Inspire me to ride again

Home Forum Chat Forum Inspire me to ride again

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Inspire me to ride again
  • bwfc4eva868

I’m currently on a bit of a patch of not riding.
    My last ride was August the 6th in the uk and then I did 40 miles riding in the glorious sunshine in Rhodes September 2016. And had big ambitions of riding more when I got back from Rhodes.
    Got my bike booked in for a service, new tyres and some tarty SLX brakes fitted.

Then before I got to my day off I broke my 4th and 5th metatarsal and spent 8 weeks in a moonboot (fracture boot)

So to console myself I bought a gaming pc and ps4 pro and have been gaming, eating crap, and drinking booze. Now don’t get me wrong I enjoy gaming but my only exercise has been walking the dog and new puppy twice a day.

At the moment the cold and supervising pup while missus sleeps (she works nights I’m on day shifts at the moment) I’m just not getting chance to get out.

Set a plan of gaming till March then get out on the mountain bike from March onwards.

llama

Go and get all your kit ready now. Now. All of it to the point you are ready to go out the door.

Set alarm early, get out of bed, straight out the door

flaps

I’ve always found saying you’ll start something next month never really means it.
    Start on short local rides, can’t you find even half an hour a couple of times a week? If not then what will change in March?
    I slacked over the winter but decided I’d use my lights and get out regardless. Trying for 2/3 local rides a week and I’ve clocked up 235 miles this year so far. Getting a mate out has helped too.

flaps

To echo llama, I’ve a busy tiring job with two kids too but I do just that. This morning (Sat) the alarm went off at 6.15, I got sorted and went. Felt far better for it too!

redthunder

We need a like button.
    πŸ™‚

myti

Getting out the door is the hardest bit for me particularly this time of year. I recently also got a new xbox so this appeals more than cold and mud at the mo. I’ve been using a 0 to 5k run training app to get me out and raising my heart rate 3 x a week. I feel great afterwards and there is no faff with kit and I’ve kept feeling fit and motivated so now the end of winter is in sight I feel it won’t be so hard to get out on the bike. My last ride was just before Nye I think. The other thing I tell myself to get out is that if I feel crap or don’t enjoy it I’ll just stop and come home but that never happens. So just force yourself to go and remember that you will feel so much better for it. If I don’t get some kind of hard exercise even just 30 mins every few days I feel like a zombie, groggy and low.

andy3809

As stated above, get all your kit ready and waiting then you can be out the door as soon as the thought enters your head.

And put the games console on eBay.

codybrennan

I feel ya πŸ™‚

I’ve not been out on the MTB much recently, despite a nice new carbon 29er MTB being purchased. Lots of road and CX, but nothing gnar.

A couple of my pals said: c’mon! ya middle aged fanny. Lets take a couple of hours out from our busy middle aged dad routines and feel young again!

Trail centre? Mleh. Something natural? Hmm, yeah…what about Tinto Hill….YES!!!! Its 30 mins away.

Off we went and it. waS. AWESOME!!!!

Its not really tiredness you feel, its ennui. Trust me!!

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

All those bloody photos of scenery and that and we didn’t even get to see your new bike! Tsk.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Never been up Tinto on the bike, how is it ?

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Struggling myself. Long working hours, busy life etc.
    But Tuesday I’d just had enough. Headed out in pouring rain. Glad I did. Didn’t go far, sort of local cheeky route, but it got me out.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Rg1ZQh]Puffin in the Tunnel[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

wrightyson

Dorphins innit….

codybrennan

davosaurusrex – Member
    All those bloody photos of scenery and that and we didn’t even get to see your new bike! Tsk.

Ah, sorry: bad kitchen photo inbound.

Iain- its much fun. Possibly a better climb in the summer, when its a bit drier and not so much of a slog. Descent is always tons of fun. I’ve climbed it from the other side once, but it was really just a case of carrying the bike up a hill.

You’d love it πŸ™‚

codybrennan

takisawa2- where’s that?

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

It’s in Lichfield, by the Biwling Green. Camera makes it look longer than it is.

joshvegas

You need someone to ride with.

Nothing works better than somebody waiting for you somewhere

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

I’ve not ridden since Sept 2015, work a nightmare, kids duties increasing, insert lots of other reasons here. By Christmas 2016 I felt a mess and not very proud of myself. My resolution was to get control of my life back which meant losing weight and getting fit again. I track my weight and ride stats, that helps motivate me. It’seems also about just doing, in my case it wasn’t so much about riding again (managed 4 road rides so far this year, but getting out. The first was a Friday afternoon, early finish and it was sunny, it was a real mental effort to get out that afternoon but I couldn’t justify wasting that opportunity). Also decided to get the full suspension bike fully serviced, so I just stripped it, took an hour, it’s taken 3 weeks to put it back together but everything is greased, all bearings replaced, forks serviced, just need to recable it this morning and then ride it this afternoon. Again starting it took a mental effort, as the others have said plan to ride and get everything ready upfront, minimise the excuse potential.

You need to mentally move from someone who doesn’t ride to someone who does.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Nice pics codyb – and you’re kitchen’s not that bad.

OP – Don’t wait until March, pick the next dry, sunny day and go for it.

jerrys

I’m currently trying to break in a Brooks B17 saddle. That’s sapping the enthusiasm a bit!

brocks

I haven’t ridden for over 2 years due to back problems, much better now but just can’t get motivated. Nearest thing to biking is changing hub bearings and pumped tyres up. Now it’s just sat there waiting. Today’s excuse is reasonable, I’m brewing beer, kitchen smells ace. Can’t even see what it’s like out all steamed up. πŸ™„

Premier Icon northernerindevon
    Subscriber

I always have to tell myself that getting out of the door is the hardest thing. Also worth remembering that bad weather always looks worse out of the window.

huggis

As northerdevon says..how many times have you gone out for a cycle and regretted it πŸ™‚

Mugboo

After falling out with winter riding last year (I ran instead), I bought a fat bike this winter and I’ve never ridden so much, it’s ace.

The only time I struggle for motivation is after riding somewhere special like the Lakes or BPW.
    I’m based in Brighouse so there’s plenty of riding on the doorstep and loads within an hour’s drive.

We also have 3 local and very active riding groups that all use Facebook, get involved, there’s always somebody riding somewhere.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Inspire me to ride again’ is closed to new replies.