Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Inner Cable Routing
  • theotherjonv

I need to replace an inner routing cable and had a mare when trying to route it the first time (was built up from parts)

I can get 2m of inner sheath for about a fiver, which I can feed over the existing cable before pulling the cable out, leave a few inches proud at either end of the stops, and then feed the new cable back through it.

Or spend £60 on the Park tools version. Really? Are these kits worth it (maybe the ebay rip off ones for £20)

kentishman
    Free Member

Did this for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Took the outside of an old cable off with a knife to make an inner sheath and followed this video.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIeRyBSDdDw
    Work fine. So I’d say don’t bother with the kit.

daern
    Free Member

I have the Jagwire internal routing tool and it is absolutely awesome for doing this, turning a pig of a job into something straightforward.

Worth noting that, as it’s all done with magnets, it only works on aluminium and plastic frames, not steel ones!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johni
    Free Member

I’ve used string and a vacuum cleaner in the past. Feed string in at one end and use the vacuum to pull it through the other. Just make sure you’ve tied the end of the string you don’t want through the frame to something first!

Just tape the thing you want to drag through onto the sting or original cable if it is still there and drag through.

thepurist

When replacing internal cables I just pull off the old outer leaving the old inner in place, cut new outer to length using old one as a template, thread new outer over old inner then pull out old inner and thread new inner through new outer. I’m sure some will think a new outer over old inner will somehow corrupt the outer but I’ve never noticed an issue, just make sure the inner is cut cleanly rather than being a frayed mess when it pulls through.

theotherjonv

that works on one of my frames but on the other not – I have outer from brifters to a cable stop on the downtube, then it runs naked inside the frame under the BB and along a chainstay to pop out for another length of outer to the derailleur.

It’s not so bad if you do F&R and rear brake at the same time as you can then take the BB cable guide off which opens a bigger hole in the BB but if you don’t want or need to do all three, getting the cable out through the cable sized channel in the BB guide is a mare. But feeding a length of thin tube up the downtube from BB to cable stop, and another from BB along the chainstay using the old cable as a guide first makes if far easier.

Just wondering how much easier still the real deal is, and if it’s worth the cost.

dogxcd

Cotton thread as pull through & vacuum cleaner: boom!

sl2000

If you’re replacing an existing cable, use a RockShox Reverb Stealth Barb Connector (e.g. https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/rockshox-reverb-stealth-barb-connector-srmtls815066030/) to join the old and new cables. Works a treat and only costs a few pounds!

theotherjonv

that’ll join hoses, not cables, surely?

granny_ring

OP, had this on my Anthem frame and got the inner sheath on Ebay. Worked a treat.

sl2000

that’ll join hoses, not cables, surely?

Sorry yes you are of course right. Joins brake hose, but also gear outer cable – which is what I think you’re trying to route? Use example here: https://www.mtbiking.com.au/workshop/dealing-with-internal-cable-routing.

theotherjonv

nope, trying to get the inner cable through the frame and back out of the stops

I have outer from brifters to a cable stop on the downtube, then it runs naked inside the frame under the BB and along a chainstay to pop out for another length of outer to the derailleur.

solarider
    Free Member

Cotton and vacuum cleaner method for me. There’s something quite satisfying about how effective and cheap this method is vs spending £60 on an overpriced kit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Inner Cable Routing’ is closed to new replies.