• This topic has 34 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by RichT.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Ingenious ways of carrying water on an Orange
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Come on then, some of you Orange owners must have bodged up various ways of carrying water on the bike (other than 2019 onwards using the under downtube bosses – mine’s a 2018…). Photos please!

tenfoot

" alt="Fidlock" />

I carry a Fidlock on my four, but if you have an alpine, for instance, that set up wouldn’t fit (or so I’ve been told)

jimmy748

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richmtb

Shirley you get get a couple of litres in the swingarm, rig up a Camelbak hose to it.

Rickos
    Free Member

Thank you tenfoot. Mine’s a 2018 Orange Five in medium and I was wondering if the Fidlock idea would work. Have you simply zip-tied the Fidlock ‘bosses’ to the top tube? Looks like yours is a large too, so I’ll have to check available space.

nickjb
    Free Member

I really couldn’t get it to work on my medium so I use a bum bag with space for two bottles.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’m sure I’ve seen that fidlock on a large or extra large alpine or stage 6.
    Cardboard cutout to check clearance?

stwhannah
    Phil_H

Cable tied a specialized zee cage to the down tube of my alpine 6 mk1. Camelback dirt series bottle keeps the shite ingestion to a minimum.

pothead
    Free Member

YT do a custom 600ml fidlock bottle for the Jeffsy, more of a flat rectangular shape than round and designed to fit in a tight space. No idea if it would work on an Orange (mounted to the top tube as in pic above) or even if you can buy one without the bike but worth a look. Not cheap either

tenfoot

Thank you tenfoot. Mine’s a 2018 Orange Five in medium and I was wondering if the Fidlock idea would work. Have you simply zip-tied the Fidlock ‘bosses’ to the top tube? Looks like yours is a large too, so I’ll have to check available space.

It came with some straps but they looked crap, so I just used zip-ties. I’ve had no problems with the base moving around or the bottle falling out.

Yes, it is a large frame, as you say.

molgrips
    Free Member

I just wear a camelback. Amazes me how something that everyone used years ago is now so unpalatable. I feel there should be a word for this….

dyna-ti

Are seat mounted bottles still available ? …..goes off to google….
    yup, and was the profile design i thought it was, though whether thats still available 😕

And a spot for the currently popular compressed air thingy.

tjagain

I just wear a camelback. Amazes me how something that everyone used years ago is now so unpalatable. I feel there should be a word for this….

There is – fashion 🙂 I was miles ahead of the curve as usual

ffati
    Free Member

https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/hydraulics-500ml-softflask

One of these in a pocket enough water for a few hours and are pretty tough haven’t burst it in numerous crashes

zippykona

Get yourself a plastic chopping board. Cut it to a crud catcher shape. Bolt 2 bottle cages to it. Cable tie to frame and you can easily carry 2 litres of water on your bike.
    null

moonsaballoon

When I had a bird aeris I used an sks anywhere cage on the top tube  , it worked pretty well and never got in the way . The straps alone weren’t quite enough though so I put some cable ties over them for a bit of extra security .

fettlin

Fidlock on an Orange Four lrg, although it’s not on the bike any more. The do a mount with built in rubber straps for an adjustable one size fits all job. Pretty secure, and I could fit a large fidlock bottle in there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Buy5L_wFX8A/?igshid=1ntql183f6ptx

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dakine backpack.

What Molgrips said.

tenfoot

I’ve got a backpack too, but sometimes it’s nice to go out and not have a sweaty back.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Round of applause please for @jimmy748 please . Major LOL!

brads
    Free Member

Waist pack with a water bottle in it. Simple really.

If you want it back mounted then USWE ranger 9 or Osprey.

Bugger mounting it on the bike. OK on the roadie but gash on the mountain bike.

jimmy748

Serious answer, Dakine Hotlaps 2L, I’ve been using mine just over a year, so much better than a camelback.

molgrips
    Free Member

Small thin camelbacks are available, they don’t have to be monster rucksack jobs.

jamesoz

On a Saracen Aerial of 2015 vintage, I use a frame bag and you can squeeze a 500ml bottle of mineral water inside.
    By the looks of the Orange, you could do exactly the same.

orangepaul
    Free Member

Another one for a fidlock (Orange Four) works well

chakaping
    Free Member

I prefer to wear a fanny pack, rather than spoil the graceful lines of my Orange MTB frames.

But if I had to, I’d probably go for a similar solution to tenfoot, but perhaps with the bottle on top of the top tube.

Round of applause please for @jimmy748 please . Major LOL!

Easily pleased. Slight smirk at the most here.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

I’d probably go with a clipped in style saddle pack with bottle inside (keeps it clean), or if you want the weight lower then a seatpost clamp bottle cage (might have to rig up a mini integral mudguard to protect from back wheel filth).

Or top tube (upward facing) if the constant sight of the bottle doesn’t bother you (easy access though).

DrP

@zippykona ‘s picture up there has cheered me up a treat!

Please tell me
    a:that’s not your bike/photo
    b:that’s not serious?!!!

There was a pinkbike poll asking if the ability to carry a water bottle was high up on your list of importance when choosing a frame… reasons here as to why it SHOULD be!!!

DrP

asbrooks

A mate has a had a small bag made that fits in the front triangle in front of the shock mount. He squeezes a bladder in there. Have on idea on how much water it allows him to carry but he prefers it to using a backpack.

igm

Route all rides via pubs. Problem sorted.

zippykona

@DrP yes that was my bike and it worked a treat. Didn’t notice the weight being there.
    The perfect solution.
    Would also work for bikes with frame bags.

Olly
    Free Member

i came up with a neat design of a piece of plastic that bolts into the triangular brace that holds the front end of the shock, and allows a water bottle to be secured in the frame (while not being ziptied to a round tube). But then i went and bought a Fanny pack instead following a good review on here iirc (or maybe Pink Bike).

Camel back podium it is, its good.

tall_martin

Xl orange segment with an Alpkit frame bag containing a platapus 2L bladder. It fitted some snacks and a pump as well.

Alpkit do custom size bags, and three sizes of frame bag. I think that was the medium.

Bottle cage bodged onto my g13

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Ingenious ways of carrying water on an Orange’ is closed to new replies.