(Innerleithen) Oh good, it's snowing again……

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • (Innerleithen) Oh good, it's snowing again……
  • thv3

Well, thought today was going to be the first day since before Xmas I was going to get out for a "proper" ride.

The Alpine Winter series round 1 was cancelled over the weekend, and now I wonder how the 2nd round is going to fare.

Properly fed up as the novelty of "riding" in snow has well and truly worn thin!

Any suggestions?

Premier Icon steveh
    Subscriber

The weekends problem was the -10 overnight temperatures the snow itself was fine. I was in the first couple of people down the course on saturday morning and it was fine. Second run down an hour later, a load of riders down the hill, everything polished up and no grip anywhere.

Went down pretty hard on the first corner and apparently just looked surprised about it πŸ™‚

thv3

Same here initially ok but quickly developed into an ice rink.

I think everyone was pretty surprised at the conditions. At the chute from the fire road I saw a guys bike shoot right out from under him a full 180 degrees and land on top of him. Now that's what I call getting your weight back πŸ™‚

People were even crashing on the flat wide open bits!

Point is, this snow isn't going to help the thaw is it?

coffeeking

I'm still a fan of the snow, sorry, it makes a nice change from wet dull dreary weather, even if it does make riding harder.

Only good thing about the snow is no bike or kit washing when you get home…comes back cleaner than when you started!

mafiafish

Is innerleithen as a whole totally snowed up then? Pondering the Red if Dunkeld's iced up.

swiss01

is dunkeld iced up still? i was thinking about going there tonight!

mafiafish

Swiss- trying to work it out in the St Andrews thread.

If you could let me know if you do go there tonight that'd help! Or even if you fancy some company I don't mind going on a night ride recce, it'll get me out the house.

darrell

dont move to Norway – had 20cm of fresh white fluffy stuff in the past 2 days….thats to go on top of the 50cm of rubbly ice thats still lying around from the last dump. πŸ˜₯

thv3

Innerleithen has got a fresh blanket of about 2 inches at lower levels this morning.

Still had not thawed from the last lot up high so god knows how much is up the top of the red at the Minch.

Premier Icon Dougal
    Subscriber

I'm still a fan of the snow, sorry, it makes a nice change from wet dull dreary weather, even if it does make riding harder.

Same here, not missed a planned day of riding so far this winter. The dog loves the snow too. πŸ˜‰

Grimy

Just booked a cottage in Innerleithen for the first week of march. Myself and two of my mates all turn 30 that week 😯 so were dragging our Gf's up there for a bit of riding, drinking, etc. 8)

Can any locals pass on any tips for riding that area, and what the best pubs are! lol. The girls are gonna need something to do while were out on the bikes too.

tiggs121

Grimy

Traquair Arms in Innerleithen is ok

Bridge Inn in Peebles is a good pub – no food though.

Peebles Hydro for girly pampering – swim – lunches are popular.

Loads of riding – email for some maps if you like.

cheers

Grimy – Hire bikes available for the Girls. Or the bus to Edinburgh for the day.

Grimy

Sorted, cheers fellas. Tiggs, ill send you an email thanks!

I was supposed to be travelling up to ride GT and Inners this weekend. Will it be a complete waste of time??

Where else could we go? Don't mind mapreading. Staying in Innerleithen BTW.

Premier Icon oldfart
    Subscriber

We did the Red route Saturday as part of http://www.ticket2ridebc.com/summer/ weekend get together .The loop up to Minch summit had a foot of snow in places .Quite a bit of pushing needed and the descent was a mare as well .Black ice a go go !

mafiafish

GT was fine yesterday apart from spooky woods.

mr plow

Rode Inners red on Saturday and thought it was magic with the icey snow. Just hard enough to take a bikes weight and opened up a whole load of new lines up and down the hill. I took one excellent line about 5ft away from the trail off the moor and had to emergency hop a burn while laughing out loud.

Wondered who the huge group was – I passed you while you waiting just before heading along the fireroad to Caddon Bank.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Get some studded tyres if it's icy – no probs πŸ™‚

Apparently it's going to get proper cold again next week.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘(Innerleithen) Oh good, it's snowing again……’ is closed to new replies.