Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Infuriating punctures
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

This one, a ghost thorn, is doing my nut in: three new tubes and one other, all punctured. I have scoured the tyre looking for the thorn to no avail. Fifth attempt is underway. I’ll check the tyre in the night during one of my episodes of insomnia to see if it’s still up. Gah!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Checked the rim strip? I had one where a something moved/rubbed leaving a sharp edge inside – 2 layers of insulation tape fixed it.

downhilldave

The joys of running tubeless – one less thing to worry about

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JoeG
    Free Member

That is why some people line up their tire logo with the valve stem. Once you find the leak on the tube, you then know where on the tire (or wheel) to look for whatever caused the leak. Even if you forget which way you had the tube installed, you’re still only looking in 2 locations, not over the whole tire.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No we line the tyres up because it’s the right way to do things

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

And….. It’s flat again. Yeah I do the line up thing too.

tarquin
    Free Member

Run a soft cloth around the rim and the tyre, if it snags then might point to a sharp spot?

Scapegoat

My lad’s tyres once kept puncturing when we were in France, despite what I thought was a through sweep for thorns. It seems he had run over some bloody French vegetation that injected about a million tiny hair sized thorns all the way through his Minions, which I had to sit and remove using a pair of tweezers.

Mark where on the tyre you’re getting the punctures from, then turn it inside out, stretch the rubber as much as you can and drag a soft cloth or your fingers across the area. You may even have to search inch by square inch, in good light with a magnifying glass. As I discovered, they don’t have to be big or particularly visible to puncture.

Then go tubeless.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Wash it all out with soapy water and a scrubbing brush on the rim and inside the tyre, then rinse with a hose.

wwaswas

I’d also check for stealth thorns. They sit inside the body of the tyre and only poke through into a tube when you put weight and pressure on it.

As above – isolate where on the rim/tyre the problem is and do a close inspection for burrs on the rim and look at the outside of the tyre for any embedded foreign bodies.

FuzzyWuzzy

Should be simple to check if it’s the rim strip or not just by where about’s on the tube it’s getting punctured. If it’s on the outer edge then take the tyre off and fold it back on itself in case the cut with the thorn/glass in it seals itself when its the right way around

elzorillo
    Free Member

Punctures !!!!

Three of us out the other night.. seven punctures before we ran out of tubes/patches and called for a van.. bloody hawthorn !!!

druidh
    Free Member

Do you not patch the tubes? If not, do you bother looking to see where each tube is punctured?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Infuriating punctures’ is closed to new replies.