Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 731 total)
  • Inktober
  • jimjam
    Free Member

Huge improvement Drac.

redthunder
    Free Member

No time today.
    Caveman walking his dino and knitted caveman thumbnails.
    13/31

13/31 Dino and Caveman by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

seosamh77
    Free Member

Looks more like a caveman humping his Dino tbh! 😆 😉 but I’m drunk, sorry! 😆

Euro
    Free Member

Room for another skull? 😆

Had to stop or it would have turned into a large black ball. Dabs of tippex saved the day on the bits i over did 😀

stwhannah

I’m still plugging away over on Instagram @1fishonabike – although some are admittedly done in rather a rush in batches since I’ve been busy riding bikes (yay!).

Anyway, Drac has told me how to do this image thingy, here goes…

…ooh, it works. Go me! This is ‘teeming’ btw.

Drac

Cheers folks. Maybe one day I’ll get the hang of it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

just keep going, as with everything, repetition, and just doing something hundreds of times will result in improvement.

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Again using the queue, here’s my take on “gigantic”

seosamh77
    Free Member

No14 Another guess who game! 😆

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Looks like Audrey to me

seosamh77
    Free Member

🙂 quite pleasing when they are guessed right!

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Very good, was an easy one 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s a bit wonky, but happy enough. I think there’s some progress.

liking your trees btw!

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Near side of face is excellent, far side looks off. Thanks, glad you realised they’re trees 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye the eyes don’t match particularly well. 🙁

canny decide if i’m looking up at the canopy or down at the forest floor though on your trees, there’s that weird duality thing again, a good thing! 🙂

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Oh yeah, it was meant to be looking up, but now you’ve said that I can see it either way! Cool 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

no 15. baboon skull.

jonm81

Copied from a tattoo I saw ages ago.

Sketch

Shaded

Turns out shading by stippling and scribbling is really hard using a brush.

seosamh77
    Free Member

that’s a great concept you’ve got going on there, worth developing that in to something you can hang on your wall! 🙂

jonm81

If only it was my concept. It’s copied from a tattoo a mate had done years ago and I have no idea where she had it copied it from.

It is going up on the wall in the office at work along with the other I have done in an attempt to brighten the place up.

redthunder
    Free Member

You can use my Rook if you like.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58162507@N07/37442634906/

No copyright bull… attached.

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Love the bird/forest/birds Jon, excellent.

Showed my wife your Audrey Sesomah, she immediately commented that it’s the other way around so the far side of her face looks like audrey, near side less so, and she commented that the near jaw line was “too mannish”. Just thought I’d pass on the comments, intended to be constructive.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Criticism welcome, I’m not a precious type! Tbh I’m probably far more self critical! Fundamentally I seem to have a distortion issue that I need to fix, it’s clearly evident when I draw anything, even that skull above is far too long in the nose(plenty other things wrong mind).

I think it’s just a case of doing things too fast (which is kinda the point at the moment, output stuff regardless). But I probably need to take a step back at the sketch stage and consider things alot more!

Tbh I’m actually surprised it even remotely looked like her as well, at the sketch stage I mind thinking I can’t see her in this at all! 😆 I guess that should have told it’s own story. Reckon I’d probably need to do 5 or 6 versions to get somewhere I’m happy with, all the stuff i’m doing is really just initial studies tbh.

As for the portraits, that’s attempt no4 out of what should be a couple of hundred before getting any good! (I think there’s more benefit in doing different faces than repeating the same at the moment).

I’m really enjoying it though, I had completely forgotten how much I loved drawing. Big thank you to the OP for starting the thread there!

Cheers for the comments, appreciated 🙂

redthunder
    Free Member

13/31
    5min break sketch…I like the fox.

13/31 The Hunt by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

seosamh77
    Free Member

fixed that eye! 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

Not that eye… 😆

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

“run”

seosamh77
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    Not that eye…

I did a pouch style photoshop overlay. My god! 😆 Seems I’ve got photoshop fisheye and twirl filters hardwired into my brain.

Lets just say these portraits are more inspired by rather than intended as direct representations! 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

cantbikewanttobike – Member

“run”

Don’t worry about shading (or any type of rendering or colouring) until or unless the drawing is as good as you can get it. You can’t hide or correct bad anatomy with shading, you’ll only confuse.

This is not my image but you’ll see it’s basically little more than lines. The anatomy is dynamic and pretty spot on. Beyond this the artist could begin to refine the lines and/or add shading. Sketching is a skill in itself. Shading is another, painting is another beyond that. They all intermingle but you’ll learn more doing thirty 1 minute line drawings than doing one drawing and spending 30 minutes colouring it in.

jimjam
    Free Member

Also, when drawing people it helps if you think of the main joints (knees, elbows, shoulders, hips) as hinges or pivots upon which the weight of the body is hanging or pushing, depending on the pose.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m actually just watching this just now, it’s pretty good, bodies are on my to list.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waHuGbyjghA[/video]

cantbikewanttobike
    Free Member

Thanks Jimjam, my main issue was the raised leg, not being high enough. I’m still struggling to stay loose, there’s no way I could sketch that in a minute! might watch that sesomah.

jimjam
    Free Member

That guy is a brilliant illustrator and his instruction is on point but I find it frustrating to watch tbh because even when he’s demonstrating how to be “loose” he’s still relatively tight in my opinion.

I’ve worked with some incredible illustrators in the past and of course everyone has their own style but probably my biggest drawing influence (in terms of technical instruction) was someone who was incredibly loose and fluid. He would do at least one drawing every day but he was just super fluid, expressive and dynamic.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, know what you mean, I guess looseness is relative to your style.

jimjam
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

Aye, know what you mean, I guess looseness if relative to your style.

Yeah. He has a very tight (very very tight) and precise style and I think that for beginners, learners, intermediate level people his instruction is too technical.

I just googled the chap I used to work with and found that he has a youtube channel. Definitely check these out

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-djkMesSms[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6hPztR763E[/video]

When I was 21 or so I was lucky enough to work with Graham for a year in his home studio assisting him with a 3d animation he was producing. I learned a huge amount from him, sadly most of which I’ve forgotten. He used to have an incredibly precise and graphic style (think Glen Fabry for reference) but when he got a job at Disney he learned the limitations of his style, hiding behind rendering, and so he taught himself to draw again from scratch with his left hand. A legitimate genius and an incredibly nice guy too.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7H3gpc]Graham Toms’ Painting[/url] by Lori Bravo, on Flickr

seosamh77
    Free Member

cool. will check those out, good stuff! 🙂

I taught myself to use a mouse with my left hand years ago when I broke my color bone, learning to draw is just amazing!

jimjam
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member

I taught myself to use a mouse with my left hand years ago when I broke my color bone, learning to draw is just amazing!

Yes it’s completely ridiculous. Apparently the original old masters at Disney (the surviving ones at least) pointed out the flaws in his approach and told him if he wanted to get good he had to forget all of his bad habbits. Learning to draw with his left was part of the solution to this. It took him years, obviously.

yunki
    Free Member
    seosamh77
    Free Member

No.16, more wonkyness from me! Good news though, I’ve passed the half way mark, I’m definitely commited now to the 31!

Euro
    Free Member

Sorry for the slight derailment…

A legitimate genius and an incredibly nice guy too.

A surprisingly good 5-a-side goalie too 😀 Spent two years with Graham up in Derry hey! We did the same graphic + product design course. Portraits can be added to the list of things he’s annoyingly good at. Lovely chap as you say.

Now, do more arts…

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 731 total)

The topic ‘Inktober’ is closed to new replies.