Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Injury advice needed?: Spine/neck injury – disc protusion of C5/6?
  • scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Sorry for the long story:

Woke up at the beginning of May with a bit of a stiff neck. It, as usual, cleared up a bit after 3 or so days, but I was getting arm pain and tingling down my right arm.

Eventually got referred to a chiropractor towards the end of May, who did a lot of prodding, squeezing etc, and he prescribed a course of home traction (stretching my neck up) which does relieve the discomfort temporarily.

I had X-rays, then got referred for a MRI scan this week, which has come back saying:

“At C5/6 there is a prominent left paracentral disc protusion which causes focal thecal impression of the anterior cord which retains a posterior CSF rim”

I have now been referred to a neurosurgeon. Booked the next available appointment – which is not for another 2 weeks 🙁

I’ve been advised not to ride while I have this as it causes discomfort (although it is possible), which is immensely frustrating as it is summer, and I have two brand new bikes in my possession right now. Not only that, it is affecting my sleep, and things I can do with the kids etc. Does anyone have any experience of anything like this, that can give me advice on treatment, recovery times etc?

Currently feeling like there is no end in sight, which is depressing.

hora
    Free Member

Road bike?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have a road bike, yes.

It was fairly new when I got this injury – linked?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hora
    Free Member

No – sorry to confuse I mean can you adjust your positioning and still get out on the road?

Have you had an over the bars etc or is the injury non-injury caused?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Ah, that’s a relief. I can try to adjust my bars, but the position of road biking does seem like the most uncomfortable (although I did manage to do a 75mile road ride in the early days of this injury).

It is non injury caused – although the chiropractor has suggested that years of crashing mountain bikes could be a contributory factor 😳

back2basics
    Free Member

buy a turbo trainer, ride in the garden, dont ride outside at all, any fall, even on a roadie, and your in a zone for a very very very VERY serious injury.

i had same for lower back crushed discs and was out for initially 6 months, than a further 10 months being dicked around by various experts regarding my continuing lower back pack. long story short. prolotherapy.
    but
    would i risk a wee ride inside that time with the possibility of NEVER RIDING AGAIN?
    no
    i’m out riding now every day and dont look back

think LONG TERM!

good luck and hope your recovery is quick!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Jesus.

Thanks for the info. Good to hear you are recovered now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Injury advice needed?: Spine/neck injury – disc protusion of C5/6?’ is closed to new replies.