Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Informal chat with a director as last stage of interview process, any advice?
  • yamyamblade
    Free Member

Just heard that after two rounds of interviews I am through to the last phase which is to meet the director for an informal chat in a pub?

I was the only candidate put forward for the second phase so if anyone been in this situation I’m looking for any advice to make sure I don’t mess things up…

theotherjonv

by the sounds of it it will be to check ‘fit’ – are you the kind of person who he feels will fit in with his team.

Advice – be yourself, don’t try and act a part. If you don’t fit with the team you won’t be happy / succeed anyway, better to find out now than in a year’s time.

(equally, if your usual trip to a pub involves rounds of shots followed by a fight, maybe don’t entirely be yourself)

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Depends on what the role is, but be yourself and don’t get shitfaced,

Cougar

Don’t.
    Get.
    Pissed.

Wait to see what (s)he orders (offer to buy him a drink?) before buying alcohol. If (s)he puts you on the spot, order a diet Coke or something.

bearnecessities

He fancies you. Stay alert.

Cletus

Look him up on LinkedIn and see if you have any interests in common. Hopefully he is an MTBer.

Check out what type of director he is – if financial make sure you can discuss the basics of what keeps him awake at night.

Do a bit of research on the company and its market and be able to talk about what is trending atm.

Do not drink more than one alcoholic drink if you are driving (and keep it under control even if you are not).

Appear personable and do not get into anything controversial – at this stage they want you to succeed.

Good luck.

legend
    Free Member

American company by any chance? Only time I’ve hard of this the job is really already done, by I suppose you could mess it up by getting royally ****

deadkenny
    Free Member

Weird one I had was job offered and accepted, contracts signed, and then the CEO wanted to do the informal chat (a fair trip across the country to do it also). Was mostly laying down his weird rules rather than getting to know me.

Been one place also where pub lunch booze is forbidden as company policy, even if it’s just you and colleagues out for lunch. They could be testing to see if you’re a boozy type 😉

Question is whether they think that’s a good thing or bad 😀

scotroutes

Drive to the interview and use that as an excuse to avoid alcohol

br
    Free Member

Wait to see what (s)he orders (offer to buy him a drink?) before buying alcohol. If (s)he puts you on the spot, order a diet Coke or something. [/I]

Years ago I had a Director who did the same, one time a candidate asked me what should he do, so I just said be yourself.

He ordered a pint (which was fine) and a whisky chaser…

He did get the job, but I also discovered about a year in that he was a raving alcoholic – so he was given to me to manage, as I have a particularly handy approach to managing ‘difficult’ characters.

He also spoke about a dozen languages and would never fly anywhere, so would spend his weekends traveling by train across Europe (I used him mainly in the East).

RIP Big Mac

tomd
    Free Member

I had this for a job. It was Ok, it was basically a relatively informal chat about the company and role to make sure it was a good fit (I probably asked him more questions than vice versa). Also covered benefits as ultimately it was his budget.

Doing a lot of research into the company paid off, I was able to ask about some stuff that I was concerned about and I guess it made me seem like I was serious. He was the budget holder for the role, so also had a frank discussion about that so worth getting your head clear on that.

legend
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Drive to the interview and use that as an excuse to avoid alcohol

Not wanting to be part of the team, huh? 😉

ebennett

Sounds like it’s a fit check to see if you get along or either of you find the other one unbearable. All you can really do is be yourself and DON’T GET DRUNK! Being able to discuss the company/market knowledgeably would also be useful, but presumably you can do that already if you’ve got to this stage.

onandon
    Free Member

Don’t think it’s a done deal. Lots of People relax at this stage and fail.
    Usually this stage is just the director level approval as ultimately you’ll be within his organisational structure and it’s good if you all get along. Not essential but handy.

Treat it like any other interview. Look at LinkedIn and see what that drags up.

Good luck.

theteaboy
    Free Member

If it’s a customer-facing role it might also be about how you would represent the company and brand. I’d expect they’d want someone professional but personal too as you might need to build good relationships with people in and outside the business.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

1. No such thing as an informal chat. This is the most important interview of all
    2. You do not need to be in sales mode – you have passed that test already
    3. This is about how you would fit in the team and its culture

Great to get to this stage. Good luck.

jimmy

Have 3 or 4 pints, relax into it, offer him/her a lift back and invite yourself in for coffee.

dovebiker

Directors generally don’t take time out of diaries to pop-out for lunchtime chats with everyone that applies for a job – at this stage I’d suggest it’s your job to lose.

You might be the ‘only’ external candidate – there may be internal ones? Ask if not clear.

Do you research on both the Company and interviewer (linked-in).

Expect to be asked questions about reward expectations – this is the one time you could have the upper-hand in negotiations.

This is a business meeting not a social (don’t get pissed, unless they’re an ar$e – so what the heck 😈

Cougar

Been one place also where pub lunch booze is forbidden as company policy, even if it’s just you and colleagues out for lunch. They could be testing to see if you’re a boozy type

This is where I was coming from; the counterpoint is that they may equally well think that a lemonade-drinking ponce won’t fit with their “business culture” of a three hour liquid lunch every Friday.

The “driving” excuse is a great idea, covers both bases. Do that.

lunge

We do this, it makes people relax and you can see the “real” person not the interview persona. We also use it to see how people interact in a more social setting which is important for the work I do. Works a treat too, you find a lot out about people this way.

First up, this is still interview process. Prepare for it as an interview, treat it as an interview, behave like it’s an interview. By all means take the conversation a little more off track but remember you are still being judged.

Mimic what they’re drinking (and eating), if they have a mineral water and a sandwich don’t order a pint and a steak. Don’t get drunk, you want to be a minimum of 2 drink behind the interviewer and I’d be reluctant to have more than 2 drinks unless it was some kind of planned session (and even then I’d be very, very careful).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Look him up on LinkedIn

carefully, or he will see that you did

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Get the first round of strippers, offer to take the rap for the plate galss window

onandon
    Free Member

And ? I’d be more concerned if someone was meeting me and didn’t take a look at my profile.

poolman
    Free Member

Yes as all above say avoid alcohol. I had an interview ages ago with an ad agency in Fulham on the river. It was after work, office had a bar, me and 2 interviewers had loads to drink…big mistake, I am the worst drinker in the world.

Unbelievably I was offered the job but I wasn’t interested. Interesting experience though. Good luck btw

DezB
    Free Member

Directors generally don’t take time out of diaries to pop-out for lunchtime chats

Hmm, you obviously don’t work for somewhere like my previous company. They did f-all else!

wilburt
    Free Member

IME directors of small to medium companies allow themselves freedoms others wouldn’t have.

I was in your situation while ago and the fella said “great I think your going to fit in well etc, I’m better go and sack someone to make space for you”

Needless to say I didn’t accept.

nedrapier

You could think of it as an interview for the next promotion opportunity, whenever that might be.

You’re unlikely to “fail”, as your immediate boss has already determined that you can do the job and is happy to employ you. You’ve now got the opportunity to leave him with the impression that you’ll probably be fine or leave him thinking “Hmm – he’s impressive – one to watch!”

Look him up on LinkedIn

Who wouldn’t do a little research on the person they’re having an important meeting with? Hardly a black mark – you’re looking at his professional profile, that he’s published in order to be read, not hacking into his private emails or fb account.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Thanks everyone all really hopeful, well the majority anyway !

I’ve done my research but will ensure I have a few questions around company strategy for the next year etc

Thanks again

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Every job I’ve had has started off with this format but usually it’s going for a coffee. It is strange to do this after formal interviews but it’s probably more to make sure you will fit in to the team, particularly if it’s a small one but equally it could be there are a couple of you they are keen on but can’t make that final decision.

It’s still an interview so as others have said treat it as such and be prepared, have some good questions to ask the person too as it’ll show them you are interested in the company and job and not just the pay check, perks etc.

The most important thing is be yourself and relax, don’t get hung up on the fact it’s a director.

Oh and good luck.

Vader
    Free Member

I once got a job on the basis that the first choice candidate blew it at the final ‘informal chat’ stage. I was delighted of course but it just goes to show that it’s not over till the fat lady posts out your contract.

IME the background research homework is essential.

Xylene
    Free Member

Look him straight in the yes and ask him if he likes coke and hookers.

Pigface
    Free Member

hoof him in the slats, just so he knows you’re the daddy.

Just be yourself, interested and polite.

blurty

Think of this as your opportunity to interview him/ her/ the company.

Are you they right for you?

dashed
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    Look him up on LinkedIn

I don’t see how this is a problem, but you could always set the anonymous viewing mode on linkedin and they wouldn’t be able to see who it was who had viewed their profile….

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Thought you would be asking him if he pisses in the sink when on aircraft?

jeffl

If you’re going for a relitavely senior position, which I assume you are if having an informal chat with the director, then I’d suggest having a look at the companies financials. Not a bad habit of getting into to see how a company is doing. Nothing OTT but simple stuff such as share price and anouncements to the market, if listed. Also look at their returns filed at Companies House. May cost a couple of quid but useful.

Asking queries around this shows that’ you’ve got half a brain and also allows you to gauge them on their responses. I’d expect anyone at Director level to have half an idea on the companies financials and be able to discuss them to a reasonabl level of detail.

edlong
    Free Member

First reply on the the thread covered it for me really:

Advice – be yourself, don’t try and act a part. If you don’t fit with the team you won’t be happy / succeed anyway, better to find out now than in a year’s time.

I’d be cautious about Jeff’s suggestion re. the financials, unless you know your way round a set of accounts. If you’re a highly qualified accountant meeting the FD then, yes, talk about liquidity by all means but if you don’t know your quick ratio from your creditor days you could end up looking like a bullshitter.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Who wouldn’t do a little research on the person they’re having an important meeting with? Hardly a black mark – you’re looking at his professional profile, that he’s published in order to be read, not hacking into his private emails or fb account.

Fine, go ahead then. Look him up and let him know that you are doing so.

woffle
    Free Member

Fine, go ahead then. Look him up and let him know that you are doing so.

There’s ways and means to stop them from knowing but TBH I’d rather expect candidates to be doing their research. I know when I last moved jobs I certainly spent a great deal of time trying to find out as much as possible about the people and the company…

Xylene
    Free Member

Thought you would be asking him if he pisses in the sink when on aircraft?

That is on the second date.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Informal chat with a director as last stage of interview process, any advice?’ is closed to new replies.