Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Inspire me with your posh watches
  • simon_g

I have a Seiko SNZH55 – took off the metal bracelet and put on a black leather strap with white stitching. Works well for almost everything, it’s less chunky/fussily styled than most dive-style watches so OK with a suit and anything less formal than that.

Else if you like the more Submariner style, then Steinhart make some really nice stuff.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

It’s smaller than this in real life…

toby1

I’ve just ordered a custom Elliot Brown Canford, like the custom one in the blog post. It is still a quartz, but for the fact is costs what an auto would to service and looks like the sort of watch I’ve always wanted I am prepared to live with the occasional battery change.

It’s being tested at the moment – but I am very much looking forward to getting to wear it!

CountZero

I could, however be tempted by something like the seiko divers watch above. I don’t mind that type as they haven’t got all the fussy tiny dials and extra knobs…

Exactly! For me, simplicity is key, I just want to see the time clearly displayed with the shortest glance.
    Having said that, I have a chronograph that I bought forty-odd years ago, which I had repaired recently, and which is now my daily work watch, and I don’t have any real problems reading the time on it, but it’s not as cluttered as some watches have become.

You’ll be lucky to find one for your budget these days, though, although they’re still being made with a Citizen movement.
    Apologies for the original double post, not entirely sure why that happened.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Love that Yema

matthewjb
    Free Member

Rusty Shackleford – Member
    I’d look at Stowa too.

So would I but it blows the budget.

Unless it’s like when I start with a budget and then spend about 200% of it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

hmm…yeah the ikarus is cheapest flieger at £480 so 20% over budget, sorry.

okay, Laco fleiger is smaller than the steinhart and affordable. 42 or 36mm, and start from 398 euro for the auto. I’m not sure who makes the movement though…website lists it as a laco21 but I suspect it isn’t an in house movement.

ononeorange

That Christopher Ward is a really nice-looking watch. Very classy.

I love my IWC but a bit over your budget, sadly.

Woody
    Free Member

Have a look at Timefactors, a bit outside the mainstream ‘names’ but very good value for the spec with a few options in your price range.

I’ve bought several from Eddie (the owner/designer/watch aficionado) and they are excellent.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

matthewjb – Member
    Unless it’s like when I start with a budget and then spend about 200% of it.

Yep, that’s how it works!

So would I but it blows the budget.

It’s not that bad really, the Marine automatic that I linked to above can be had without the croc strap for around £480.

Of course, a nice watch really needs a nice strap…might as well get hung for a sheep as a lamb, as they say…it’s what his gran would have wanted.

CountZero

Holyzeus – Member
    Love that Yema

Thanks, I hadn’t worn it for years, had a steel mesh Tissot bracelet on it for a long time, then, because it wasn’t working right, just put it away. I’m glad I found someone who could fix it for a reasonable amount, £140, and the addition of a nice leather strap with deployment clasp, means that it’s in everyday use, and I don’t think it looks dated.
    I found scans of a catalogue by the company I bought it from, Chronosport in Bath; they supplied timing equipment to motor racing teams and aerobatic teams. Here’s a couple of pages:

[/url] image by CountZero1, on Flickr[/img]

CountZero

This is the same movement, only the Yema doesn’t have the fancy engraved plate:

seadog101

And have duly bought this one today

[url=https://flic.kr/p/njP6un] [/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nmzuZT] [/url]

A Tissot Couturier, minuscule amount over budget, but very very nice me thinks…

superfli
    Free Member

Lovely purchase OP 🙂

CountZero

Nice watch, unusual styling. I like the case back window to show the movement, too. Enjoy! 😀

matthewjb
    Free Member

That is nice.

Day/date automatic. Stylish looking but not flash. Good choice.

Kryton57

This with a suit:

And this at all other times (thanks to CFH for the recommendation):

seadog101

Nice watch, unusual styling

Yes, I was taken by the day/date windows! It’s nicely understated, and very comfortable.

LeeW

Just bought this off Fleabay, looking forward to getting it on Monday!

1970’s Omega

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Nice watch OP. Very stylish. When my grandmother passed away, I also bought a watch and wear it everyday, which does remind me of her. I got an Oris Artelier Skeleton, which I just love.

CountZero

For an extra-special strap to go with the special watch, these people might be worth checking out:
    http://www.abpparis.com/shop/

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Inspire me with your posh watches’ is closed to new replies.