Injuring yourself at an inopportune moment.

Home Forum Chat Forum Injuring yourself at an inopportune moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Injuring yourself at an inopportune moment.
  • Jamie

The plant in question looked like rhubarb but left me covered in puss weeping blisters on my legs arms

Giant hogweed?

Pyro

Giant Hogweed? Phototoxic, can be quite nasty…

Edit: Beaten to it… Great minds etc etc…

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

3 days before leaving for Morzine… I stuffed a landing and went to A&E, I could barely move in Morzine, let alone ride a bike.

In hindsight, it was properly foolish.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Over the bars skinned half of my back and broke my thumb at 3pm Sunday just before flying at 6am to teach a software course at 6am the next morning. Spent half an hour in the disabled bogs at the airport trying to reapply dressings one handed. Club hand on the mouse and zero board drawing skills. That and it was near 40c and 85%humidity.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Booked in to solo the glentress seven and race the enduro world series at tweedlove… Months of anticipation, actually doing some focused training for the first time in my life, used it as the excuse to rebuild my bike… Weekend before, had a stupid crash at Glentress and put my back out so badly I could barely walk.

Luckily some expensive visits to an abusive physio and a big bag of painkillers got me back on the bike on the morning of the first race, but I had to drop down into the knobbers category for the EWS as no way could I have completed the big boys race πŸ™ Could just about ride but couldn’t manual or properly move the bike so that but a damper on things. Still bummed about it tbh but could have been worse

Premier Icon nemesis
    Subscriber

Innocuous front wheel wash out lead to me hitting a rock with my knee and cutting a nice big flap of skin out with a good amount of blood for show. A couple of hours at the non-critical NHS place saw me patched up and provided with a stock of dressings as I was off to Italy for the week for work the next day, along with various antibiotics and so on ‘just in case’. Wasn’t great having all that under a suit in the heat but the NHS were great I have to say.

bigdaddy

I managed to come up short on a jump, causing a broken leg, 6 weeks before my first child was born. That was an interesting phone call to make from the hospital – hello dear, I know you’re nearly 8 months pregnant, but please could you come and pick me up from hospital as I have a broken leg from being a tit on my bike…

I got more abuse from the theatre nurses during the birth for being irresponsible as it ended up being an emergency caesarean, with me in theatre scrubs, a leg in a cast and walking on crutches… Amusing times – oh how we laughed…

Frankenstein

Hit by car on my way to Rome via Heathrow.

I was buying sunscreen.

Guy arguing with his wife failed to see stationary traffic.

Wrote my car off, tore my traps and I still went carrying my other half’s luggage.

Glad it wasn’t a sporting holiday phew.

scruff9252

Got a bite last year on my foot, scratched and opened the wound which got infected.

After hobbling around on a club foot for a week I eventually take myself off to the Dr’s, a few days before my holiday to get it fixed.

The doctor was more than a little concerned about what was by then a seriously infected foot, especially as my holiday was a solo sail around some of the remote crinkly bits of Scotland with no satellite phone & expected poor phone cover.

Jamie

Got a bite last year on my foot, scratched and opened the wound which got infected.

After hobbling around on a club foot for a week I eventually take myself off to the Dr’s, a few days before my holiday to get it fixed.

The doctor was more than a little concerned about what was by then a seriously infected foot, especially as my holiday was a solo sail around some of the remote crinkly bits of Scotland with no satellite phone & expected poor phone cover.

What the hell? You can’t just stop the story there! What happened to the foot? Did you go on holiday?

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

Pranged my wrist pretty badly jumping off stuff in the town centre early one morning (used to do a lot of hippity hoppity stuff with a few mates)

Had a gig that night and couldn’t hold the plectrum as thumb and forefinger wouldn’t close properly, absolute agony hitting the strings. Resorted to duct tape and alcohol to solve the plectrum and pain problem, the side effects involved falling off stage and pranging my ankle though.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Knackered my shoulder (amongst other things) landing front wheel first on the black run bit at Llandegla a week before Edinburgh Rat Race where I was due to race with a podium hunting team.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Only a minor one – but I pulled a thigh muscle playing touch rugby on Wednesday. 10 days before the QECP Enduro, 17 days before an intended 130 odd mile crossbike thingy with DrP.
    So no training then. Great.

I started a thread for advice, but no-one gives a shit about me πŸ˜₯

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

Food poising the day we went on a ski holiday. Almost shat myself on the plane waiting to get into the toilet. Felt very sorry for the person who had to use the thrown after me. Apologised as I left and who was it, only Blue Peters Katy Hill. That beautiful smile of hers quicky vanished. 😳

Broke my arm the day before a ski holiday. Skiing in a plaster cast is still just as much fun.

Rscott

Ended up getting shoulder surgery the day i was offered a promotion at work, 10 weeks later and Im still off work and got another 6 weeks to go.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

I crashed last sunday, smashed my ribs and my knee, won’t be able to cycle for a few weeks.

Was ment to be starting my holiday today πŸ™ Had to cancel them. πŸ™ I’ll re-book for the end of next month.

Weather’s looking decent this week as well for a highland and island cycle camping tour.

gutted, to say the least!

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

I guess if falling off my bike in a motel car park in St. George Utah just before we were to set off on a 5 day supported trip to Brian Head and dislocating my finger which wouldn’t reseat thus necessitating a trip to the ER/OR constitutes Inopportune then, yeah, that…. 😳

I was officially the shortest Western Spirit trip ever! Didn’t even get out of the rendezvous car park. I still sometimes get called CP by my mate…. funny that.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

I dislocated my jaw playing football a long time ago and now it sort of pops out every now & then.

First time it happened I was in the middle of, err, something “romantic” with a new girlfriend

Great posts above, everyone – all the way right down to aracer’s πŸ˜‰

tang

nice work sandwich. Broke my wrist on the first good run of june weather. week later i was supposed to be trail building for mayhem. got another job managing the site office instead. Did that well enough to be given the same role next year, 5 days in a portacabin, not in the woods.

scruff9252

What the hell? You can’t just stop the story there! What happened to the foot? Did you go on holiday

Aye, was grand in the end. The Dr gave me a carrier bag of dressings, ointments, pills and lotions. She also drew around on me with a permi marker with strict instructions if the redness & swelling was to spread past this point to get my self to a dr / hospital sharpish.

Luckily it all healed up fairly fast with the treatment. Yet another fantastic example of our NHS, they really are fantastic.

Had a cracking holiday in the end too; Islay, Colonsay, Oronsay, Tiree, Mull, Gigha… couple of weeks of adventure, sun, sailing & whisky.

This time next week I’m off away again, this time further north for a few weeks. Hoping for St Kilda and the Outer Hebrides if I’m lucky.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Following on from Eightyeight breaking his arm with a stag do and wedding on the horizon (see Monday Night Pub Ride thread for details) what is the best/worst you have done to yourself when you should be at home wrapped in cotton wool?

I rode through something poisonous 2 days before my holiday a few years back. The plant in question looked like rhubarb but left me covered in puss weeping blisters on my legs arms and face. Sat by the pool in Malta, at a hotel full of teenage Italian girls on a language course, I looked like this.

Fortunately for me the rider immediately behind happened to be my wife… so she looked like she’d been too close to the reactor also.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Isotonic cake wrote:

She also drew around on me with a permi marker with strict instructions if the redness & swelling was to spread past this point to get my self to a dr / hospital sharpish.

So she said. I think you’ll find that was the cut line for when they amputated πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Oh, and back to eightyeight’s arm, I once broke the best man’s leg on a stag do 😳

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

Mashed the end of my collar bone into about 5-6 pieces. After pinning and getting all the ligaments put back together, we went on our 2week summer holiday, including taking our niece and nephew. Mrs did all the driving, cooking, shopping etc.. She wasn’t best pleased.

Pigface

Mate of mine missed the Italian I.S.D.E by breaking his collarbone two days before they were meant to leave. Did he do it doing some last minute practicing, did he heck he was riding up a farm track to tell his dad that lunch was ready and noticed some pigeons in a field that he could take the gun to. Next thing he knew was his dad asking him if he was alright πŸ˜† Welsh Team manager not best pleased πŸ˜†

fasthaggis

Is there ever a time when it’s not an inopportune moment?

Usually just before a holiday is the norm πŸ™

Mate of mine missed the Italian I.S.D.E by breaking his collarbone two days before they were meant to leave

Piggy
    Was that San Pellegrino ?

My mate and I rode down to watch that,great event πŸ™‚

Pigface

fasthaggis Yes I think it was, he was gutted it was his only injury after 20 years on dirtbikes which included multiple Welsh Championships and 2nd in British Championships πŸ˜†

hjghg5

Whereas I managed to injure myself at a relatively good time – I broke my ankle on the way to the airport to come home from holiday. Which meant I had to relax in the sun for a few days longer while my insurance company got me a replacement flight.

globalti

The evening before we bought a new house I managed to crash while riding down some shallow steps, smashing into an iron stanchion, narrowly avoiding a broken collarbone and bruising my shoulder so badly I couldn’t move my arm. The following morning we got the keys and set about pulling down ceilings and partitions – all one-handed in my case. Not good.

Premier Icon tomcrow99
    Subscriber

Three weeks before a white water paddling trip to California, I had a major off and broke my collarbone on the red at GT. Absolutely gutted… Now with kids so will will prob never get another chance to go back.

Premier Icon nach
    Subscriber

Just after signing up for a half marathon, I fell down a single step, hyper-extending my right foot and obliterating most of the ligaments either side of the ankle.

Weirdly, everything around the achilles and at the front was intact, so the hospital said crutches would be bad for it and I’d just have to get around on it until I could walk normally again. It took six months of hobbling, but healed just in time for me to put two weeks of training in and run.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

hjghg5 – Member

Whereas I managed to injure myself at a relatively good time – I broke my ankle on the way to the airport to come home from holiday

I didn’t get the extra days of holiday out of it, but it was nice to find that after I fell off a minor precipice in the pyrenees and dinged up basically every part of my body, I only had to ride about a hundred yards to the bottom of the final descent of the week πŸ˜†

hexhamstu

went to whistler for a year, first day in the bike park, third run down the hill, broke my collarbone.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

A good mate of mine was getting married. He lived on Arran, and was marrying and moving back to mainland.

One. Last. Bike. Ride. was needed.

Cue broken collar bone, two days before wedding.

I as best man had to keep him prepped up on pain killers all wedding day.

I gather the honeymoon was ‘challenging’ at times πŸ˜‰

bol

I’ve had a few over the years.

I broke my collar bone dicking about in the woods two days before a long awaited family holiday to Disneyland. They went without me.

I fell off my car (yep) and badly sprained my ankle a few days before Dusk Till Dawn, rendering myself unable to walk much or ride at all.

I went OTB on the off-road section of my commute to work on the day I had to go and make an urgent presentation to our Board. Went in looking and feeling a bit like the OP’s pic. It didn’t go well.

Hoping that stupid accidents come in threes and I’m now off the hook for a while.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

2 days before a job interview I decided it was a good idea to get my little brother to break a guitar, using my face as an anvil. Great success apart from the harry potter lightning bolt shaped gouge on my forehead.

Got the job. Wasn’t that surprised when it turned out not to be a dream job πŸ˜†

jamiep

Broke fingers/hand/wrist the day before a snowboarding holiday. Had to cancel.

Had a second booked three weeks later which I went on – hid the cast at the airport just in case and wore a massive mit on that hand while riding

edlong

A friend of my son’s at school, getting ready to go off on an outdoors pursuit type residential, whole year group going, much anticipation and excitement, steps off the kerb to board the coach, somehow breaks ankle…

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

I went one louder.

Crashed into the soon-to-be wife whilst on a Trail Quest. Locked bikes together, over at 20mph onto a gravelly track, me using her as a brake.

2 weeks before our wedding.

Her legs were a mess and she didn’t speak to me for about a week.

Still got married and second on the race though πŸ™‚

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Moving house 7 years ago. I picked up the TV stand and tilted on its side to make it easier to carry. Unknown to me the shelf in the middle just rested on dowels rather than being attached. The shelf slid out and landed on my big toe, breaking it in the process.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Injuring yourself at an inopportune moment.’ is closed to new replies.