Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • InfoSec bods – advice please
  • willard

I’ve just checked my e-mail and seen that, whilst I was out walking the dogs, I apparently joined Facebook. The authorisation request e-mail came in at 1905 and the “welcome to Facebook” e-mail came in at 1915.

As soon as I saw these I got onto Facebook to disable the account and rolled my Gmail account password to something even stronger. I only access the account from five machines (two iOS, one Mac, one Linux and one Win7x64) and the password was pretty damn strong. Mac shows no excessive open TCP connections and the two iOS devices are stock and reasonably secure. I need to check the Linux machine yet, but the Win7 box has corporate AV and the stock Windows tools on, so is still decently strong.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? Anything else I should be doing?

manmurray

Won’t necessarily help track down suspicious behaviour on your machines, but you can get a bit of account history by logging into gmail and looking at the bottom of the screen for “Last account activity: xx hours ago”. Clicking details might show something out of the ordinary/worth reporting. Will also let you force end sessions that aren’t yours, if any still exist (though IIRC your password change should have done the same).

julians
    Free Member

more likely to be fake/spoof emails I would imagine, trying to tempt you to click a link in them which takes you to a fake website, where you then ‘login’ and tell the faker/spoofer what your real login details are.

nach
    Free Member

Lock everything else down with substantially different, new passwords and, if possible, two-factor auth.

It might be nothing, or it might be someone fishing around with the aim of progressing onto faking other bits of your identity. A facebook profile in your name would be ideal to fish for info from relatives, friends, etc.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

This isn’t uncommon . My old account said that I regularly used it from London . I live nowhere near , it’s something to do with masts so my learned friend informed me . I have nothing to do with the poison that is social networking . Far too much space for Chinese whispers and inaccuracies .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘InfoSec bods – advice please’ is closed to new replies.