Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Inspired by Kipchoge: How old is too old to start running marathons?
  • menothim
    Free Member

Watched the live feed this morning and thought it was amazing. Fair play to the man, even with the slightly contrived conditions – he still covered the distance exceptionally fast.

I am not a runner. I am 46. I have had a shocking year for fitness – work stress, life stress and a minor hip injury have seen me stack on weight (I’m about 10kg over where I should be). I would effectively be starting at the absolute beginning.

I’m tempted to aim for the Loch Ness Marathon next year and give myself a year to get ready – but the question is – am I too old? I know I need to turn my health and exercise around, so I do need a goal, and this seems like a good one (having always wanted to do a marathon).

Any resources you’d recommend? How do I combine running with riding and gym work?

mrsheen
    Free Member

Runners World forum is your friend.
    Site also has training plans.
    If you don’t fancy 20 mile long runs there’s Hanson marathon plans.
    Don’t be afraid to run walk.
    Time on your feet.
    Don’t slog yourself and don’t worry if miss sessions.
    Maybe join local running club.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

fine at 46!

go for half-marathons first, see how that goes.

I think the training for a marathon is just too much for longevity.

Couple of colleagues that have dene several marathons, and one is a big runner from a family with a long running history and whose mum still holds records for certain scottish runs, think that too.

lunge

No age is to old!
    Agree with the above, a half or 2 are good to ease yourself in but I find the structure of training for a marathon is really good and gets your out there when you want to sit on the sofa!
    Loads of people start late, you just have to be a bit careful particularly in the early months of training to not injure yourself.

menothim
    Free Member

This is encouraging – thanks everyone.

I do remember a thread on here ages ago that has stuck with me: There was a comment along the lines that for most blokes in their 40s they don’t know how to move anymore, and they focus too soon on cardio and endurance rather than strength, mobility and good movement patterns.

Does that thread ring any bells for folks? And is the standard recommendation to do as much yoga, pilates, stretching alongside the running as possible?

mrsheen
    Free Member

There’s good running form which I’ve never fully understood as people have different styles of moving. I think strength training a few times per week during marathon training can’t harm. A strong core and arms can only help. I guess you need to gradually build up the levels so your ligaments and connective tissue adapt.

Parkruns are useful too.

stox
    Free Member

Of course you’re not too old. Just get started, build it steadily .. you won’t be marathon ready overnight so don’t try or you’ll end up injured and fed up. think short term right now … getting round a parkrun maybe. Then a 10k race. Then the half.
    You could try the couch to 5k app if you think you’d enjoy that. Parkruns are fantastic for motivation and meeting people so defo aim for those.
    Good luck .. it’ll be horrible at first but give it time and stick with it.
    Core and strength work in the gym is good 👍🏻

scotroutes

I did my first marathon (Fort William) last year at age 59 and a half. I’m only an occasional runner and only built up any distance to help my wife train for it. She had done 10km and a Half Marathon the year before but didn’t have any running buddies for this. I entered the marathon just 3 weeks before running it. I didn’t exactly set a record pace mind, was just happy to get round in 4:36.

Other than cycling and running, I didn’t do any other exercise to prep for it.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

You’re never too old. My two sisters in law are both in the 100 marathon club and I’ve met a lot of people they regularly run with. Many of them didn’t start until similar ages and they are running marathons each week now (which I personally think is some sort of weird addiction).

Just start off with short distances and work up. I did my first one at 38 = after 20 years away from running.

firestarter
    Free Member

I started running may before last (44th birthday) after a hip issue kept me off the bike, I started with c25k a few months earlier but was plagued by injuries due to my hip altering gait but started again in may, after 14 months I ran my first ultra it was only 32 miles so a short ultra but 4.5k ft of climbs so was pretty tough I’m not a fan of road running, on the way to that I also ran/walked the Yorkshire 3 peaks the month before as training, I love running now but I found the biggest help to me at the beginning was pilates (I was told to do that as my hip was knackered) and circuits/bootcamp at the gym. I’m 45 btw, I’m debating Manchester marathon just to say I’ve done a road marathon but I have a hardmoors marathon in Nov and one in may already booked so not decided yet.
    Good luck btw

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

You have to build up to a marathon gradually. If you suddenly increase your mileage you will probably pick up a minor injury/niggle. My calf’s used to play up when I was marathon training. The long compression socks covering your calf’s are a great idea. The advice about building up through park run, 10k,10 miles, half marathon before running the full distance is spot on. I used to do the London marathon every year and it was great for motivating me to keep training over the winter.

Duggan

Haha too old at 46, you must be joking. As others have said your only problem is just that you are starting from a zero level so will need to be really mindful of not doing too much too soon and taking a cautious approach.

I use McMillan Running for my training plans as they calculate the plan according to your current level of fitness as well as your intended goal.

McMillan Running

But as per the comments above I’d just get out and get used to it again.

One other thing- at first running can just be nothing but boring and painful which I imagine is why many people don’t stick at it but after a while when you start to get slightly accomplished at it, it can be really fun and rewarding in a zen sort of way.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Did my first half marathon this year at 46 with no significant running experience in my life before. Started training in the November of 2018 starting with 3km on the treadmill, but suffered with calf pulls so wasn’t until the last week in December that I managed to complete a good 10km on the treadmill. Spend the next few weeks still training on the Treadmill 5km – 10km at a time a few times a week before transitioning to running outdoors. Started off with 4 milers but quickly expanded to 8 miles which I maintained weekly until the half marathon in June getting a couple of ten milers in the month before.

So no, never too old but my advice would be to start off slowly and don’t be too impatient. And invest in a decent pair of proper running shoes.

I quite fancy a marathon myself, but the amount of training you need to do is significantly more so not sure how I’d get the time to do the training. Think if I was going to commit to that amount of routine training I’d prefer to do a half ironman instead.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m nearly 46.

Phew, lucky escape there! 😉

scotroutes

As a (relative) non runner, I found treadmills to be horrid. Seemed that I suffered much more from impact soreness. Maybe its just my gait.

I also hate the first 2-3km or so of every run. It just seems uncomfortable and joyless. Getting past that stage and onto the bit where everything starts working properly, the stride gets longer, the breathing easier, was a revelation. I can certainly understand why many folk give up before they reach that stage, so my main advice would be to try to get past that point.

(I also take ages to get warmed up when cycling. I reckon it’s like an old car – works fine once the oil has reached all parts of the engine.)

Riksbar

This guy managed after starting running at 57.

Splash-man
    Free Member

At 50 i took up running a year ago having not run since a kid and surviving 2 back operations. I weigh in at about 95kg so certainly not a skinny.
    I did a Couch25k in 2 weeks, then started doing Park Runs.
    I joined a local club and did a couple of 10k races before signing up for my first 1/2.
    Completed it last weekend so now looking forward to working up to a full.
    Recommend joining a club as it’s so much easier running in a group.
    I do Pilates once a week, cycle once or twice then 2 or 3 times.
    Actually preferring my trail running to my cycling at the moment so I’m now signed up o become a Run Leader

Tallpaul
    Free Member

A few people at my club who only took up running in their late 40s/early 50s and have completed marathons.

It’s fair to say they take it pretty seriously and do a lot of conditioning, foam rolling and yoga/Pilates to supplement their training.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Check out the running thread on here – it’s great for inspiration. Real mix of abilities and some great stories/tips.

Plus one for getting through the first 20 minutes or so. Takes me at least that until I find I’m moving properly and I’m bad for going too fast (relatively) too soon as well.

mogrim

I’m 47 and did an ironman (ie triathlon with a marathon length run) this summer. And I’ve got a mountain marathon the week after my birthday at the end of this month. So yeah, age-wise you’re fine.

What I’m not so sure about is the wisdom of signing up for a marathon (albeit in October 2020) when you aren’t currently a runner, and have had a hip problem. But you’ve got a decent amount of time, just make sure you take it very easy, follow a proper plan and build up slowly. And pop on over to the other long running thread on STW, lots of great runners there who are happy to share advice etc

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I started running a couple of weeks ago with a vague idea of doing a half IM next year. Straight in at 5km on canal towpaths with no real ill effects (so far) after 4 or 5 runs.
    First parkrun today, slightly hilly, I finished 8th in age group. I’m 42 and the wrong side of 100kg 👍

taxi25
    Free Member

Your definitely not to old to train for and complete a marathon. The only issue might be is if you wanted to complete one in a particular time. In my mid 40’s I had a 1hr27m half marathon time. I tried the training for a sub 3hr marathon but broke down physically. For me by then I was to old for that goal. I never did do a marathon somthing I regret 🙁 I might join you OP and train for one, but it’ll be strictly a jog just to finnish attempt.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Bloody hell. Just read he basically ran 17 second 100m then repeated that anohter 400+ times. Think I’d stuggle to do it once!

Anyway, 50+ and I’ve got the running shoes on again to start training for a half marathon. Only 30 years since I last ran one….

MoreCashThanDash

I’m 50, also 10kg overweight, and just finishing week 6 of the Couch to 5K running plan.

I’m actually enjoying it. It’s not fast or pretty, but I’m at the point where I’m thinking that when I’ve finished these 9 weeks I might start having a go at the local Park Run if I get time on a Saturday. And I can see that if I was coping with that, then 10k would be achievable if I lost the weight.

I’ve no desire to run a marathon, but my age wouldn’t stop me training for it if I wanted to.

lunge

Bullandbladder, you weren’t at Dudley were you? Say hello next time if so, I’m the run director and event director there.

dovebiker

I’m 54 and been running on and off since my teens but I last ran a marathon about 1992 – mainly been a cyclist since. Started building up my running again since the beginning of the year with no real plan in mind – starting my own business, working part time and some niggly injuries played havoc with my training but I still managed to complete a 50k trail run in 4.5hours.
    Get some decent shoes, start gently, use a progressive plan to help build-up and make sure you have plenty of recovery. Keep a keen eye for niggly injuries / aches and pains and avoid pushing through – give yourself time to recovery.

slowoldman

You’re never too old to start anything.

johndoh
    Free Member

As above – definitely not too old. I have never run a full marathon but it’s still on my todo list having run lots of different distances up to half marathons. Just start very slowly so you don’t injure yourself or even simply just stress the muscles you won’t be used to using when riding a bike (and being a cyclist you will have a level of cardio fitness that will make you believe you can run further). When I returned to running as an adult I started with one mile and slowly increased week on week.

menothim
    Free Member

Thanks all – some great advice in there.

Managed 2.5km on the treadmill tonight – took it nice and easy, but it felt good. I’ve started. Will keep it low and slow for a while and see how I get on.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

I started running with a local 5k when I was 45, joined a club, slowly increased the distances I raced – did my first half marathon at 46, and my first (and currently only) marathon at 47. Compared to a lot of marathon runners I didn’t do that much training – perhaps 45 miles per week… But managed a (relatively) conservative 3:13. I’m now as of last Sunday a sub 90 half marathon runner planning for a London GFA next year (3:06), with a sub 3 hopefully in the next year or two.
    I’d always been a rotten runner – but I watch my weight now – I’m 5’11” and 9st 8lb; and do a LOT of Pilates – and especially barre, which is like a ballet influenced Pilates with lots of squats which helps hugely with core strength and flexibility.
    Your goal is absolutely achievable – you’ve got loads of time; just don’t increase distance or pace too much too fast – I’ve been really conservative; and touch wood, I’ve been injury free for a year.
    Good luck though – keep us all posted 🙂

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I ran my first marathon this year and I turn 50 next week. Started running in 2017 , ran my first half marathons last year.
    IVe signed up for another marathon next year.
    Two of my running buddies who regularly run marathons are 60.

MrSparkle

Did my first (ok, only) marathon at 55 shortly after being diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. Did my first Ultra a fortnight later. Age is a number, don’t let it define you. I’m still 26 in my head!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Go for it…

The hardest thing you have to do is get out the front door in the first place.

Please please do it…. open the door and walk down the street, start to jog a little, maybe make it to the end of the road, maybe walk a bit, then run a little more.

Take your time, there’s no rush but try and be consistent 3 or 4 runs(walks) a week, if they are only 30mins no worries, 45mins is better.

Build slowly, very slowly you’ll find enjoyment from getting better, I promise that after 2 weeks/6 runs … you’ll not have to walk so much, you might even make it through a whole run without slowing down and that is progress and will spur you on.

In a years time watch the Kipchoge run again and see how differently you feel about it. I’ll be honest, I was in tears watching it. Because as opposed to an olympic race or a big marathon where he might have “just” wanted to be first, on saturday KIpchoge was like all of us trying to run for a sub-somthing time, be that sub 4 marathon sub 2 hour 1/2. So you knew what is was he was going through. The doubt he may have had 3/4 of the way through and the elation he was probably feeling when he knew he was going to do it a few Km out of the finish and then the (well for me anyway) thankfulness that you have the health, means, time and luck to be messing about trying to run long distances for an arbitrary time…. It is just joyful.

Sorry I’ve digressed

Start slow, walk if you need to … I still walk on occasion now, if I’m not feeling it…. but make your start…. DO IT TONIGHT 🙂

Oh and give your local running club a go… they are a cheap as chips and they’ll be loads of good advice and comradeship on offer.

surfer
    Free Member

The biggest problem you will have is getting to the line fit and healthy. As someone who was competitive for many years I have learned that as a youngster it was difficult enough being in good shape at the right time for major competitions. Doing this when you are older is much more difficult as you will usually be more prone to injury plus they take longer to heal. Entering a 10k on the day or the week before is one thing, if you dont make the start then you have lost a few quid and can enter another one later.
    Putting a lot of training in for an event that isnt happening for several months is a lottery, and an expensive one!

stever
    Free Member

The vet prizes at our club half marathon go up to V80. Last year’s V70 prize was fiercely contested in around 1h44. Give it a go 🙂

Fetchezlavache
    Free Member

Yep go for it. Assuming you do a bit of cycling (being on here…) you’ll hopefully find you’re actually fitter than you credit yourself for. For the record I’m one of the slowest (actually *the* slowest!) of my riding buddies…
    Started running mid last year after a life of hating and therefore not running at all – last time I had run was the charity “run the world” thing in the mid 80’s.
    I Didn’t follow a specific timing plan for a half marathon – just a 10 week “beginners get round” plan, but still managed 1:57 in my first half – in Cardiff which I’m pretty pleased with. I turned 50 earlier this year and now looking at doing a marathon as like you, I’ll probably regret it otherwise. Have set my heart on the Snowdonia marathon as I love cycling up there too, though it looks like a bit of a bugger (I admit the Loch Ness Marathon does look rather fantastic too).
    So long as you’re sensible, follow the 10% rule so you don’t risk injuring yourself, and realise that (apparently) a full marathon isn’t twice as hard as a half, it’s 3 or 4 times as hard, and listen to your body, go for it.
    From decades of hating and avoiding running, I’d now say I enjoy it – never thought I’d say that.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Inspired by Kipchoge: How old is too old to start running marathons?’ is closed to new replies.