Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Injury Advice needed pls
  • proberts
    Free Member

Hi,
    Me and my girlfriend went on a last training ride before her first London2 Brighton ride next week, After 30-odd trouble free miles she stacked it 2 miles from home. She’s now got a nasty scrape on her knee which is an oozing, green mess….if anyone knows of something we can put on it to clear it up speedy it would be appreciated.

If any injury fetishists want pics mail me…(JOKE!!)

Cheers,
    Paul

project
    Free Member

infection, need a good clean and antibiotic powder, or antibiotics.

local nhs drop in centre.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Parmesan

proberts
    Free Member

Just checked the fridge, only got dairylee slices at the mo….

shinsplints

burger cheese, lots of flex & will move with the knee.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How long ago? If less than 24 hrs

granuflex / duoderm extra thin. slap it on . leave for a week, stinking gunge develops underneath but it heals lovely

I very much doubt it needs antibiotics although it is possible in rare cases. try local minor injuries clinic or the practice nurse at your local gps

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pop down the drop in centre for a proper clean

proberts
    Free Member

Cheers Jeremy, we’ll look into that!

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Manuka honey cream

jambalaya
    Free Member

For “normal” scrapes Sudocrem is excellent (found with baby products), this does sound a bit worse than that mind.

proberts
    Free Member

Interested in the manuka Honey cream….I’ll check it out. Cheers

mrlugz
    Free Member

I came off a while back and stripped a canny bit of bark off the side of my calf.

My advice would be to not use Boots spray on skin stuff as the pain I went through after spraying it on was about 5x worse than the crash…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

don’t need to be manuka honey – honey has been used as a dressing for millenia and honey tuille dressings are available much cheaper than manuka

poly
    Free Member

don’t need to be manuka honey – honey has been used as a dressing for millenia and honey tuille dressings are available much cheaper than manuka

but this is stw surely brand is everything and the more niche your dressing the better the rider?

krixmeister

+1 jambalaya – Sudocrem works wonders, or Neosporin if you can get it (I think it is only available in the US tho)

+1 mrlugz – that stuff ain’t half stingy!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Speaking as a voice of serious road rash experience – go, NOW, to drop-in and have it cleaned.

Last time I scraped myself badly, I washed the site out with a scrubbing brush in the shower ’till it looked clean. 3 days later I want in to a hospital near Bromley with a burning feeling developing in the area, and a red patch spreading down my arm.

I was told I was an idiot for not coming in earlier, as they find all sorts of bacteria in cultures from road-rash and it might get severely infected. The sites were washed and the wounds treated with Inadine [fine mesh lagged in Iodine compound and gel] and Flamasil, and vasaline-infused pads.

The wounds infections cleared in 3 or so days with new dressings each day, and gentle washing of the site, and healing began. The itching was insane. Both scrapes were large [2-4″ dia] and pussy.

I saved some Inadine and now am using it [2 years out of date, eerk] on a series of gashes in my hand from a stack on the LLanberris path, belting down Snowden. Still been working – the little finger cut wasn’t treated for 4 days [still riding] and now the infection’s just calming down. I prep with alcohol hand gel, and use cheap plaster strip [cut to size] to change the dressings every 12 hours, with a little square of Inadine inside each plaster.

No professional cleaning/treatment and she may take weeks to heal, experience bad scarring, and maybe just need to go in later to have all the rot scraped out.

GfS

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

PS – the staff also said “Glad you didn’t put Germoline etc on it, it just makes our job harder and it doesn’t help infection”

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Injury Advice needed pls’ is closed to new replies.