Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Inserts- Nukeproof VS Rimpact
  • sharkattack

I split a front tyre open yesterday right at the bead when I rimmed out on a rock so I’m sitting at work looking at inserts. I’ve never used them before.

Cushcore seem very expensive and they’re out of stock at the obvious retailers (I haven’t searched very far because of the price).

I’m mostly considering a pair of Nukeproof ARD’s for a very reasonable £47.99
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-horizon-advanced-rim-defence-ard-pair/rp-prod172999

Or a pair of Rimpacts. Either Pro’s or a mixed set of Pro and Original for £62.99
    http://www.rimpactmtb.com/product-page/rimpact-pro-original-mix-with-valves

They both have mostly positive reviews but has anyone been riding them long term and had any good or bad experiences?

tabletop2
    Free Member

I have th tbe nukeproof ones and they are ok. They stretch after time and then you need to shorten and cable tie back together. I would say that they are exclusively for rim protection whereas the rimpacts offer more of a dampened trail ‘feel’ to them.

Basically they work fine and I’m not going to swap them out but have lots of friends using the rimpacts and they seem a better overall package and I’d pay the extra

militantmandy
    Free Member

I’ve had good success with Rimpact. They do absorb some sealant though. As above, my Ards swole to the point they were no longer tight to rim and then rattled. Don’t think I’d get them again. Cushcore are excellent, but crazy money now.

rsl1
    Free Member

I have nukeproof. Couldn’t find anything cheaper. Has done the job for nearly 2 years now. They have always rattled for me but at the price I don’t mind. I do run unfashionably high pressure though

steveh

what size do you need fella? I’ve got 29 rimpact and only need one.

toofarwest

I’ve just fitted a Vittoria air liner to the rear wheel £39 from CRC

sharkattack

Right I didn’t want to mull it over too long so I’ve ordered a pair of Rimpact Pro’s. Can’t find a bad word about them and there’s a few quid off on the website. They might make my cheesy E13 rims last a little longer too.

Stand by for next thread, ‘HTF do I fit these inserts?’

EDIT:

what size do you need fella? I’ve got 29 rimpact and only need one.

I did not see this in time! Thanks though.

gkeeffe

I have rimpacts.  Easy to fit if you push the bead right under the insert. Push it under and then go round and push it under again! Add a bit of fairy liquid to the bead too

mattkkitch

Re fitting. Watch their video, follow the instructions exactly.

binman

Stand by for next thread, ‘HTF do I fit these inserts?’

Have you factored in a garden bin (I use a muc-tub ?) to help install and remove? Soapy water is your friend 😁.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Right I didn’t want to mull it over too long so I’ve ordered a pair of Rimpact Pro’s

A sound choice I think though I haven’t tried the Pros

Standard Rimpact I liked but I was surprised by how much and how quickly the rear was cut up. Nukeproof ARD were good for protecting the rims but imho didn’t give the same improvement in feel as the Rimpact and mine rattled annoyingly. If I was buying now I’d go Rimpact Pro rear with a standard in the front

bigyan
    Free Member

I find the Nukeproof ones really annoying, they expand and rattle round inside the tyre, you are then supposed to cut and zip tie shorter.

Rimpact are good. They do make tyre changes more difficult.

continuity
    Free Member

I remain unconvinced that the whole ‘you have to run them in both tyres otherwise the bike will explore and your tyre tear off the rim as soon as you even look at a corner’ schtick isn’t just a bit stupid. We get you want us to buy two not one. It makes you more money. Really, we just want to not destroy our rear rims. Everything else is a nice to have to make the weight more palatable. They also increase rolling resistance and tyre suppleness (increasing hysteretic loss).

gkeeffe

I live in the lakes and just use one in the rear. Seems to work well.

sharkattack

Well they’re available individually so I didn’t exactly feel bullied into buying a pair. Also, it’s my front tyre which I’ve just ruined so running just a rear wouldn’t have helped.

I think the weight is over stated. They’re much lighter than most 29er inner tubes.

chiefgrooveguru

I like them front and rear. I’ve got the Pro ones in the back now, normal in the front. Lets me run slightly lighter casings and slightly harder compounds, so the bike rolls faster and tyres last longer, and when I need to find extra grip in the wet I can drop the pressure more. Also allowed me to get years of use out of some rims that dented super easily pre-Rimpacts.

beer247
    Free Member

I ran a pro in the rear and standard in the front in conjunction with the “newer” Maxxis EXO+ casing.

Decided to swap the standard to the rear and not run one in the front as i didn’t think it was really doing much.

I’m at 25psi rear and 20psi front pressure wise at the mo and all seems good.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.