Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Inflatable kayaks, first time, 7deg C. What’s the worst that could happen?
  • Poopscoop

Out tomorrow on the Medway.

Life preservers obvs. Dry bags for extra clothes. Just a test really. My lad and I have wanted one for ages but all sold out last year. One of these each. In estuary, so no licence needed yet.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/inflatable-touring-kayak-1-place-yellow/_/R-p-163731

I can’t crash a kayak. Possibly.

Pieface

As long as there’s no strong winds / currents or tides I expect you’ll get very cold hands

jam-bo

It’ll be fine, until it isn’t..

cold winds tomorrow. Cold water. Recipe for getting cold fast and that’s without going in the water.

what you wearing to keep the wind/spray off?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simondbarnes

Swept out to sea and you both die?

winston
    Free Member

You’ii be fine if you take care.

Take woolly hats and gloves, even if its just your mtb full finger gloves. PFD’s (‘life preserver’) need to fit properly just like a helmet does. Plenty of warm clothes in the car and a warm fleece each in the drybag.

Getting in and out will be the time you most likely fall in so take care doing that, especially for the first time.

Medway has locks so just be mindful of currents near them and always pull in to the bank well before a lock. The Medaway has canoe shoots but don’t use them in an infltable as they often have bits of metal sticking up which will shred your kayak.

Kids love kayaking – have fun!

dovebiker

Check the state / time of the tides and winds – get on the wrong side of each and you may struggle to make much headway. Best to stick to slack water / sheltered spots whilst you get the hang of it. If you haven’t paddled much, you may find your arms will tire quickly – a proper paddle stroke is down upper body rotation with relatively little arm movement.

wheelsonfire1

I’ve had experience of a two person inflatable canoe/kayak on the sea and lakes, bought to carry in the motorhome. As a fibreglass paddler in my youth and quite experienced it was a strange transition. Much harder work as the wind affects you more but once you get adapted, great fun and I even used it in North Wales heavy seas with no problems- with the benefit of a unique view of Snowdon! Have fun!!

Poopscoop

Genuine thanks for all the hints and tips and all duly noted.

My lad is 23 and a dad himself now so I’ll be making sure we stay very,very safe and warm.

matt_outandabout

There’s some good advice above.

It’s easy with paddling to not know what you don’t know.

Can you climb back in, while in deepwater?
    Can you make headway into the wind, and understand how to trim it to keep the bow into wind/on target?
    How much energy will it take to paddle back to shore, when you’re cold from a unexpected dunk?

Think these things through before you go…

That said, paddling is a wonderful sport, and leads us on many adventures.

lesgrandepotato

Read up on cold water shock. Not saying don’t do it. But do be aware.

uwe-r
    Free Member

We have a 2 man inflatable. Used it loads in the sea around North Wales and its lots of fun but the wind does really take it as you sit so high up. I’d go as far as to say you need to look at the map and the wind direction as paddling into the wind for any length of time will be a killer. Downwind on the other hand will be ace.

We did a long stint down the river severn last summer. Something like 25 miles over 4 hours. It was lovely but sitting for that long in one of those things is not recommended. Our legs / backs were done in.

piemonster

Out of curiosity,  what’s the wet exit re-entry technique for an inflatable?

Suppose I could just Google it

Greybeard
    Free Member

Moderate winds tomorrow, so set off into the wind, certainly until you’ve understood how much effect it has, both in terms of speed and steering.

matt_outandabout

Out of curiosity, what’s the wet exit re-entry technique for an inflatable?

Pieface

With regards to clothing, are wetsuits OK? I guess if you’re jumping in and out of the kayak they’re ideal, but if you’re not planning on getting wet are they too hot / restrictive for general paddling?

matt_outandabout

They will be ok – without spending dafty money on a dry suit, a wetsuit is a good compromise if you think you will get wet.

phil5556

@winston – sounds like great advice for the non tidal Medway, but he said estuary which is a whole different beast.

Which bit of the estuary poop scoop? I’m no kayaker but know the Medway so just interested.

dyna-ti

About 300 quid for a drysuit. Gul make. Or I think theres a top you can get with a rubber/neoprene neck and cuffs to prevent water ingress and the material is 100% waterproof so splashes and spray wont make you freeze.

7deg c on land is not going to be 7 deg c offshore, especially if theres any wind whatsoever. It could well be closer to freezing.

Personally, though ive no experience of inflatable kayaking, though plenty of offshore sailing, I’d leave it till the warmer weather comes in. In that event, I’d also,being a novice, go with a larger group, probably with an experienced leader too.
    If anyone goes in and cant get out, the other trying to help might go in too, especially if its a family member, and leave you both in trouble.

Swept out to sea and you both die?

Oh look, sensible advice 😉

The guy in the you tube vid is likely very experienced and is making it look easy. Lets see you try to remember the contents of that vid as a novice and in circumstances of danger.

My only experience of canoeing is in a loch, and when we practiced exiting from a capsize, getting the water out then getting back into it.
    I remember it being very cold and a complete shock to the system. That was close to shore in summer and with an experienced group with 2 leaders, and not everyone in our group managed to get back in without a canoe each side and help. I think a non rigid kayak would just be a bit floppy and have nothing solid enough to get a good hold of.

dero
    Free Member

It’ll be fine, until it isn’t..

cold winds tomorrow. Cold water. Recipe for getting cold fast and that’s without going in the water.

The above is good comment.

Air temperatures around 5c tomorrow with a moderate northerly wind making it feel even colder. If you are in an open estuary (I don’t know Medway at all) and find yourself inadvertently in the water (around 8-9c at this time of year) for any reason and you aren’t wearing 4/5mm wetsuits you will be very cold very quickly and hypothermia won’t be far away.

There will be better and safer days for a first trip out!

dafydd17
    Free Member

Which bit of the estuary are you going to? The Swale is quite a sheltered waterway, with a good launching area near the Kingsferry bridge. If you’re only after a tryout, a paddle along it would be my choice.

harthill
    Free Member

Wetsuits with windproof layer over will be fine. Overtrousers definitely worth taking. Ideally you should try out the new boats and gain confidence somewhere non tidal first. Water temperatures are at their coldest around this time of year so be careful out there!

alanl
    Free Member

The guy in the you tube vid is likely very experienced and is making it look easy.

That’s Ray Godwin, he makes everything in a canoe look easy. He was given an MBE/OBE last year for services to sport. He is probably the best canoeist/Canoe trainer in Britain today.

piemonster

Cheers @matt_outandabout

More of less the same technique as an non inflatable open canoe then, scrabble and kick in from the side.

You ever tried the technique where you set up a piece of rope as a mini step ladder off either end of the boat?

sharkbait
    Free Member

All I’ll say is that it’s going to be a lot colder than you think it will be.

TBH the only way I’d be going on the water ATM is in a dry suit or winter steamer {wetsuit}.

Those who have said that there will be better days for a first outing are right.

db

@piemonster

I have used a climbing sling of the right length to help someone without enough upper body strength to haul themselves in. One foot in the sling to act as a ladder. It sort of worked but their foot did get caught in sling as they came into the boat.

In the post rescue debate the risk is clearly the casualty not getting into the boat and falling backwards now with their ankle caught/attached to the boat. I was trying to bring them into a dry boat which I think I prioritised at the time, these days I would be happier to bring someone into a wet boat (with a lower gunnel).

(note this was a canoe, with an inflatables I think you would struggle to lower a gunnel to scoop up a person)

Joe

The water in the medway isn’t cold enough for cold water shock. I was swimming in there all last week. Not that cold at all.

matt_outandabout

You ever tried the technique where you set up a piece of rope as a mini step ladder off either end of the boat?

Yes I have. My canoes have it permanently hidden under the gunwhale in case. And I once a year practice and all-in – but then I paddle Scottish lochs without safety back up other than ourselves, and even if you did call for help on many lochs there isn’t any rescue service…

As other say, it does increase a risk, but the loop is at least 1m long and open, so minimising such risks in tandem with experience of using them.

We often paddle no more than 25m offshore – any tipping in means a less than 1 minute swim with my 30m swimline in hand…

As above, go and enjoy yourself, but there are some ‘what if?’ scenario’s that are worth thinking through, and an all-in and self-rescue is one of them.

jam-bo

The water in the medway isn’t cold enough for cold water shock. I was swimming in there all last week. Not that cold at all.

yes it is. unless they’ve starting heating it.

Cold Water Shock – Water Safety Tips – Know The Risks (rnli.org)

footflaps

That’s Ray Godwin, he makes everything in a canoe look easy.

What was he doing with the black dry bag before he effortlessly climbed into the canoe?

He did make that look soooo easy though!

big_scot_nanny

I guessed it was a counterweight? but similar question from me. Agree on the effortlessness of the whole thing.

Been a while since I’ve practiced self rescue, really need to do so soon. Good nudge Matt.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Interesting thread. I purchased a inflatable SUP last year and had some brilliant times out on Ullswater etc with my daughter from Early September onwards. We wore PFD’s and wetsuits and were quite happy with our clumsy attempts which resulted in one or both of us in the water on a regular basis. We classed it as getting used to things and learning.

Anyhow, reason for replying. We packed it all up for the winter and decided from a wind, temperature, enjoyment and SAFETY perspective we didnt think it sensible to carry on any longer into the colder months. I am chomping at the bit to get back to it but it just seems too cold and windy. I have the aps to show wind speed and direction etc. I just cant bring myself to go out in these temps and risk it. I have been watching people with similar experience levels able to go all winter with a bit of extra clothing on.

Is it safe? We are ok getting back on the board easily. How bad a sitution is the two of us falling off the board, getting back on and trying to stay warm?

footflaps

I guessed it was a counterweight?

Looked empty, bar a bit of air. I thought he was going to use it as a step, he then swam round the other side…..

matt_outandabout

Is it safe? We are ok getting back on the board easily. How bad a sitution is the two of us falling off the board, getting back on and trying to stay warm?

The only way you can answer this is to go and try it, a few metres off-shore and with assistance at hand.

Last time I met Ray Goodwin face to face he got us to do a January, midnight on Lake Bala ‘all in’ rescue… Then again we all ‘fell in’ on his instruction the second day in big waves and high winds. I was amazed at some of the faffage some folk demonstrated (as 5* Canoe candidates).

Since then I have practised it and made staff at the outdoor centre practice it in Open Canoes. I can fall in and be back in an upright boat in about 30 seconds these days(!), second person back on board in another 20-30 seconds, then every other boat take longer to paddle to than to flip up dry. My boat is set up every time to do rescues and tows.

I haven’t ever tried any of this with inflatables. Only kayaks and canoes of all shapes (And a 27′ Drascombe (-; ) )

As with all things outdoors, we can focus on the risks and the ‘whatabout’ – but at the end of the day it is risk benefit judgement. The benefits of winder paddling are wonderful, the risks can be managed pretty well, but you do need to have thought about them.

Some winter images to brighten up a fearful thread…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qQaBEN]Canoe Loch Tay Islands, Killin[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qPi1yh]Loch Achray Canoe[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qecPk7]Loch Ard Canoe December 2014 – Ghillie Kettle[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iumq3y]Canoe River Eamont and Eden[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

(Not seen: the drive up A9 in 2 feet of snow the night before)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dp8XWD]Canoe river Spey[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

dero
    Free Member

The only way you can answer this is to go and try it, a few metres off-shore and with assistance at hand.

Not really the only way but do as matt_outandabout also says, think about the risks.

Be realsitic about your own abilities and understand the conditions you’re planning to paddle in. What’s the wind doing or forecast to do..? 15 knots and above will see choppy water and if it’s offshore from your launch point you may/will struggle to paddle back.

Inland waters can get down to 3c over winter, I’d guess Ullswater isn’t much above this currently.
    A SUP is fairly easy to get back on but what if you’ve injured yourself or for some reason can’t get back on and you’re in 3c water for an hour? A cheap thin wetsuit won’t keep you warm.

So paddle through the winter if you want, just pick the right conditions, wear the right kit and be prepared for unwanted mishaps. A mobile in a proper waterproof bag is good insurance.

matt_outandabout

I guessed it was a counterweight?

That is how they can be used – it will lift water above water surface as the boat tilts.

ajc
    Free Member

If your inexperienced I’d give anything tidal or large open expanses of water a miss whilst their are such cold winds and low water temp. It’s going to be fine until it’s not, and then it could go wrong really fast. There is a reason the rnli have had so many call outs in the last year.

poolman
    Free Member

Local advice is the key, I have a sit on top and had brilliant fun over the years. The chap we go with monitors the wind and direction forecasts, we change launch location a few times.

I have only fallen in once it’s quite a shock, worth practicing.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m sure you’ve got the message by now, but since I’m bored I’ll chuck in my two pence worth.

Kayaking is amazing. It is so intense that other sports like climbing, ice climbing skiing, MTBing, snowboarding etc just don’t compare…. Thing mountain biking but with the trail also moving.

But it is also hidioudly dangerous.

Be careful

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Watching with interest as I’ve been thinking about getting an inflatable kayak – sounds like the rough plan of, “begin in the summer, in a local waist-deep canal, and take up a colleague’s offer of advice” is about right.
    And don’t rush into going on the river…

jam-bo

Kayaking is amazing. It is so intense that other sports like climbing, ice climbing skiing, MTBing, snowboarding etc just don’t compare…. Thing mountain biking but with the trail also moving.

i’m guessing you’ve never been to the medway…

(i cut my kayaking teeth doing slalom at yalding before anyone gets defensive)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Inflatable kayaks, first time, 7deg C. What’s the worst that could happen?’ is closed to new replies.