Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Inset Day Monday
  • scholarsgate
    Free Member

Anyone have kids with an inset day on Monday?

What do the teachers do on an inset day?

scaredypants

Monday and Tuesday here

The teachers do some sort of formalised training, I believe (I’m not knocking teachers, I just don’t know exactly what they do).

I do like the idea of teachers being well trained

knightrider
    Free Member

training, generally have management telling staff the newest hoops they have to jump through

yoshimi

Knightrider has it……’remember all those new procedures you had to put in place last term, well scrap that we’re doing something else now’…….that’s pretty much how my wife’s inset days usually go

colournoise

Depends from school to school. Ours are usually a mix of ‘state of the (educational) nation’ type stuff, looking at ideas to improve our overall practice, and any subject-specific training that teams might need.

DezB
    Free Member

Sit around laughing at how awkward they’ve made life for the parents. Of course.
    They then watch the Inbetweeners series on DVD.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Depends from school to school. Ours are usually a mix of ‘state of the (educational) nation’ type stuff, looking at ideas to improve our overall practice, and any subject-specific training that teams might need.

This pretty much nails it. If anyone was wondering though, INSET is never fun or a doss and, although I value training, nine times out of ten I would rather be teaching.

dave360

what does “inset” mean

patriotpro
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone knocks teachers being well-trained, but straight after several weeks of scheduled time-off, it makes no wonder it gets parents’ backs up.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

what does “inset” mean

IN SErvice Training Day

anagallis_arvensis

I don’t think anyone knocks teachers being well-trained, but straight after several weeks of scheduled time-off, it makes no wonder it gets parents’ backs up.

good work, well done. Shame you have to look after your kids sometimes isnt it.

hammerite
    Free Member

One of the reasons that schools in the same area have them on different days is so that teachers can visit other schools and observe lessons to see what other teachers are doing.

It’s also one of the reasons why they don’t have inset days in the school holidays.

dave360

Thank you muppet. I suppose just calling it “training day” wouldn’t do at all.

maccruiskeen

I suppose just calling it “training day” wouldn’t do at all.

You could call them Baker days, if you preferred. The were introduced as a specific additional train requirement by Baker and they are different from cpd and teacher training and schools / teachers are compelled to deliver a fixed quota of inset days a year, where as other training is optional. That’s why they have a special name.

stumpyjon

Friday before half term and Monday following half term seem to be favourite with my kids school. Many teachers have no concept of how it can make things difficult for working parents (my wife’s a governor so was there when the decisions were made and heard the teachers comments first hand). Both my parents were teachers, they took the long shcool holidays for granted and never had to worry about covering 13 weeks school holiday with 5 weeks annual leave, it’s only now they see us struggling they are beginning to appreciate the issues. So enough of the

Shame you have to look after your kids sometimes isnt it

comments, it isn’t helpful, in fact it’s insulting.

nealglover
    Free Member

.Many teachers have no concept of how it can make things difficult for working parents

Why is it insulting ?

They are your kids, school isn’t a childminding service, it’s for education.

I don’t have kids because being self employed, there is no way I wouldn’t be able to afford the time off needed to look after them while they are not at school.
    13 weeks holiday wil Zero weeks annual leave. Doesn’t add up.

If you struggle with five weeks (paid) holiday, then maybe you should have done the same sums I did ?

jekkyl

I don’t begrudge teachers their holidays, the payback is that they can’t just take afternoons or whole days off at any other time like we can (to go bike riding for example) but still I think I’d much rather have 6 weeks off.

liquid
    Free Member

Inset days are not taken off the total number days your child should be taught for (190 & teachers are contracted for 195 to include 5 inset days) you should(?) get the monday added into another holiday – if not maybe a chat with the head teacher

hammerite
    Free Member

Stumpyjon – I don’t know of many teachers who turn up at Governors meetings regularly. Heads and deputies yes, teachers rarely. The teachers have no/very little say when the inset days are at their school (at the OHs old school there were over 200 members of staff – it would be impossible to ask everyone).

Don’t forget that most teachers are also parents, the OH can’t take a day off when it’s inset day at Jnr’s school. If her school has an inset day on the same day as Jnr’s the OH still has to be in school. Added to that most teachers now haven’t gone straight from university to teaching and have worked “in the real world”. Most have every bit of understanding of what it’s like for working parents, as they’re in that position themselves.

I have to say, what you’ve said is a load of piffle (to quote a word my Gran likes to use).

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Many teachers have no concept of how it can make things difficult for working parents

Really? So the fact that my wife and I teach in a LEA with different holidays to our children’s school gives us no first hand experience of how arranging childcare can be difficult? Or how an awards evening or parents’ evening cost us £40 child care, or when the teachers of my children’s school could not get to work because of snow, they got a paid day off but I had to take a day off, unpaid, to look after them? Yes, you’re correct, many teachers have no idea. Sigh.

jamj1974

Really? So the fact that my wife and I teach in a LEA with different holidays to our children’s school

My holidays are not sufficient to cover my children’s – at least you will have some crossover. Perhaps for your next job you could work in the same LEA…? Pardon me if don’t feel sorry for you incurring child care costs…

ing childcare can be difficult? Or how an awards evening or parents’ evening cost us £40 child care

Suck it up – it’s part of your job. Once again, don’t ask me to feel sorry for your totally foreseeable incurrence of child care costs. Did parents evenings not occur before you started teaching or did the naughty lecturers hide that fact when you were training…? I think no on both counts.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Really? So the fact that my wife and I teach in a LEA with different holidays to our children’s school

My holidays are not sufficient to cover my children’s – at least you will have some crossover. Perhaps for your next job you could work in the same LEA…? Pardon me if don’t feel sorry for you incurring child care costs…

ing childcare can be difficult? Or how an awards evening or parents’ evening cost us £40 child care

Suck it up – it’s part of your job. Once again, don’t ask me to feel sorry for your totally foreseeable incurrence of child care costs. Did parents evenings not occur before you started teaching or did the naughty lecturers hide that fact when you were training…? I think no on both counts

Wow! You just wasted your time Dr. Obvious.

I have the best job in the world. I love every day of my job.

All of the stuff you wrote, I agree with.

My point was in response to the claim that ‘Many teachers have no concept of how it can make things difficult for working parents’.

anagallis_arvensis

Many teachers have no concept of how it can make things difficult for working parents

are many teachers not working parents then?

comments, it isn’t helpful, in fact it’s insulting.

and so is your whinging anti teacher shite

jamiea
    Free Member

…my wife and I teach in a LEA

Are you sure?

Cheers,
    Jamie

gee
    Free Member

Most of the time I’d rather be teaching than sitting through another 2hr lecture from an over paid educationalist about how to make my lessons interactive. Oh the irony.

The problem these days is schools seem to take the approach of “if one teacher/department is crap then we can’t just tell them to sort it out as it ‘demoralises’ them” so all the staff have to be taught to suck eggs.

GB

phunkmaster
    Free Member

…my wife and I teach in a LEA
    Are you sure?

Cheers,
    Jamie

Yes, certain . . .

jamj1974

Wow! You just wasted your time Dr. Obvious.

Please don’t credit me with a qualification I don’t have! Also there were far worse things to waste my time on!. 😀

I have the best job in the world. I love every day of my job.

Seriously if you feel that way, I am very happy for you. To have that satisfaction is rare and brilliant.

My point was in response to the claim that ‘Many teachers have no concept of how it can make things difficult for working parents’.

. Well plainly that is a bullshit position for other people to take. Your challenges as a working parent are similar to any other working parent.

My previous post was the result of hasty reading! I can’t promise I won’t make the same mistake again – I’ve made it before…! 🙂

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Jamj1974, I genuinely feel that way. Teaching is honestly the best job in the world. I have never not wanted to go to work.

jamj1974

phunkmaster – Member
    Jamj1974, I genuinely feel that way. Teaching is honestly the best job in the world. I have never not wanted to go to work.

I am a firm believer that people who really love their jobs are better at them!

jamiea
    Free Member

Yes, certain . . .

Not a Local Authority???

Cheers,
    Jamie

luke
    Free Member

Our kids have one on the 13th, Mid week and just over a week after they go back to school, not impressed.

jamiea
    Free Member
    matthewjb
    Free Member

My daughter has all of next week of as Inset days.

Which is quite a good way of doing it. The teachers get trained and we get a two week break, one of which would be cheap if we booked a holiday.

konabunny
    Free Member

Quite true, as none of them is a working parent, none of them had a working parent, and none ever comes into contact with working parents.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Inset Day Monday’ is closed to new replies.