horrible Histories?

They have some specials on inspirational people.

Worth looking up on iPlayer.

There is one that features people like Rosa Parkes from memory, not sure if the link below is it, but can’t believe it won’t pick up people like MLK:

Horrible Histories – Black History Month Special

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Excellent suggestions on all accounts – thanks very much everyone! 🙂

edhornby

Royal Institution Christmas lectures – this years are on iPlayer and I think you can get the previous on the website

faerie
    Free Member

Have they seen any of the Studio Ghibli films? Spirited Away is about a girl moving from childhood into adulthood,Cats Return is about societies expectations of women and patriarchy and My Neighbour Totoro is totally awesome.
    On Netflix at the moment there’s Full Out which is a based on a true story about a gymnast

grantyboy
    Free Member

Kevin Hart Guide to Black History on Netflix was good. My daughter (11) also loves Soul Surfer which is the true story about Bethany Hamilton

TheDTs
    Free Member

My girls have had a mag called Kookie

Home

They liked it for a bit. Now asked for a news paper for kids which they get at school. Will have to look into that.
    Also interested in what else there is to offer on the web/films etc. Will look at TED-Ed later.

MoreCashThanDash

My kids knowledge of history was amazing thanks to Horrible Histories and their amazing songs. As in, being able to recite all the kings and queens of England, knew more about Rosa Parkes than I did.

My lad in particular also liked survival and mechanical type stuff on telly, Ray Mears, Bear Grylls, some of Ben Fogles stuff, plus Mythbusters, stuff like the early American Chopper before it got too soap opera. He could see people doing stuff and making stuff that was challenging, think it made him understand problem solving and “manual” work in a way his peers at the time didn’t.

StirlingCrispin

The My Life series on cBBC is absolutely brilliant.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b00wsntc/my-life

chakaping
    Free Member

I use the Ted ed videos for grown ups too, the animation ones are really good.

Not a doc or movie, but my daughter gets Aquila magazine and really enjoys it.

arrpee
    Free Member

Spellbound and Mad Hot Ballroom.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Inspiring documentaries or movies aimed at children?’ is closed to new replies.