Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Inspire me – Scotland bikepacking options for this weekend
  • unknown
    Free Member

I’m being indecisive and I’m bored on a Friday so STW – please plan my bank holiday weekend for me!

I’ve got a pass for a 2 or 2.5 day trip within Scotland (1 or 2 nights) and was thinking I could either head down to the south-west stanes and stay in a campsite or go on an adventure – bikepacking with a bit of wild camping. Any suggesstions for a moderately challenging 2 day offroad route with a decent bit of wilderness/wild camping thrown in? Anywhere in Scotland is doable but the closer to the central belt the more riding time I’ll have.

doh
    Free Member

Cairngorm loop doable in 2.5 days but weather maybe a factor,
    WHW from crainlarich to FW stopping at kings house or kinlochleven easy done 1.5 days

scotroutes

Milngavie to Pitlochry following West Highland Way/Rob Roy Way?

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2013/04/making-connections.html

All fairly easy cycling and lots of places to stop to chill out en route.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scottyjohn
    Free Member

+1 for Doh’s suggestion, used to do that back when I had spare time! lol

munrobiker
    Free Member

We are doing Braemar to Aviemore then back then round Lochanagar this week.

Touring, though, not “bikepacking”. As above, cairngorm loop sounds like it will fit what you want but scotroutes is my source of wisdom on all things multi-day in Scotland now.

scotroutes

😆

Fresh snow over the plateau this morning, but not enough to be a worry for you!

munrobiker
    Free Member

:plam:

That was forecast, though.

swavis

*sticks finger out window*

aye, it’s chilly and wet out there! 😉

13thfloormonk

First route I could think of, good access from central belt via trains:

Ft William – Spean Bridge via the old puggy line

Spean Bridge – Lairig Leacach via the landrover track to the L.L Bothy then quad track climb/singletrack descent to Meanach Bothy

Meanach Bothy – Kinlochleven via a ford of the Abhain Rath then splashy pedal along lochside landy track, take your choice of technical descents into Kinlochleven

Kinlochleven – Fort William via the West Highland Way

If that’s not long enough, detour from Meanach bothy down to Loch Treig (riverside singletrack, tricky) and climb back up via Loch Chiarain then descend (in)famous descent to Kinlochleven.

Lots of great singletrack and wilderness up there, but with a nice stop in Kinlochleven to reduced the amount of food you need to carry.

Edit: I’ve just realized this is almost exactly the reverse of the Tour de Ben Nevis Route, zero points for originality then… 😳

13thfloormonk

How about…

Crianlarich to Tyndrum on West Highland Way

Tyndrum to Auch Glen on West Highland Way

Auch Glen to Bridge of Balgie via Loch Lyon Side then Glen Lyon tarmac

Bridge of Balgie to Bridge of Gaur via Lairig Ghallabhaich

Bridge of Gaur to Ben Alder Cottage via forest road from Bridge of Gaur

Ben Alder Cottage to Loch Pattack via Bealach Dubh singletrack.

Loch Pattack to Dalwhinnie via Lochside forest road.

Train back from Dalwhinnie.

This one is very landrover track heavy, at least you’ll be guaranteed pretty good going for the whole way. If you wanted to make it a bit wilder you could take the old ‘Road to the Isles’ from Bridge of Gaur to the Loch Ossian youth hostel, then either ride landrover tracks/roads to Spean Bridge, or descend to Loch Treig and take the route over the Lairig Leacach, or to Kinlochleven again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Inspire me – Scotland bikepacking options for this weekend’ is closed to new replies.