Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Insanely underrated albums
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

My starter is America’s Sweetheart by Courtney Love.
    I know she’s led an interesting life but like a latter day Marianne Faithful it has obscured her talent to a degree.

And speaking of Marianne: Broken English

marksnook
    Free Member

I got given a poster of that cover for some reason, I kept it because it made me laugh that it didn’t look that much like Courtney Love!

ElShalimo

Stone Roses – Second Coming

Most people wasted their energy complaining about the long delay after the first album, they moaned it wasn’t the same as the first album and the costs involved etc.

In my view, and the view of many retrospective reviewers recently, it is much better than the first album in many ways but given the negativity around it’s release it was never given a chance.

jonjones262
    Free Member

^^^ yep, the Second Coming is an amazing album!

Scream, by Chris Cornell is really good. Everyone got all “it’s not grunge…” but it’s soooooo good

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Id forgotten Bruce’s singing career after Moonlighting.

chakaping
    Free Member

In my view, and the view of many retrospective reviewers recently, it is much better than the first album in many ways

It’s not bad at all, but better than the debut? Have you been at Ian Brown’s crack pipe?

My first nomination: Beulah – When Your Heartstrings Break

If you like what used to be called “indie guitar music”, do give it a try (click through to YouTube for full playlist).

Rubber_Buccaneer

Good move

pondo

My first nomination: Beulah – When Your Heartstrings Break

Thanks for the shout – on track three and it’s suiting my mood perfectly. 🙂

kerley
    Free Member

Stone Roses – Second Coming

Agree and I loved it from first listen as soon as it as release and still love it now. I found the first album a bit too poppy (although still great)

submarined
    Free Member

Daughter’s ‘If You Leave’.
    Raw, melancholic beauty.
    Desperately sad in some places but with glimmering elements of hope. One of my all time favourites.

nbt

King’s X first two albums –

Out Of The Silent Planet

and

Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

At one point they were mentioned by lots and lots of musicians as being influential and “the next big thing”, but never quite broke through commercially. Fantastic albums though

DezB
    Free Member

I could probably list quite a few albums, but one that comes to mind is
    “Salt” by Roseau

I think she must’ve gone back to a 9to5, cos she’s disappeared. Shame.

DezB
    Free Member

The artwork around the time was gorgeous too

RustySpanner

I’ve got a soft spot for ABC’s second album, Beauty Stab.

Everyone hates it, even the band.

Very different from the first LP, but I can’t help liking it a lot more.

kilo

MSP

Depends on how you define underrated, this one was fairly popular when released, history perhaps redefined them just as a pop greatest hits band, but IMO well worth sitting down and listening to One step beyond by Madness.

One Step Beyond

BoardinBob

It gets a very hard time, which isn’t surprising given Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik preceded it, but I think it’s an absolutely fantastic album, and it’s a huge insult to Dave Navarro that it gets so much criticism

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I do really like One Hot Minute, my favourite Chillis album – though I did really enjoy Californication when it came out.

I put that Courtney Love album on, and amn’t loving it – songs seem a bit pedestrian and the production is a bit blah. Live Through This was my highlight for her.

I dunno if it’s underrated but I’ve really enjoyed going back to Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt. Songwriting, playing and vibe are great.

spacey

I love that Daughter album, great shout

Coyote
    Free Member

My usual answer to this is JuJu by Siouxsie and the Banshees. It’s an utterly brilliant album, all killer no filler. Probably one of my favourite albums with some of John McGeoch’s best work. Sublime.

kelvin

I enjoyed it.

DezB
    Free Member

She’s your little voodoo dolly… I’m going to play the album 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

+1 for Second Coming. Have always loved it.

@submarined
    – I am a big fan of Daughter. I remember considering If You Leave to be my album of the year at the time. Elena Thorn’s Ex:Re album seemed to get more attention (it is also excellent).

To be honest though, I don’t think I have ever stopped to think much about whether other people like the music or not – I (like everyone else above I think) just enjoy the music on its own merits. There is no objective good and bad when it comes to art, so I permit myself a subjective assessment and go from there.

Anyway, keep posting the interesting music – better than concentrating on proper work..!

StuF

How to Steal the World – Helicopter Girl
    How to steal the world

and this is one of my happy summer albums, Money Mark – Push the button

push the buttton

Pyro

REM – New Adventures in Hi-Fi. Got panned after the success of Monster, but is a bit of a sleeper. E-Bow The Letter maybe wasn’t the best single choice, but Leave, The Wake-Up Bomb and So Fast, So Numb are all in the mould of Monster and Undertow is just a cracking track.

DezB
    Free Member

some of John McGeoch’s best work.

And Budgie’s. The drumming on this is a joy.

Coyote
    Free Member

Indeed… I’ll listen to it again later today.

abingham

Both Second Toughest in the Infants and Barking by Underworld are criminally underrated IMO.

They often fall in the shadow of DubNoBassWithMyHeadMan, which is brilliant in it’s own right, but particularly Second Toughest doesn’t get the praise it deserves.

DezB
    Free Member

Barking has some glorious songs on it. What about Oblivion With Bells? I need to play that now.

Well when Sonic Youth Goo has finished. It was near to Siouxsie in the rack and haven’t listened to it in decades. Shit, it’s good.

breninbeener

@DezB have you heard Peter and Kerry? Kerry is Kerry Leatham from Roseau.

There is some stuff from last year….still amazing

Ian

P-Jay
    Free Member

One Hot Minute,

I’m pretty much on the fence with that one, I’ve been a huge RHCP fan for years.

The ‘problem’ is it doesn’t feel or sound like a RHCP album, less so now the more stuff they’ve out out, but at the time it just didn’t.

It was a convergence of circumstances, mostly because of Frusciante leaving, rather than Navarro joining, but it meant a different singing ‘style’ from Kiedis, singing rather than his more rap-style. Songs written in a different style, often by different people to a different style of music. It doesn’t help that it’s book-ended by probably their two best, most successful Albums.

I read recently that Frusciante has rejoined and they’re recording again, maybe they’ll release another “Californication” or maybe it’ll sound like a group of near-OAPs jumping around half naked shouting la la land pseudomythological nonsense in between Guitar solos.

DezB
    Free Member

No! I’ll have to look it up – I’ve been checking her Soundcloud & Facebook and there’s nothing. Nice one, cheers!

DezB
    Free Member

Sorry, just got to the end of Goo and am like, what? why? not really the thread for it but hey ho. Maybe it is underrated by some!

allanoleary
    Free Member

I’ll chuck a vote in for Nothing But Thieves: Broken Machine. One of my favourite albums of recent times along with Highly Suspect: The Boy Who Died Wolf

kelvin

Second Toughest in the Infants

Is highly praised, highly respected, sold in huge numbers… not sure how it’s “underrated”… I’m putting it on now though… thanks for the nudge…

abingham

All true, but seems to still be eclipsed by DubNoBass…

allanoleary
    Free Member

I read recently that Frusciante has rejoined and they’re recording again, maybe they’ll release another “Californication” or maybe it’ll sound like a group of near-OAPs jumping around half naked shouting la la land pseudomythological nonsense in between Guitar solos.

I’m eagerly waiting to hear what they come up with. As talented a musician as Josh is he is not as good a creative writer as John. I get the feeling that whatever album they release this time will be a final swansong with one final huge world tour. I just hope and pray that it’s somewhere close to as good as BSSM and By The Way

kelvin

That’s an incredibly high bar Allan!

gauss1777
    Free Member

Considering it was dissed by the band themselves, I’m going for Atom Heart Mother. I love the album, it might even be my most listened to Floyd album

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Insanely underrated albums’ is closed to new replies.