Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Inspirational Euro singletrack ideas for late October/November – where?? how??
  • bajsyckel

I’m looking for ideas for a short Euro break in late October/early November (ignoring the big Brexit sized complications this may involve). I’d have a max of 5 days including travel time from UK, and be travelling solo, slumming it as much as possible. It’s a long time since I spent extended time there but have a hankering to revisit some chilled out singletrack descents, crisp autumnal sunny days under high alpine peaks dusted with snow. I’d be happy with either a single base or some point to point riding, assisted with train/postbus or ski lifts ideally, carrying minimal luggage if necessary – not full on expedition epic scale. Not really interested in “park” style stuff for this trip.

Realistically though there are a few holes in this plan: (1) given limited time I would probably have to fly and prefer to avoid that if at all possible (2) either way I would likely be limited to areas accessible from Geneva (or maybe Nice) and have no idea about that side of the Alps this time of year (3) flying would probably force me to hire bike and it’s hardly peak season for that (or conventional resort uplifts) (4) weather could be less than ideal…

So, moon on a stick time – where would/could fit the bill given the above needs? Or what other riding alternatives (mtb/road/alpine/not…) could be realistic? I have the time to take off but nothing obviously doable piquing my interest…

Akers

Basque MTB – Hign Pyrenees or Ainsa Enduro, depending on when you want to go in either October or Novemnber. Bike hire is available too.

Edit scratch that, these are week long trips. 🙁

robridesemtb
    Free Member

Fly to Nice, 2 hour train to Finale. Hire bikes when there. Weather should be good in October.

robridesemtb
    Free Member

There won’t be snow though. But there’s some great riding and amazing views. Pricing is pretty cheap, I’d recommend Finalborgo as a base to stay.

bajsyckel

^ Interesting, robrides, thanks. Not sure why I hadn’t considered Finale but will look into the logistics. Thanks for the recommendations, could be useful either now or another time though.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Finale is great. I remember going there many times before it became popular for mtbing and thinking how great the trails looked. San Remo is also worth a look as well.

JP

bajsyckel

^ RE Finale – I don’t think I could get there after all, even if I wanted to fly the flights to Nice end in October… 🙁

jjprestidge
    Free Member

They’ll be some airlines flying to Nice all through the year – do a search on Skyscanner or similar.

JP

bajsyckel

Yeah, that’s true, but travelling over 100 miles each way at this end of the trip makes things less appealing. Only real options for mainland Europe in even vaguely hilly areas for me locally are Geneva or Malaga (obviously loads of riding but price of flights blows budget rapidly just getting there). If I had to fly then Palma (Majorca) is only other obvious option and would be tempting.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Inspirational Euro singletrack ideas for late October/November – where?? how??’ is closed to new replies.