Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Inflatable filth ponds / hot tubs – how much does yours cost to run?
  • Premier Icon RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hello

We’ve had the mobile filth pond on for 4 months and haven’t had an electricity bill in that time. This morning I got a bit of a shock with the chirpy email from Bulb (I’ve yet to work out what it costs per day).

So, has anyone worked out what theirs costs to run at what temperature?

I feel I should go and turn it off right now but don’t want to risk the kids and wife losing the modicum of respect/love for me that they now appear to have 🤔😐

Premier Icon maloney19710776
    Free Member

About £40 electrickery per month

Premier Icon dawson

£480/yr to heat a hot tub? Blimey.

Free Member

worth every penny

Premier Icon scuttler

Same situation. Looking forward to my bill…

Premier Icon RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Tbh we use ours a lot and in all weathers.

It’s been a sanity – saver this week as we’re all in self isolation as Mrs RRR is Covid plague positive 😕

Can’t even go for a walk, stupid virus 🦠

Free Member

yup, 3-5 times a week all year round.As little as 15 minutes, as much as two hours a time depending what I’m up to, lovely after after a cool night ride, even better when there’s snow on the ground.Cut costs if you like by only using weekends and filling each time using gas, probably drop by 2/3rds in my experience.

Premier Icon RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^ do you keep yours at a constant temperature or keep it low and turn it up a few hours before use?

It’d make sense to keep it low but I never know quite when I want to use it. Not quite so relaxing at 30 degrees ..

Free Member

It seems pointless turning it down in my situation, it only comes up at 1°C per hour at best, during that time it is a 2kW heater on constantly. I run it at 39°C all the time, unless I’m away for three or more days.

Premier Icon WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Ours is a fixed, non-inflatable tub. I use it for hydrotherapy as much as lounging around as it really helps relax of my bad leg. This means I don’t have long soaks in hot baths like I used to. Our combine bills for gas and elec went down as keeping the tub at a constant 37 was cheaper than filling the normal bath 3 times a week.

Plus much more convenient, always ready, can jump in for 20 minutes while the sauna heats up, fun for friends etc

I use it less that the sauna I added at the same time but still once of twice most weeks. Sauna is better than hot tub for tired muscles btw

Premier Icon Rockhopper
    Free Member

Presumably you add some kind of chemicals to the water? Sounds like a Legionella breeding ground otherwise.

Free Member

Legionella? Three years and I ain’t dead yet.

Premier Icon cynic-al

That or Salmonnaire’s disease.

Premier Icon WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Whole selection of different chemicals to keep it clean from Chlorine which is cheap and easy but can smell and makes plastic parts brittle to ozone and UV which is for communal places as it is expensive to set up but effective on high volumes

Premier Icon db

I think our fixed coast spa cost around £20 a month. Kept at 37ish degrees and used 2-3 times a week. PV solar offset the cost, on a bright day I can be working at home with laptop, screens on, normal fridge, freezer, router etc and the hot tub cycling without drawing power from the grid according to smart meter.

Premier Icon fossy

About £40 a month for ours. We have it in a covered gazebo, which has sides, so we can use it in all weathers. Usually kept at 39-40 degrees 24/7

Premier Icon fossy

Chemicals – yep, roughly a spoon of chlorine after each use then top up every few days if not in use. We also add PH plus to increase the water PH so it works better with the chlorine. Occasional defoamer, and clarifier (tiny drop). Chlolorine does the most work. Change filters often – most can be washed in the washer and re-used.

You get used to how much chemicals you need without having to keep testing the water. An occasional shock dose of chlorine is needed someties (i.e. you put in over double) and leave it to work – means you don’t use the tub for a couple of days.

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Purely from a financial point of view, just like with an immersion heater, it is cheaper to only have the hot tub heater turned on when you want to use it.

While the hot tub heater might take some time to get the water from ambient temp to your desired temp, it might be worth working out how much of the old water you need to remove and replace with hot water from your hot water tap or a number of kettle boils, to help speed up the process of reaching your desired temp.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.