Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • insomnia……….old man syndrome?
  • ton

get this on a regular basis.
    is it just a sign of becoming a doddering old bastard?

richpips
    Free Member

Can’t sleep either recently.

ton

fancy a game of cards or scrabble rich………;o)

Wally

Antibiotic’s side effects. Dreamt I was eating an Alien which had been cooked up by a friendly girl. Funky stuff this…then thought of STW. Note to self – no big ideas and decisions this week please!

ton

I have been on the sick for a week, so I reckon sat doing nowt through the day means I aint tired at night.

richpips
    Free Member

fancy a game of cards or scrabble rich………;o)

You’d win 🙂

Tired.

richpips
    Free Member

I have been on the sick for a week, so I reckon sat doing nowt through the day means I aint tired at night.

I agree, been off the bike for a week because of an injury. There seems to be an energy excess even though the rest of me says sleep.

Wally

Heathy lot on here..cycling is good for you. I bashed by elbow-swollen right up-v painful.

ton

wally, I had a hernia op…..old rugby injuries catching up, got another week off yet, think I might take up knitting or crocheting.. 😆

Wally

Ton, healing vibes. I have bought stuff of you in the past, but then so has 70% of STW….right I’ve got to catch up what’s happening après dinner. Nighty nite.

mboy
    Free Member

Nail hit firmly on the head there!

Don’t underestimate the power of (regular) exercise…

Read up quite a lot on this years ago (I’ve suffered insomnia a lot in the past) and the theory is the human body clock has something like a 25hr natural cycle. So unless we actually tire ourselves out physically and mentally to some extent every day, then our body clock shifts back… In some people this kind of behaviour is far more naturally prevalent than others (I know people that can fall asleep at 10pm on the dot every day regardless). When I was long term sick with PVF/CFS a couple of years ago, every 2-3 weeks I’d lose a day, I’d gradually become nocturnal over a period of a week or so, then get to the point I was waking up at 6-7pm (to then go to bed at like 10am) so at that pint I’d force myself to stay awake then til 11pm that night to then sleep through til 8am to return (briefly) to normality.

I’ve had a bad week this week actually sleep wise (though I’ve actually just got in from a night out oddly enough, first in months, though I still won’t sleep yet cos of the week I’ve had), where cos I’ve not had the time to exercise when the weather has been good, and then the weather has been bad for most of it (and I’ve not fancied riding in driving rain), coupled with not actually having a proper job at the moment, and my mind is wandering a lot, and my feet get itchy and restless!

Sadly, I’ve got all too used to it… You’ll probably be lucky enough to go back to a regular sleeping pattern as soon as you’re back at work!

beiciwr64
    Free Member

I’m on my first offshore night shift for the next 2 weeks 🙁
    Been up 22 hours now but will hit the sheets at 7 and sleep most of the day 🙂
    Did a lot of work on this sleeping thing many years ago when changing shifts from night to days.Some of the offshore guys use Melatonin
    I’ve taught myself to get to sleep mostly through meditation techniques.
    Sometimes my mind is restless and wants constant thinking.
    I bring the mind to focus on my breathing,mind wanders-bring back to breathing,keep bringing the mind back to breathing-fall asleep 🙂

Then again sometimes the mind won’t budge at all and it’s very difficult to focus on breathing,i know then not to fight with the mind just accept it’s in no sleep mode.Once i accept this i fall asleep. 🙄
    Maybe after reading this you will all fall asleep! 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

No problem nodding off but I can wake at 2am and have varied success at getting off again – prime example is tonight, that’s probably it now, and I have a busy day at work then a night out. Only 45 too!

ton

still up……. 🙁

Mackem

Been lying awake in bed for the last hour and a half. Just got up. I’ll go out on bike once light.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I suffer occasionally, tends to be a pattern of sleep by10, awake by 3, fall asleep again by 4 and wake at 7. I’m ok with it, yes it’s annoying and I’ve tried a few methods but the only thing that works is a cup of tea, 3/4 sips and doze off again a.

In my 30’s I used to be awful, stressful job, loads of sailing and loads of wine, still exercising hard led to waking at 2 and not sleeping again till 6 then back up for work at 7, that period was awful.

Now, we’ll I just relax, regular running, cycling at weekends and or running and I’ve given up stressing.

Feel your angst tho’

jekkyl

All too easy to reach for your phone or tablet if you can’t sleep but that light up screen doesn’t help I reckon. But if you can’t sleep & you’re not at work the next day embrace it and go n’ watch tele or a movie. I’ve just been woken up by a 2yr old little girl telling me quite urgently that she needs a poo Daddy!

DrP

It’s only through discipline to not get the iPad at night that I wasn’t joining you here at 2am….

It’s annoying but infrequent…

DrP

smell_it
    Free Member

I don’t consider myself an insomniac, although I’m just back in after nearly 3 hours on the road bike and I won’t see my bed again till at least midnight and this is pretty much a standard day. I might be able to grab a half hour snooze at some point, and I’m only 34. But I’ve got plenty to be getting on with, so try and see it as a positive thing rather than something to fret about. Plus I’m about to pop to my local spoon for some greasey calories and industrial strength tea, so it’s all good.

yunki
    Free Member

Nothing quite like a new baby for curing the insomnia..
    Put it to Mrs Ton p’raps?

Wally

Can I suggest +ve Porridge, exercise, fresh air, tipple and cuddles.
    -ve chocolate, tea, coffee, screens and late food.
    (you may wish to change the + order, but IMO it works)
    slumber peacefully Mrs Wally..

iainc

Short sleep due to legs buzzing from riding last night…

tmb467
    Free Member

In days gone by – ie before electric – there was always the concept of first sleep and second sleep

Yer average body isn’t meant to rest for 7 consecutive hours. It prefers to do a few hours then wake up for an hour or two then sleep for another 4

Sleeping

ton

yunki, mrs ton was 49 last Monday, if I mentioned another child, she would murder me for sure… 😆

think I dropped off sharing the sofa with the dog at about 6.45, feel ok now surprisingly.

Mackem

Just back from a short local spin. Quite eventful being out that early (early for me anyway) , got told not to use certain trails because the hunters are all out shooting birds, apparently one stray walker had already been hit in the shoulder. Then I ran into a small civil war reenactment (the Spanish one). Typically, found my camera was knackered this morning. Then ended up talking to a local rider who just wanted to talk about the “Follow the dog” trail in Manchester. Odd morning.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Avoid caffeine after 3 pm, check any sports drinks you are using don’t contain any. Start winding down as you approach bedtime, turn the lights down so that your body knows it is night time and time to start producing melatonin.
    Try taking valerian root and drinking camomile tea a couple of hours before going to bed. Stop drinking alcohol, it will help you get to sleep initially but your sleep will be poor quality leaving you feeling tired when you wake up.
    If you still can’t sleep after that then go to see the doctor.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Meditate, used to suffer really badly from insomnia which lead to long term illness, meditation has changed it all and I now sleep like a baby. Only get insomnia now when I’ve had a skinful.

All to do with mental processes kicking in and not enabling you to sleep and meditation calming and teaching you to control the speed of your thoughts

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘insomnia……….old man syndrome?’ is closed to new replies.