Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • inguanal hernia
  • mav12
    Free Member

anyone had a repair op for one, how long before you were back on the bike

JAG

Had an ‘ordinary’ Hernia repair about 25 years ago.

It took 1-2 weeks before I could get out of a chair unaided and I wouldn’t have ridden a bike for at least 4 weeks.

I remember it being painful to do anything except sit in a chair or lie in bed. However these days it’s probably a much smaller incision and a much faster recovery.

So I wouldn’t rely on my experience too much 🙂

andyrm
    Free Member

Yup – had a double repair, open surgery with mesh in November. Was walking inside a week, walking to work by 3 weeks and gently on the MTB at 6 weeks. Now fully recovered and getting up to speed pretty quickly. I’m 40.

scaredypants

I had an open mesh repair in early December.  2 week sick note and straight back into (desk job) work after that

Recovery went fine … ish

They divided a nerve which left me with a numb patch south of the incision (no big deal but more weird than I expected – they had told me they might do this)

The wound didn’t heal fully for a couple of months.  I assume that’s more to do with “me” than the procedure but I don’t think it helped that my trouser waistband was directly over the end that didn’t heal and seemed to rub a bit (trackies FTW, in retrospect)

I reckon I could’ve been gently on the bike after 2-3 wks but they told me NO strenuous exercise (“lifting more than a full kettle”) for 4 weeks and by then I was trying to get the wound to heal so I ended up off it for 8wk or so

sillysilly
    Free Member

Had keyhole inguinal over xmas a while back, they recommended light home trainer cycling to recover after a few weeks. Was a little cautious, ramping up little by little but doing all day downhill in the Alps by early summer. Be careful in 1st few weeks, stock up on prunes, veg and watch the diet during recovery. Listen to docs and make sure you take the time off work. Good luck!

paul4stones

Keyhole mesh repair about 10 years ago. Was advised to walk half a mile the first day after, which I did feeling like a 90 year old (I imagine), then to build up to walking 2 miles by the end of the week. After that I could lift anything, run cycle etc if I wanted. I think I cycled 25 miles with my 8yr old at 10 days then walked up Pen-y-gent with him the day after. Probably about 3 weeks until I could run comfortably.

mav12
    Free Member

ok cheers all

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘inguanal hernia’ is closed to new replies.