Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Inlaws: is it too early?
  • anagallis_arvensis

To startva thread complaining, mine arrive tomorrow and I’m already annoyed!

myopic
    Free Member

Mine arrive in 2 days. I’ve been annoyed for weeks!

marcus7
    Free Member

Why did you invite them?, i see this every year and it baffles me, if you don’t like these people why invite them?. Will be me, her indoors and the kids with various visits during the period, Skype my mother and jobs a good un!.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Mine arrived last Christmas and stayed for a week.
    So this year we’re leaving the country first thing on Boxing day and only coming back after new year 🙂

the-muffin-man

Just my mum and dad coming over, who are fine, and we get on with.

Only downside is my mum can’t stand a bit of silence and has to fill every moment with inane chatter about relatives I last saw 40 odd years ago. We just drink and glaze over by about 4pm!

badnewz
    Free Member

Why did you invite them?, i see this every year and it baffles me, if you don’t like these people why invite them?.

Depends on your relationship with your other half. Sometimes it can be better to lose a battle to win a war.

I was expecting an inlaw thread but where is the “Can any recommend any good divorce lawyers thread?” Or is it too early?

franksinatra

Mine arrive tomorrow, luckily they stay in their camper van on the driveway so could be a lot worse. She does irritate the hell out of me though, but I have made a conscious decision this year to rise above it!

myopic
    Free Member

Badnewz – kind of, but I’m not trying to win a war – it’s more about give and take. Quite happy to end up with a draw!

GregMay
    Free Member

We had them over a month before festivities. Works much better.

the-muffin-man: I feel your pain. My mother is the same. I’ve taken to walking out of the room. She just keeps yammering on without me.

Kryton57

We are going to ours on Friday after telling them we aren’t cooking for the 3rd year running and they are. They’ve been instructed to have the fridge full of beer & mince pies at the ready, I full intended to turn up in my shorts with expanding waist, and a Hawian shirt and take the piss make myself comfortable with a beer & wine glass for 6/7hrs before I’m driven home.

Reverse that with Mrs K for Boxing Day when I’ll drive.

ThePinkster

I’ve never understood this animosity towards in-laws. Perhaps I’ve been lucky and although the future Mrs. Pinksters parents are no longer with us we always got on, as she does with my Dad.

Some of these stories do make me laugh though, so please carry on 😀

Kryton57

To be fair my in-laws have been very good to me also, but there are stereotypes rules to adhere to about these things.

spekkie
    Free Member

Meeting my dad and step mum at a restaurant for Christmas lunch with my sister and her family.
    Having the in-laws round on Boxing Day for lunch. Dad in law is great. Mum in law is ignorable, and I can manage that no problem.

MoreCashThanDash

In laws came up last week for four days. We are going to them on Boxing Day for three days. I adopt the glaze over approach. Apparently I can’t take a bike.

Xmas Day at my parents. MrsMC and my Mum annoy the hell out of each other. Will be great…..

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’m spending a few days with the out-laws from the 25th, they’re both great and I hope to be taking him to Llandegla on the 27th.

jekkyl

Having ours round for a meal and the afternoon on Boxing day. My fil insists on wearing too much aftershave and I really can’t stand strong smells, really puts me off. Why wear a gallon of aftershave when you’re just going round to your daughter and sil’s house? Also he’s a larger gentleman and when he flings himself down onto my sofa I cringe expecting to hear the springs pop. He also condones violence and happily tells stories about when he ‘thumped’ some guy years ago, which I could do without my 4yr daughter hearing. I’ve got some Leffe in for myself which should make the afternoon just about bearable, that and the fact I shall be hiding in the kitchen making lunch.
    Merry Christmas!

edit: lol@

Apparently I can’t take a bike.

sounds like the conversations in my house.

rickmeister

Its never too early to put the foundations for a new patio down…

Either that, or Liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti….

olly2097
    Free Member

My inlaws are super God botherers and Xmas is always very conservative when they are about. Have a can of lager and you are an alcoholic.

They’ve done loads for us and are very supportive and very kind. Much more than my parents. Can’t really grumble.

rocketman
    Free Member

My in-laws are fine especially now they’ve retired we have a good laugh

Mrs.rocket is tactful and diplomatic but doesn’t take crap from anyone so my side are less pretentious than usual which is good

Not long now eh 🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

Bring on the inlaw stories I say.

anagallis_arvensis

Why did you invite them?

I didnt.

mark90
    Free Member

Visting the in-laws after chirstmas for a couple of days (christmas with my parents). It will be the same as last year, and I mean exactly the same, with the same stories/conversations with the MIL. FIL is sound, crack out the whiskey when MIL goes to bed early 🙂

Legoman
    Free Member

She just keeps yammering on without me

not just mine then!

globalti
    Free Member

My MIL arrived two months ago and is enjoying life as self-appointed “invalid” in the house while receiving chemo. She’s quite capable of looking after herself because Mrs Gti has caught her making herself tea and raiding the fridge when she thought she was out. The physios have given up trying to get her active. We have banned her from the lounge and kitchen because she stinks of urine and everything she sits on has to be washed.

So Christmas looks like being a ball.

badnewz
    Free Member

Constant yammering and talking must be some sort of medical condition. I’ve known men and women who have it, except in this case, the suffering is not experienced directly by the patient, but those people around him or her.

franksinatra

It is only when we have relatives over (an in particular the inlaws) that we realise we are actually quite quiet people. MIL really struggles with not talking, it is necessary to always talk, even when watching her soaps which seem to be on 24hrs per day. This includes a constant commentary on the weather which will include constant gross exaggeration such as it is perishing, blowing a gale, bitterly cold, etc etc. She also has an absolute allergy to fresh air or any time of physical exertion..

sadexpunk

my wifes family make the jeremy kyle show look like songs of praise. we wont be spending christmas with them.

ninkynonk
    Free Member

FIL – sadly departed but was a great bloke

MIL – what can I say… everything Les Dawson said was true!

Pigface
    Free Member

I knew someone who was tapping his MIL, let’s sat it didn’t end well and the ramifications are still ongoing some 30 years later.

franksinatra

I knew someone who was tapping his MIL, let’s sat it didn’t end well and the ramifications are still ongoing some 30 years later.

A MILILF?

BoardinBob

Divorce on the way so no in-laws, plus I don’t speak to my family. Actual bliss.

Girlfriend and I will spend xmas morning together then she’s away to her family, and I have an afternoon of doing whatever I want along with some brilliant food, beer and wine.

Enjoy your misery chaps 😆

jolmes
    Free Member

Inlaws are fantastic, we go to her parents house every year without fail and its a much welcome break! Its my own mother who is the annoying one.

Drac

Probably have my mother in law and sister in law around tomorrow night, they’r caring, kind and funny people. We’ll see them on Xmas day too and boxing day for dinner. Should be good not often I get to spend so much time with them, never spent enough time with the father in law as he died before he retired and did long hours too.

Enjoy your misery chaps

Couldn’t think of anything more miserable than not talking to my family.

spacemonkey

Outlaws arrive on Boxing Day and return home a week later. Looking forward to it as they’re plenty of fun and get properly stuck in. They’re also great at looking after monkey jnr (to a degree) so the missus and I can at least have some time to ourselves for a change.

matt_outandabout

My inlaws are great. Really great.

trailhound101

I just think, what would Tom Wrigglesworth do? The antics of the old folks then just becomes comedy gold … keep drinking and giggling!

ThePinkster

just think, what would Tom Wrigglesworth do? The antics of the old folks then just becomes comedy gold … keep drinking and giggling!

😆 I like this philosophy^^

alansd1980

My parents arrived last night and will be around until Boxing Day evening but they are staying with my mil.
    It’s the first Xmas with us since we had kids so they aren’t interested in anything but grandkids which is fine.

Need to balance the wife’s ocd tidiness and my mums urge to constantly bring tat over for the kids. 8 people here on Xmas day and then the wife’s side come over on the 27th. I “might” need to go into work on the morning of the 27th for a couple of hours so that’s a nice chance to get away if it’s all too much by then.

Should be painless compared to some others but my wife’s not too keen on my brother so on Xmas day there is always some potential for a blow up between them!

badnewz
    Free Member

I agree, drinking through it helps, it’s the only answer to the boredom of having to watch the misery of Eastenders on xmas day with equally miserable people.

BoardinBob

Couldn’t think of anything more miserable than not talking to my family.

You’ve not met mine. My mother is evil personified

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Inlaws: is it too early?’ is closed to new replies.