Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Insecure 54 year old seeks advice
  • pallyally
    Free Member

I’m told I was 54 last Sunday.

I get out biking just about every weekend. I [u]can get it up every night if I don’t drink too much. The wife keeps complaining that her sleep is disturbed. I passed everyone I came across on the black at Llandegla last week. I’ve even started rock climbing again FFS….after 13 years (and amazing myself I might add) I worry that in the next 12 months or so my heart will explode or my liver will go the same way as my fellow Govanite Rab C Nesbit.

Should I continue developing a complex about my age ?
    Should I just throw in the towel and carry on getting pissed and fat ?
    Do I have another few years in me ?

I have this feeling that if I gave up drinking, eating and drinking and did a wee bit of training I could perform even better than I did in my twenties. How old are the older STW Bikers ?

If you cannot remember the Cuba Crisis please ignore this posting.

woody2000

Age is no barrier to looking and feeling good, keep it up!

:

hora
    Free Member

Don’t overdue it mind. Injuries know no age. You want to be training yourself up nicely ready for looooooooongggg summer days in the saddle. 🙂

pallyally
    Free Member

Woody, thanks. I’m off to get the razorblades now

pallyally
    Free Member

Hora My ribs & bones cary the scars. Healing isn’t so quick these days

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The wife keeps complaining that her sleep is disturbed.

perhaps you could try it while she’s still awake ?

pallyally
    Free Member

Simon….she complains that I stop her from getting to sleep….oh What’s the point…….

hora
    Free Member

You do it when your otherhalf is awake? Sick, thats kinky 😯

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

she complains that I stop her from getting to sleep.

ideally it’s supposed to be enough fun that sleep seems less important…

pallyally
    Free Member

Simon….When you’ve been doing it for 30 years plus it doesn’t work that way !!!!
    Sleep is certainly not as important to me!!!

cinnamon_girl

Age is just a number and it’s up to you whether you want to take any notice of it! I’m an old girl and everyone I ride with is younger than me, so what? People should take you for what you are, not for the wrinkles they see.

It’s bloomin’ hard work trying to keep up with the youngsters on a bike but I ask myself whether they will be riding at my age. The odd person whom I have told my age has been quite shocked 😯

Don’t get pissed and fat cos it won’t make you happy. Carry on with what you are doing, so long as your wife is OK about it. Glucosamine sulphate is recommended, lessens the aches and pains. As for sex … will leave that one to the blokes 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If you cannot remember the Cuba Crisis please ignore this posting.

The Cuban Missile Crisis was 47 years ago when you were about 7 years old. If you can remember it, you must have been quite a precocious child to have been following international current affairs, and the developing tensions between two super powers at the height of the Cold War.

Maybe I was a bit backward, but I didn’t attempt to read the Guardian until I was 10 years old 😯

Still, as I can’t remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, I won’t comment any further 🙄

pallyally
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl….unfortunately age isn’t just a number. I like to think that I’m quite fit but in the past year I have definitely seen an incremental change in my flexibility and ability to heal. If I miss a weekend biking my fitness goes back a month. I don’t find it hard keeping up with younger bikers generally but I can’t keep going for ever. My dad had a heart attack at my age FFS.
    I do in fact like getting pissed and a bit of bonking.
    The wife thinks she’s an expert on nutrition. I’ll ask about the glucsom, Glosumot, glugsotamine stuff. BTW do you remember the Cuba Crisis ???

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Maybe I was a bit backward, but I didn’t attempt to read the Guardian until I was 10 years old

I hear it’s still a bit of a struggle for you ernie…still, at least they do the comic at weekends 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I hear it’s still a bit of a struggle for you

I manage fine. If there’s one of them ‘big words’ what I don’t understand, I just phone me mum up and asks her what it means.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I have definitely seen an incremental change in my flexibility and ability to heal

I think this is more a matter of expectation than inevitability. I’ve not noticed myself healing any slower yet, and I can still do the Lotus 🙂

I do in fact like getting pissed and a bit of bonking.

I like more sex and less booze 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Glucosamine takes a while to kick in, you’ll need minimum of 1500g per day, the one with chondroitin. Check out healthspan.co.uk – good quality and reasonable prices.

Things will take longer to heal, you need to listen to your body. It’s understandable that you are worried given what happened to your father. Don’t GP’s do “well man” health checks or something? Might be worth checking out.

Nothing wrong with getting pissed and bonking 😆

Sorry, don’t remember the Cuba crisis. Would have been too busy playing with my dolls 8)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I like more sex and less booze

Well if you cut down on the booze SFB, you might find that you are able to have more sex.

pallyally
    Free Member

ernie_lynch…the educational system in Scotland is superior to that in England and we learned all about global political issues from an early age. We didn’t read the Guardian. We read the Daily Record!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’m 41 this year, I’m the fittest I’ve ever been and working on improving that,I’m doing the HONC, a 24hr solo race, a 12hr solo race and a 10hr solo race.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Well if you cut down on the booze SFB, you might find that you are able to have more sex.

uh, I almost never drink thanks :o)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I just phone me mum up

If you ever forget her number, I have it.

pallyally
    Free Member

KINGTUT….unfortunately you don’t have the credentials to join this thread. You don’t know what being 50+ means

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

uh, I almost never drink thanks

But still you want to drink less ? Good for you !

… and good luck with getting more sex btw.

Moses

She must be two-timing me!

Moses

I don’t remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, but i do remember Kennedy being shot.

Anyway – in answer to your questions:
    Don’t get a complex, just keep on enjoying yourself. Best not to give up & get fat. I feel worse now than I did when I was 8kg lighter.

And yes, you’ve got years left in you.
    Mrs M has been chatted up by 70+ year olds, and there was a thread on here the other night about a couple of 90+ and 100ish having sex, so there’s loads of time yet. 40 years-worth, in fact.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

But still you want to drink less ?

I meant ‘less than most people drink’.

… and good luck with getting more sex btw.

sorted thanks 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

44 this year & I reckon that the last time I was this fit I was in my teens(& I was very fit then !).Today I ran 5 mile with the hound then did a 40 mile off road bike ride…
    Flexibility’s a strange one,I’ve never been able to toe my toes(with straight legs) & you know what, I’ve never needed to.Never suffered with back ache either,reckon it’s because I have to bend my knees to reach down for things…..

Oh & I drink as much as it takes,but only 2-3 of times a month these days….Bloody credit crunch !

Sex,I gets my share 8)

stravaiger
    Free Member

54 is well past and 55 is looming soon 😕

Don’t GP’s do “well man” health checks or something?

Made the mistake of going to one of them last year – they work to a script and told me that I was drinking too much (at a beer a night!) – ignoring the fact that I am fit and eat well.

Sounds like the OP needs to chill a bit and enjoy the riding and bonking rather than seeing both as some form of competition – jeez I thought by 54 you might have learnt that there is a bit more to life than broadcasting about getting it up every night on here? Probably you definitely need to do a bit of work on the fitness to get maximum enjoyment out of (both)other activities.

If its any comfort my wife’s riding(or should I say biking in the context of this thread!) companion is early 60’s – not fast but still enjoying getting out there

zaskar
    Free Member

Just get a check up and a heart rate monitor.

Take antioxidants and watch your nutrition.

Less worrying more laughing.

Your an inspiration to us.

Don’t get fat.

http://www.indiatoday.com.au/yourstory-faujasingh.htm

90 Years old/young marathon runner:

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Take antioxidants and watch your nutrition

or better still ignore foolish dietary fads :o)

cinnamon_girl

Your an inspiration to us.

Love it!!! Is there a badge?

(I’m an embarrassment to my kids though).

miketually
    Free Member

My mum doesn’t remember the Cuba crisis. You lot are old.

😉

cinnamon_girl

Meant to have said … I can highly recommend getting a Mid-Life Crisis bike 😉

pallyally
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl…done the mid life crisis thing. Woke up one morning and decided I just had to buy a Santa Cruz Blur straight away. So I did.

And then there’s the other mid life crisis stuff that I choose not to own up to here.

cinnamon_girl

Santa Cruz – good taste!

Seriously, have you thought about “Relate” for counselling? People don’t talk enough these days, it’s easier not to with all the distractions that exist.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Hi old fella, aparently I was 54 on Wedensday!!. Age is just a number, I haven’t a clue how old I am most of the time. Last yaer I gave up being a mechanic and went self employed as a window cleaner/handyman.
    Just do what you want and **** all those that say your to old.
    O/h and remember to keep your pecker up.

pallyally
    Free Member

Counselling ????? Why would I need that ??????

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Maybe cinnamon_girl feels your marriage is at risk and your wife’s about to leave you.

…….. see, you’ve got more problems than you thought you had when you started this thread

RudeBoy
    Free Member

uh, I almost never drink thanks :o)

Eh, But I thought you never drank, ever? So you do drink!

HA!

You old dipsomaniac, you!!!!!!!!!! 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Insecure 54 year old seeks advice’ is closed to new replies.