Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Inspired by rOcKeTdOg – What is your favourite castle?
  • ourmaninthenorth

I have three – note, all pics copyright other people.

Though it's not a real castle, i spent a lot of time playing there as a child when we went to visit family – Castell Coch, Wales:

I spent a beautiful day on the beach last September. Another folly – Dunstanburgh, Northumberland:

Hugely impressive, and somewhere I'd like to visit again. The Red Fort, Agra, India:

mtbfix

Orford Castle was local to me as a kid and I rather like it still

ourmaninthenorth

Oh, yes, I nearly forgot this place, which was but a few miles away from where I grew up – Broughton Castle:

bikemonkey
    Free Member

warton
    Free Member

Bamburgh castle is a bit of a con really. the actual real castle is quite small, although very important to the history of the UK. Lord Armstrong acquired it in the 18th century and added pretty much all of the buildingswe see today. Still a beautiful sight though.
    I love dunstanburgh too, the walk up to it is great, especially on a cold windy winters day!

avdave2

Llanstephan Castle

portlyone

On a more serious note I always quite liked Kilkenny Castle, nice playground.

teagirl
    Free Member

Another vote for Dunstanburgh Castle, Northumberland. Stunning sight on the wild coastline.

RustySpanner

Dunstanburgh:

TheFlyingOx

I'd better say Dundas Castle, seeing as I'm getting married there in a couple of months…

warton
    Free Member

I've also always like the look of raby castle, but never has a good explore of it

wonnyj
    Free Member

Tattershall castle, Nottinghamshire

Fond childhood memories

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Tantallon

Also, used to live near Dunottar

And last, but far from least, Kisimul

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Going slightly off topic

When God decided the world was a big mistake and was going to wipe it out and start again, he instructed Noah to build an Ark. Howebver, he was on especially good terms with McNeil of Barra, the inhabitant of Kisimul castle and asked if he would like a place on the Ark
    "Och no you're fiine" replied McNeil "I have a perfectly good boat of my own"

teagirl
    Free Member

Thanks Rusty! Ahh, wish I was there….

pjt201
    Free Member

Castle Drogo. It may be a modern impersonation, but I like it.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I like that one (points out of window into darkest Conwy)

matthewjb
    Free Member

Not really a castle but I always thought these were impressive:

Solent Sea Forts

Viewing 18 posts - 81 through 98 (of 98 total)

The topic ‘Inspired by rOcKeTdOg – What is your favourite castle?’ is closed to new replies.