Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Inspire me – garage bike cave / office ideas
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Its been honed over the years and serves as both my home kit (designated place at end of work bench) and away kit too.

No hammer. Not a tool box.

TiRed

I Spent about £900 on renovating our garage. This paid for floor tiles, reasonable shelving, a lot of nice boxes and a workbench. It was money well spent. All from Big Dug, who were very good. Top piece was the eight Wahoo-blue floor tiles on which the turbo sits – I know…

A year and a half later the bench is as untidy as ever, but the rest has held up very well.

kid.a
    Free Member

@j4mesj4mes It’s horrible isn’t it!

First I used Bostik Concrete Sealer 5L, really easy, dilute in a bucket of water, then roller it on (I dare say someone would say PVA would do, but whatever). Could have left it at that, it sealed it excellently.

Once set and dry. I Painted with Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Paint, don’t use that! It is not “diamond hard”. Mine chipped a few times already. But it was the only one available as eveything had sold out due to Covid DIY enthusiasts. Now it’s all done it will be easy for me to paint over it with something else. I’ll probably try the Leyland Heavy Duty Floor Paint

If yours is like mine, single garage with gable roof, I’ve also boarded it out with loft boards. Going a meter out each side from the edge, leaving a clear gap all the way through the middle to get up with a ladder to fetch stuff. Excellent bit of space for boxes of stuff, Christmas decs, body boards etc.

Superficial
    Free Member

Thanks again @Superficial.

No problem. Looks good! In fact I might even heed my own advice and hang some less-frequently used bikes like that so save space…

diz

Kid.a – thanks for the advise re Ronseal diamond floor paint, I will be returning it to B&Q.

What other floor paints have people used and has anyone used an epoxy on the floor?

sharkattack

Now it’s all done it will be easy for me to paint over it with something else. I’ll probably try the Leyland Heavy Duty Floor Paint

That’s what the red stuff is in my pictures. I’ve already scraped it off in some places and I haven’t even started using the garage for anything heavy duty yet. It’s just from moving stuff around. I’d look for something much harder next time.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What i’ve learnt from going from a shed & a bench, literally rammed with bikes & stuff to a separate triple garage is, there is never enough space.

From experience, if you want a gym in there too, put that in the corner away from bikes. As it gets boring covering all that in mud & dust. Bikes are nearest the door as that is generally where we drag all the crap in, so try & contain it to an area.

footflaps

What i’ve learnt from going from a shed & a bench, literally rammed with bikes & stuff to a separate triple garage is, there is never enough space.

I built a bike shed in our workshop so they can be put away and you get the space back above them..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ecY2Tk]Finished doors[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eT3TCW]Storage Rack[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Wd2vhx]Workshop[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Alex

We built a big shed when we moved here. Insulated it and split it down the middle.

Workshop side:

Annual ShedofDreams deep clean

Annual ShedofDreams deep clean

Office side

Back in the shed!

The office side also has my turbo as I ran out of room in the workshop side!

kid.a
    Free Member

Ah that’s a shame @sharkattack it seemed to get better reviews online than the Ronseal

Any recommendations for hard wearing floor paints from anyone else?

sharkattack

Ah that’s a shame @sharkattack it seemed to get better reviews online than the Ronseal

Sorry to break it to you. We moved in near a B&Q last year and we’ve been through tonnes of paint. Not impressed with any of the Leyland stuff.

It’s not the worst, it’s just not as tough as I thought it would be. I’m planning to cover a big part of it with foam tiles anyway.

Saccades
    Free Member

I use event flooring for the floor, tough, replaceable and soft under the feet.

https://curlew.co.uk/cat/203/plastic-flooring

bikerevivesheffield

Watching this with interest. Currently got a cold concrete floor. Planning on creating a raised with floor, what works you insulate it with under the boarding?
    I’m using battons with osm on top for the walls- otter is stone, insulated or have a cavity?

alwillis

Someone mentioned epoxy above which is what I went for in our shed/workshop in ‘smurf blue’ which certainly brightens the place up a bit.

I’ve not managed to damage it yet in 2 years of abuse, and it was easy enough to put on. I think I did a sealing coat and then the coloured coat.

https://www.resincoat.co.uk/en/paints/49-resincoat-hb-epoxy-garage-floor-paint.html

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Inspire me – garage bike cave / office ideas’ is closed to new replies.