Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Injured Rider – please read this.
  • DrP

All things working out, I’m planning on heading away from Worthing ‘some time’ on Saturday am, and riding westward to meet this rabble! Will then ride back along the SDW with them for a bit…

Not sure how far I’ll go but let’s cross fingers for sunshine!

DrP

TimP
    Free Member

Not sure we will get sunshine, but it looks like we have wind

wwaswas

It wasn’t all smiles by the end but huge sense of achievement as most of us had never ridden the SDW before.

Bikes ranged from a 170mm travel FS to a rigid hard tail finish times from 12 to 18 hours.

Was a tad blowy and while a 40mph tail wind is useful it’s not great when it’s a side wind on a fast descent or a headwind on a climb.

So, 1400 miles ridden by #teamcortado in a day for Chris.

If you haven’t already please use the link at the top to donate some money for mobility solutions for Chris.

witterings
    Free Member

Not sure if you’re in touch with him directly but if he may want to take a look at Canine Partners, having been on hold for a while I believe they’ve very recently opened up their waiting list.

I’ve helped this charity on a voluntary basis for 2 1/2 years and have 1st hand seen the huge difference it can make to someone’s life not only from a physical but also an emotionally supportive perspective.

Homepage

Absolutely incredible animals!!

Wishing Chris all the very best for the future.

wwaswas

Thank you witterings – I’ll pass it onto Chris. He’s not returned home from the rehabilitation unit yet so I think this would be very much a long term thing if he were to look at it but as a dog owner I understand the emotional comfort owning one can bring and I can see how one might be of practical help too.

witterings
    Free Member

No problem … the waiting list though is a long time, if it was something he may consider in the future it’d be worth at least going on the list … he can always withdraw down the line.

wwaswas

So close!

justgiving almost at target

wwaswas

It’s been a while since I updated this thread.

Having lived in a local hotel for 3 months while his home was adapted (lifts, wet room etc) Chris moved home about 3 weeks ago.

He’s gradually learning to live with his condition both physically and mentally.

He didn’t want to rush into any decisions on mobility products before he really understood what he could and couldn’t do, how his house worked for him and also what he needed to get around the city.

He’s now reached a decision and purchased a Batek adapter and a custom wheelchair (with two sets of carbon wheels – one with road tyres, one off road (Maxxis as that’s his favourite brand!)).

Batek Wheelchair adapter

This gives him good mobility around the hilly city we live in but also allows him to have a much smaller ‘footprint’ at home and when visiting places without having to transfer between chairs. The off-road capability is also important to Chris – he loves the countryside and woodland and regaining access to it was one of his main goals with this purchase.

So how did we do on fundraising in the end?

Film & Raffle night we ran locally – £270
    TeeMill – £352
    JustGiving £8856 – balance after their fees

In total £9478!

Thank you so much to everyone who contributed for Chris – it’s been so much more than we ever imagined (I set a £2.5k target to start with and thought that was wildly ambitious!).

wwaswas

To confirm, this is the model he went for;

The design of the new BATEC SCRAMBLER responds to the demand from our users who want to go one step further in their off-road adventures.

Manufactured in a exclusive olive green matte colour, it includes the latest Batec handbike technology with features such as reverse gear and an all-in-one LCD screen. With a 19″ wheel ultra wide, a 1400-lumen double front light and a stand frame with suspension, the BATEC SCRAMBLER also has a 1200 w motor and a exclusive 678 Wh – 48 V battery(*) for this reaches a maximum speed of 30 km/h.

https://batec-mobility.com/en/blog/handbikes/1172-batec-scrambler-the-most-off-road-handbike

wwaswas

Final update on the fund raising:

Chris recently took delivery of a Batek Electric wheelchair. This gives him independence around the hilly streets of Brighton, the ability to travel on or off road and a range of 50km. Thank you again to everyone who contributed to our fundraising and have helped us reach the goal that allowed Chris to have the ‘chair of his choice.

bearnecessities

Well done 🙂

couchy
    Free Member

Great to see, known Chris a few years from motorbike Trackdays good to see him out and about again at last 👍

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.