Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Inspire me! Rigid fork for a picky b*gger
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

Following my deeply unsuccessful search for a SS frame I am still trying to go down the rigid SS route with my current frame with a chain tensioner *shudders* 😀

I am finding sourcing a fork just as problematic and is mostly comes down to cost offset against trusting 600g all carbon forks.

Can anyone suggest some rigid forks to fit a my Trek Procaliber:
    Boost spacing
    480-490mm AC height
    Look reasonable
    Lightish
    Not mega money
    Not fussed on bolts/ cage mounts
    Super reliable and easy to live with
    UK availability

Much like my SS frame search I am doing well at finding faults and not doing well with finding something to go for!

RideFarr – Really cheap, looks great IMO, steel gives me that bit of trust but nearly 1.6kg!!!
    eXotic Straight blade – No Boost versions and I found the feel of them nowhere near as nice as the Monocoque ones
    Surly Krampus – Nothing that bad aside form all the mounts, should be durable and about the weight you expect for a steel fork but I don’t feel that inspired either
    Assorted steel forks like Pipedream – A bit like the Surly above
    eXotic monocoque – I had the Kinesis IV before which I really liked but I am struggling with a durability hang up
    Selcof – On One were selling the fork from the Whippet. Decent enough option but hard to find now. Do you trust an On-One “seconds” fork?
    Brother Cycles carbon – No Boost option and paying a premium for generic Chinese carbon?
    Trek 1120 – Ticks all the boxes but a really tall AC height of 510mm which is longer than my unsagged sus fork.
    Travers XC Prong – Tick all the boxes but a DT Swiss RWS style axle which really hated before and the unique thread dimensions mean it can’t be swapped for a bolt thru. Comically large too
    MRP Rock Solid – Big money and I can’t see them being anything the eXotic weren’t
    Niner Boost RDO – Disappeared off the face of the earth and I can’t get report of older ones snapping out of me head
    Whisky – Mega money and very hard to find the Boost version
    ENVE – Mega money and look a bit weird even if I could afford them
    Salsa Firestarter Deluxe – Probably what I would go for with an unlimited budget but so many £££

So I guess what I would like is tales of reassurance for the mid range carbon forks like the Selcof or eXotic or an option around £300 or under that I haven’t thought of 😀 You are very welcome to say I am massively over thinking things too and it wouldn’t come as a shock 😉 😀

Ta all!

scotroutes

Meh. I just bought a generic carbon fork off ebay and it’s been fine.

DanW
    Free Member

Was there not death and destruction and small children screaming?

I am leaning towards the eXotic monocoque as one of the (hopefully) more trusted generic carbon brands

scotroutes

Was there not death and destruction and small children screaming?

Not yet. And what’s more, I’m still alive* 😅

* bit of a hostage to fortune there, eh?

spooky_b329

Kinesis Maxlight Boost? Full carbon. I’ve got a non-Kinesis version which is missing a couple of features, for example the Kinesis one comes with a set screw to hold the through axle nut in place.

twonks

I had the Selcof one as part of the Whippet deal from last year. It was an awesome fork tbh and looked good to boot.

Didn’t really give it much stick beyond woods and fire road rides, but it felt very secure in the few rides I used it for. Sold it on as I went with suspension but half wish I didn’t.

Wouldn’t buy second hand carbon forks myself, although I did of course sell some so know there are decent ones out there.

montgomery
    Free Member

RideFarr – Really cheap, looks great IMO, steel gives me that bit of trust but nearly 1.6kg!!!

More like 1.7kg with the 300mm steerer uncut. I bought a set for a future project. They seem nice. For comparison, the Surly Instigator 26″ 447mm A-C forks I’ve been using for the last 14 years weigh 1.4kg with a 265mm steerer and no axle.

easdoesit
    Free Member

I have Kinesis maxlight. 490mm a to c and 55mm off set. I think it’s great but it has internal brake routing, might not appeal to some.

DanW
    Free Member

Kinesis Maxlight Boost?

They aren’t sold any more as far as I can see. I had the QR version on my previous rigid SS. I was told (second hand information) that some of the Boost forks cracked around the dropouts so had to pull them from sale, but that may be bobbins

Wouldn’t buy second hand carbon forks myself, although I did of course sell some so know there are decent ones out there.

I have the same hang up. I am sure it is all mental with these all carbon forks but a lingering doubt isn’t something you want all the same!

DanW
    Free Member

This Kona any good?

Getting close for sure. It is hard to find nice looking steel forks and they look alright! The 470mm AC height is getting a bit low though as I reckon 490mm would be spot on.

scotroutes

FWIW, the ones I bought were new, from Taiwan.

spooky_b329

They aren’t sold any more as far as I can see.

They are on the Kinesis website. Through axle, £320

DanW
    Free Member

Not in stock though and haven’t been for quite a while

swanny853

Procaliber with rigid forks

Think it’s a kinesis, looks quite nice

rOcKeTdOg

Twangy (in the correct way) steel forks give me a bit more piece of mind.

Screenshot_20210303-133754

mick_r

I thought you’d say that about the Konas 🙂
    Shame you can’t do an external lower headset cup on the Trek to gain 10-12mm because the taper blade design looks really nice and Kona have a decent rigid fork history.

There is a Soma fork but not boost.
    https://southerndistributors.co.uk/product/mtb-fork-29er-for-sale/

monkeyboyjc

http://carverbikes.com/parts/forks/trail-490/

Pretty hard to find though in the US let alone uk…..
    I imported a Popeye about 18mknthd ago as there were none in the UK.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Simworks Doppo fork, claimed 680g Tange butted steel but $260-300 from Japan.

https://www.sim.works/products/simworks-doppo-mtb-fork?variant=35040572211366

Wookster

Brother do a Carbon MTB fork big clearances will run big discs.

Or A Whisky fork come to mind as I’ve been looking too!

colin9

I run a Exotic Monocoque Boost fork. I think it looks lovely. I’ve been riding it for a year and it’s been fine.

mick_r

I really can’t believe that steel Simworks fork is 680g. No other long, disc brake Tange forks are anywhere near that weight.

kerley
    Free Member

I would stop being picky and just get the Exotic Monocoque Boost fork which looks good.
    You can then spend the time you have now saved worrying about having a frame with a tensioner which would be a much bigger concern for me 🙂

benp1

Quite a few of us on the bearbonesbikepacking forum with Travers Prong forks. Very well regarded

DanW
    Free Member

Carver

They always get recommended on MTBR/ US boards. Look very similar to the eXotic/ Kinesis/ Norton Shores/ etc forks so I am getting led more towards going for the eXotic

I really can’t believe that steel Simworks fork is 680g

No chance that weight is anywhere near right 😀

Twangy (in the correct way) steel forks give me a bit more piece of mind.

I think steel would give my mind reassurance and the ride quality should be nice but I am struggling to find a fork with the right AC height that doesn’t have a ton of mounts and bosses on every surface and is a bit more in the 1.1-1.2kg region.

Brother do a Carbon MTB fork big clearances will run big discs.

Or A Whisky fork come to mind as I’ve been looking too!

Brother is non-Boost and generic Chinese carbon with a surcharge unless I am mistaken. If someone can say they have abused one of these over mega miles that would be all the reassurance I need 😀

Whisky is mega money and very hard to find in Boost. I’m not too keen on having to spend extra money on a new hub/ new front wheel on top of the high fork cost

DanW
    Free Member

Quite a few of us on the bearbonesbikepacking forum with Travers Prong forks. Very well regarded

How do you find the axle? I have nightmares from DT Swiss RWS I had before and just want an easy life (yeah you wouldn’t think that reading all this fluffing around 🙂 )

Do you have any pics on bikes as I’m not sure on the looks of the mahoosive size. Is it a bit better in the flesh?

I run a Exotic Monocoque Boost fork. I think it looks lovely. I’ve been riding it for a year and it’s been fine.

I would stop being picky and just get the Exotic Monocoque Boost fork which looks good.

The Kinesis QR similar fork I had took me across Sweden and various other places so I don’t know why I am fannying around.

Would anyone know if the QR bolt thru axle could be replaced by a normal bolt thru? I would guess the length and threads are something a bit odd but that would be the extra cherry on the cake

You can then spend the time you have now saved worrying about having a frame with a tensioner which would be a much bigger concern for me

Yeah, let’s not go there 😀 The choice seemed to be £650 3kg steel frame (eg Brother/ Sherpa) or £2000 light XC carbon frame (eg LES) as I am set on avoiding an EBB as well. Mega money for what I would ideally like much like these forks. First world problems and all that

Inspire me! Finding a niche SS frame

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve had an Exotic monocoque for over 3 years and walloped it with everything and it’s been fine. I can’t see anything to compete with it as if you want a ‘name’ fork then they are significantly more ££

DanW
    Free Member

^ That is what that lingering doubts in my mind wanted to hear. Sold 🙂

Do you know if it is feasible to replace the QR bolt thru axle with a normal bolt thru?

squirrelking
    Free Member

I really can’t believe that steel Simworks fork is 680g. No other long, disc brake Tange forks are anywhere near that weight.

No chance that weight is anywhere near right 😀

I know, I’ve asked someone who has it repeatedly but they’ve never got back to me. FWIW that’s the weight quoted in various press releases and the circles.jp web store. I fired them an email to confirm either way.

DanW
    Free Member

Orbea Spirit was another fork on my radar just as something interesting and a bit different but I haven’t been able to find one

cakefacesmallblock

The Kona P2 is a remarkably comfortable and capable fork.
    It’s what came as standard on my Unit.
    To be honest I bought the bike on a whim about three years back and it’s ended up being ridden more often than any other mountain bike I own. The only thing I’ve upgraded is the bell.

rootes1

I got a Whisky in boost from the Trailhead in Shrewsbury – price bit steep as like QBP stuff is made by Carbontech.

Just after i bought and had it painted… found Triton were selling Trek 1120 forks which would have suited by build better and saved cash!

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-forks-c6/rigid-forks-c51/trek-1120-adventure-touring-fork-p20815/s62638

But see you found those…

rootes1
    DanW
    Free Member

found Triton were selling Trek 1120 forks which would have suited by build better and saved cash!

They have a massive 510mm AC height if the specs are to be believed. I find it a bit hard to believe in some respects as the 1120 frame has a 70.4 HTA so it must be steep with a “normal” fork on!

Bombtrack options?

Bit tall but I did like the look of them. Where can you buy Bombtrack stuff in the UK?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Orbea Spirit was another fork on my radar just as something interesting and a bit different but I haven’t been able to find one

Direct order isn’t it?

DanW
    Free Member

I saw the Orbea fork on some UK web shops for around £400 but £539 now on the Orbea site 😬

yetidave
    Free Member

Where can you buy Bombtrack stuff in the UK

http://www.lyon.co.uk

but their website doesn’t list any of their items. maybe worth a call?

honourablegeorge
    DanW
    Free Member

QR and not shipping to the UK ☹️

easdoesit
    Free Member

Has anybody broken a mountain bike specific carbon fork? I hear lots of people taking sharp intakes of breath, but is that because older generations of carbon road forks were poor?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Inspire me! Rigid fork for a picky b*gger’ is closed to new replies.