Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Insert users- riding, punctures etc…
  • sharkattack

I had my first ever ride on tyre inserts yesterday. It felt amazing. It’s one of the few things I’ve spent money on which made a tangible, enjoyable difference to the riding experience. The thing is it’s hard to describe why.

The bike just felt so quiet and planted. It gives you all the cornering grip that comes with running low pressures with none of the squirming or burping. It gives you all the straight line speed from not having to worry about rimming out on the rough stuff. It makes my flimsy Exo sidewalls stand hard when they would usually deform under big hits. It just felt mint everywhere.

This was at Hamsterley on a mixture of mulchy off-piste and worn out rocky trail centre stuff. Last time I was there I put a terminal slash in a Minion DHF. This time, not a peep from either end, just big impacts and mega grip.

So yes, Impressive stuff. My pair of Rimpact Pro’s also weigh less than one 29er innertube. If you’re curious, get off the fence and give them a try.

Now…

For people who have been riding them for a while, what happens when you do manage to get a puncture? Do you even bother carrying a tube? They’re such a massive ball ache to fit, I knew that if they failed on the trail I was walking back to the car park. There’s no way I could get a tube in trail side.

Any other downsides which I’m not yet aware of?

militantmandy
    Free Member

I don’t carry a tube any more unless I’m doing an epic. I’ve had 1 puncture in 4 years and that was fixed with a bacon strip. Some inserts can absorb sealant, so worth topping up.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’ve had them in for a few months – original rimpact. 1 puncture (exo, the “black” at Afan). Managed to pinch flat, so cut on tread, and second, smaller cut just above the rim/bead.
    repaired with worms.

Benefits –
    1) despite a hard hit and near instant deflation, there was no metalic clang of rim/wheel damage.
    2) even completely flat, there was no danger of my tyre coming off the rim, so following repair, could pump up with a mini pump, no issues with bead seating.

Generally, no tube carried. Big adventure next week, so will be taking tubes, and a backpack so there is somewhere to put the removed noodle.

sharkattack

Yeah, I never thought of that. Ripping it out and jamming it in the backpack is probably the only way to deal with it when you’re way out in the sticks.

footflaps

Ripping it out and jamming it in the backpack is probably the only way to deal with it when you’re way out in the sticks.

Bring a bin liner to put it in, soaked in latex!

ndthornton
    Free Member

I have been running Tannus Inserts for a while now and really like them.
    Also ditched the tube thinking tyre worms would bail me out…couldn’t think of a scenario where a tube would be required.

Well the unimaginable scenario occurred last week – half way down Heartbreak Ridge my chain inexplicably jumped behind the cassette, bending the mech hanger and causing a spoke to snap and fire through the rim tape. Fortunately one of our crowd had a tube and after about 40 minutes of supreme effort (mostly getting the tyre off) I was back rolling again. Fortunately I was carrying quick link, chain breaker and spare mech hanger. Will carry a tube in future but only for big rides out in the sticks.

breadcrumb

My mate used a couple of big cable ties to secure the rolled up liner to his handlebars, seems a sensible solution. And make sure you have a pair of nitrile gloves handy.

didnthurt

I’ve ridden descents on a flat tyre with rimpact pros fitted. They’re tough buggers.

I think you might actually be marginally more prone to get side wall slash’s with inserts as the side wall is firmer. I’ve written off a tyre and had numerous punctures with the inserts and running tubeless. This is on a hardtail that gets ridden down some rocky/rough trails. I reckon I’d be needing a new rear rim if it wasn’t for the inserts.

steamtb

No comments re using them for a while and problems, but yes, they are brilliant aren’t they?!? I stuck some rimpact pros in about 4 weeks ago and they have been epic; massive improvements in grip and all that horrible tyre squirm has gone. They’ve been ace on local trails including a wet and greasy Eastridge, definitely made me fresher at the end of a ride. They were also brill at Revolution Bike Park, I ran tyre pressures that were perfect on the slippier technical trails yet still resisted squirm on the high speed stuff and jumps. 🙂

I presume worms will repair most stuff and always have for me pre insert, but can you get some repair tape for slashes etc?

chakaping
    Free Member

You can just ride out on Rimpact Pros.

footflaps

You can just ride out on Rimpact Pros.

I thought that wore them out very quickly, the road ones I’ve looked at say 5000km inflated, 30km deflated as life expectancy.

sharkattack

If I had a choice of riding 30km on a flat tyre with a Rimpact and then buying a new one, or pushing my bike the same distance, I’d be pedalling! If they worked in that scenario I’d consider it a job well done and happily replace it.

oikeith

I’m saw somewhere online that some people take roadie tubes with long valve stems and will remove the existing valve and then stab the tube valve all the way through the insert, reseat tyre and inflate the tube before riding on, anyone tried this?

VanHalen

re-seating a tyre with an insert (like rimpact or cushcore) trailside would be nearly impossible. even getting a tyre off to put a tube in would be a massive arse.

im dreading getting a puncture with my insert.

Akers

I’ve be using Rimpact (initially originals but now Pro) for 3 1/2 years. had a few punctures in that time, mostly something sharp right through the middle of the tread. so I doubt anything would have prevented the punctures. All have been fixed trail-side with plugs of various sizes.
    Better grip, more stability and much less roll, plus the ability to get down a trail with a puncture when necessary without damaging the rim. All huge pluses for a small weight penalty (which is offset by not needing to run a DD casing) and a relatively reasonable price.

chakaping
    Free Member

I thought that wore them out very quickly

I’ve only usually done a few KM on them while flat, but they appear to be more durable than the marketing suggests.

The Pro versions have a very supportive dense foam layer protecting the rim & tyre.

ico86

Slashed sidewalls is the undoing of these, or any puncture so big that worms won’t do the job. I’ve been riding inserts for about 2 years (og rimpacts) and love them, however the puncture gods decided that my time was up the other day and zapped me with a big old sidewall slash. Amusingly they strung me along and it *almost* sealed with 3x worms, but not quite. I just rode it out in the end which was alright if a little squirmy in the corners, and the insert doesnt look any worse for wear.
    Somewhere there’s a video from cushcore which shows you how to fit a tube with an insert there. I’ve not watched it but probably ought to. I prescribe to the binbag and tube method for big rides.

honourablegeorge

didnthurt

I think you might actually be marginally more prone to get side wall slash’s with inserts as the side wall is firmer.

Yeah, I think you’re right on that

euain

re-seating a tyre with an insert (like rimpact or cushcore) trailside would be nearly impossible. even getting a tyre off to put a tube in would be a massive arse.

Not sure I understand this? How is it any different to without an insert? Maybe easier as the insert keeps the tyre in a decent shape before any air added.

What I dread is a puncture so bad that I need a tube and then having to ride home with a manky insert over my shoulder.

fathomer

I’ve had RimPacts for couple of years. Had a few pinch flats and two terminal punctures where I had to take the insert out and carry it back. I wiped it clean ish in the grass and wore it like a sash, I looked awesome 🙂

First was a 35-40mm slash in the side wall, second was a pinch flat that also unseated the tyre and wouldn’t go back up when repaired.

Now have RimPact Pro in the rear of the full sus, not looking forward to taking the tyre off at the trail side but I have ridden with it and no air, only realised because it was squeaking!

ayjaydoubleyou

Not sure I understand this? How is it any different to without an insert? Maybe easier as the insert keeps the tyre in a decent shape before any air added.

yeah -my experience from installing was it was easier once the insert had been wrestled in there. Track pump through the presta valve (without inserts I usually take the valve out).
    And now they are on, can be at zero psi and dont pop off the bead.

Havent tried unseating them with my single on-bike toolkit tyre lever though…

luket

I rarely carry a tube now but will for big rides. I snapped a valve stem (stick came up and went between just the right pair of spokes) so did have to take out the insert and fit a tube once trail side. Bit of a pain but not the end of the world. I just tied it to my camelbak, which was fine as a one-off. It probably makes sense to have a few goes at taking a tyre on and off with them when you first get them.

reeksy

For people who have been riding them for a while, what happens when you do manage to get a puncture? Do you even bother carrying a tube? They’re such a massive ball ache to fit, I knew that if they failed on the trail I was walking back to the car park. There’s no way I could get a tube in trail side.

From experience, if you can’t get a dynaplug to seal the hole, you pull them out, throw in a tube and wear them over your shoulders back pack style.

After doing this a few times you decide they’re more hassle than they’re worth and use a DH carcass tyre instead, run higher pressures and end up with less punctures overall.

YMMV

didnthurt

I changed a tyre complete with insert at the side of car once when I tore the side wall of the tyre. It was easier than I thought it would be and a lot easier than when I originally installed the insert. It was a messy affair but nothing an old towel and a bin bag couldn’t sort out.

lardman
    Free Member

Until running inserts, I’d only had 1 tyre side-wall slash in 15 years. I’ve had 3 in the past 4yrs since running inserts.

Might just be coincidence, but there’s one thing for sure, if you DO slash the side wall, or even get a puncture near where the insert meets the tyre at the side, they don’t fix as easily trail side.

Taking them out was not too tricky however, on the shorter ride (distance from home about 4 miles) I just rode on the flat tyre. The rimpact held its shape nicely and I just rode slowly. I needed BOTH tyre levers however, and lots of finger strength to get the bead off one side.

I’ve also had a snapped spoke fire through the rim tape and mean I had to take the insert out completely. I’d second the tip about bin bag and zip ties to stow the slimy ring of foam.

The only reason I’ll keep them in there is to protect carbon rims from damage. Not too fussed about performance benefit from running lower pressures.

chakaping
    Free Member

Until running inserts, I’d only had 1 tyre side-wall slash in 15 years. I’ve had 3 in the past 4yrs since running inserts.

Might just be coincidence,

Might just be conincidence, but I used to slash tyres a couple of times a year at least, however since moving to inserts I’ve had very few problems.

One of the big benefits of inserts is that we don’t have to be so scared of mullering our rims on rocks, so we tend to take more aggressive lines and ride faster. Which might mean we’re more likely to slash thinner-walled tyres?

jimdubleyou

Which might mean we’re more likely to slash thinner-walled tyres?

I got rather ambitious on the North Downs with some inserts and some Thunderburts a couple of summers ago. Had to put a tube in and wear the insert as a sash. I obviously looked awesome…

luket

My current theory about spangling a lot of tyres is that some sort of combination of riding the back wheel more aggressively and bottoming out the shock a bit too often has increased my tyre (and rim) damage a lot. So I’ve also just fitted a shock volume reducing spacer in the hope that might help. If it does I’ll wind the carcass arms race back a notch. A lighter/faster back tyre would be nice. In the last 2.5 years, half without inserts, half with, I’ve killed far too many back tyres. Inserts may have helped but they certainly haven’t been transformational (for me, so far).

On previous bikes I wasn’t a serial killer of tyres by any stretch.

chakaping
    Free Member

Inserts may have helped but they certainly haven’t been transformational (for me, so far).

On previous bikes I wasn’t a serial killer of tyres by any stretch.

Which inserts have you tried on the rear?

I still damaged rims with the original Rimpacts, but the Pro version is MUCH more effective.

Not saying it makes rims invincible, but it’s very, very good.

luket

Which inserts have you tried on the rear?

I still damaged rims with the original Rimpacts, but the Pro version is MUCH more effective.

Not saying it makes rims invincible, but it’s very, very good.

Oh, OK, that’s interesting. I just bought a pair of the original Rimpacts. On the rear of two bikes. Choice probably in large part price driven. I’m going first to refine the rest of my setup and see what that does, but I will later bear your advice in mind and may upgrade then.

VanHalen

to even get the tyre on teh rim was a massive mission in my case. getting it off i may have to cut the tyre. remember you have to physically push the tyre bead under the insert into teh centre of the rim all teh way around the rim which the insert fights. i can no way see me doing this trailside as i needed something to brace teh wheel (a open bin) and a big non sharp pokie thing to lean all my weight on to shift the bead under teh insert (in this case a convenient large paintbrush handle!). I suppose i could just stand on teh tyre trailside to compress it into teh rim well but it might not work…

militantmandy
    Free Member

I’m saw somewhere online that some people take roadie tubes with long valve stems and will remove the existing valve and then stab the tube valve all the way through the insert, reseat tyre and inflate the tube before riding on, anyone tried this?

Cunning. I’ve never heard of this before.

beer247
    Free Member

I’m currently running an original in the rear only with Exo+ tyres.

Might go back to the pro in the rear for winter so I can lower the pressure a bit and chuck the original in the front.

I don’t seem to get punctures that often, last one was Christmas 2021 (pre inserts) where I pinch flatted a Double Down Minion.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.