Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Inner tube weirdness (not for tubeless proponents)
  • andrewreay

Think there is some sort of biking leprechaun in the house.

Had a puncture on the road bike a couple of weeks ago – a snakebite. Replaced it at the side of the road and back home fixed the holey tube with a Park adhesive patch that neatly covered the snakebite.

Put the tube away and it became my spare. On Monday I had another puncture, so changed the tube for the spare (repaired) one. The spare tube was fine and got me home and stayed rock solid.

Put the bike away.

Next morning, tyre was flat, almost completely gone with barely enough pressure to keep the sidewall up.

Took the tube and tyre off and found nothing wrong with anything. No wheel issues, no valve issues and patch still fixed firmly in place – no gaps.

Tested the tube using a bowl of water. Nowt wrong. Held air and no leaks.

So put the tube back on the wheel having re-checked wheel and tyre. Pumped it up and it is still rock solid now, three days later.

What gives? How did it lose so much pressure AFTER the ride and then not have any leaks since?

Not an invitation for tubeless recommendations – the wheels aren’t compatible. Just wondering if this is the law of sod, a mischievous elf or could there be some scientific explanation?

It was cold on Monday and bike went from room temp to outside (1-4 Celsius) then back to room temp. Then it went flat. A Conti tube too.

Any ideas?

franksinatra

High five to fellow tube user! I thought I was the only one.

andrewreay

🤜 (fist pump)

Only on the road bike though…

andrewh
    Free Member

I suspect a valve issue. Slow enough to get you home, but jiggling it or whatever to check it has reseated something correctly

misteralz
    Free Member

Agree with Andrew H. Also a fellow tube user.

coatesy
    Free Member

Yep, went through a spate of faulty valves/random flat tyres quite a few years ago.

Rickos
    Free Member

Tubez Rulez. 8)

hardtailonly

I want to know how I got a flat on the turbo!

Intact tyre, no obvious sharp bits on the inside of the tyre. Inner tube looks like it was a thorn or similar. Specific turbo wheel which has never been outside! 🤷‍♂️

easily
    Free Member

Another tube user. I like tubes.

I’ve had similar things happen that I never got to the bottom of. andrewh’s explanation sounds plausible.

jamesoz

Intact tyre, no obvious sharp bits on the inside of the tyre. Inner tube looks like it was a thorn or similar. Specific turbo wheel which has never been outside! 🤷‍♂️

Puncture fairy working from home. Covid and all that

avdave2

I’ve had one go on the turbo, with a hell of a bang too. I’d left the roller pressing on the tyre after the previous ride so it might have been that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Inner tube weirdness (not for tubeless proponents)’ is closed to new replies.